Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 10:26   #61
Senior - BHPian

My advice would be to wait till the Linea is launched, which would be another couple of
weeks. Wait if you can. Then test drive both the Honda City and the Linea and take your pick. But, do not ever close your eyes and buy any car, whether be it a Honda or a Fiat.
Old 5th December 2008, 11:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Mr.Sameel, you can buy a car of your choice!

But, please stop degrading others cars & brands here!
You have not seen a Linea for real, forget test driving it, and you are commenting here like a Auto expert from BBC.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:21   #63
BHPian

here we go again!

i am not an auto expert from BBC.

But i do train new engineers joining Bosch in the EDC17 platform. for your kind info the Fiat MJD is one gen older compared to this. its EDC16 genration! i had to study that engine inside out for taking training session on the said engine!!

the Swift ABS unit is Bosch ver5. just for your info

we guys have done the on vehicle testing scorpio here in Bosch.

we were responsible for getting that Mhawk detuned to 120bhp from 140bhp ( read the vehicles suspension - read ride behaiviour! and breaks werent good enough for that kind of power)
yes we have done the complete project on edc16 c8 ECU on the Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 CRDe and yes the new Mhawk EDC16c39 and the yet to be released ingenio ( aka Xylo) EDC17c04 engine management system and you expect me to think that i am not an auto expert???

if i say that i am a novice in engine systems i am pretty sure many over here will say otherwise!!
guys from PSI auto tuning box techs had consulted with me on releasing the Power box for Ingenio!! they are confused since EDC17 is a tad too complicated. its not simple to fool the RPS since the max output from that is 5v instead of 2v in EDC16

leave the indian customers.

i am designated as platform demonstrator for P596 - mercedes benz 3cyl - diesel hybrid using EDC17CP08 ecu and for Toyota/isuzu p597 that is a 1.6l Crdi engine.
any ideas what this means?? we do developement , integration , testing and demonsration on the platform demonstrator demo vehicle. and yes you can do a hell lot in injection patterns in CRDi engines to get power & smooth delivery its the vehicle dynamics that is suspension and chassis set-up which become limiting factors!! we are forced to study all of that so as to make a suitable power output from engine!!

we guys have to do from scratch to vehicle!

and you think i am degrading other brands?? i was talking facts.

i hope you know that the 1.3 MJD has a timimng chain instead of the conventional timing belt( this is a good thing but since chain usually wont break off like timing belts) still it aint good either any ideas why?? over time the links in the Chain become weak though it wont break off it will start getting noisy!!( and also lead to incorrect timing issues but these are taken care by offset diagnosis in EPM module of the ECU! - clever *******s!!) but this is overlooked since its not noticable in the begining!! - i would call them as cheaters! you can call them clever for all i care. the thing with timing belt is that the life for it is 80k kms that is good enough atleast one can change it before that life ends to a new one. and maintain a steay timing performance!( valve opening stuff - this is for info of very novice guys)

in the chain case the life mentioned is 100k miles that is 160000kms ( this is for name sake its supposed to go double of that because obviously the Chain just cannot break since its made of metal and not from rubber as in belt!)
the poor customer he will be helpless since after the long usage say around 60k+ kms onwards the engine will make more noise all the while his engine will be running ok. ( thats what the service guys will say because as per them things are ok!)

he will be stuck with it!!
the timing chain\belt is crucial( dont expect me to answer why . that would be so lame ) in the timing system of the car.

there are more but i am keeping my mouth shut cause i know what are my limits in letting out engine design issues! there are issues with other engines too. but they are on safer side because they go for the lower life- hence replace the component hence the mantra disels are more maintanance its true in this case.

the Fiat MJD was made with one objective to break that myth- a diesel burner can be as maintanance free as the petrol sibling!! they achieved it and the timing chain thingy is just the tip of the ice-berg. on how they went about it.

so please dont think i have to degrade other cars.
i know what i am talking about very well. we guys know from design level when things go wrong in track testing they get back to us for corrections and you expect me to think that i dont know how the vehicle bahaves???

cheers

Sameel

Last edited by sameel : 5th December 2008 at 12:24. Reason: excessive smilies. lolz
Old 5th December 2008, 12:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

I dont want to start a debate but I find your argument amusing @sameel.
Someone wanted to know if it makes sense for him to wait till Linea is lanched or should he go ahead with ANHC right away.

People were giving opinions based on the information/impressions they have about these two cars. But you called them as 'jokes' since the Linea is not 'lanuched' yet. Now I see you recomending to go for one of cars with closed eyes

Also, I wonder how ethical it is for someone who is working for a vendor who supplies parts to OEMs to give away inside information (in however subtle way) and trying to influence end cutsomers of a product on a public forum. I wonder if Bosch approves this conduct!

Last edited by Guna : 5th December 2008 at 12:44.
Old 5th December 2008, 13:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Its good to have people have designed and implemented and instructed people on A to Z of automation excellence. Its even better that when they are bored they race and beat the pulp out of Porsche's and Ferrari's in their "powerful" Verna.

I guess 2009 will be the year Verna making an appearance in Le Mans
Old 5th December 2008, 14:03   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
If you are looking for petrol i would say go for honda.If it is diesel your only option in between two cars is Linea.
Linea is a solid car with lot of features.Hope A S S will be better.
Since you have driven it a lot a brief review about it would have helped. IIRC, you said its 90bhp felt underpowered.

Sameel; please make you posts more legible by using caps etc when needed.

Last edited by jkdas : 5th December 2008 at 14:04.
Old 5th December 2008, 15:00   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Its good to have people have designed and implemented and instructed people on A to Z of automation excellence. Its even better that when they are bored they race and beat the pulp out of Porsche's and Ferrari's in their "powerful" Verna.

I guess 2009 will be the year Verna making an appearance in Le Mans
Did you forget the Fuel Economy figures of the Porsche & Ferrari. The Verna can beat that too!
Old 5th December 2008, 15:17   #68
Senior - BHPian

@Sameel - Though i found the info shared by you interesting and ifnormative i still feel its irrelevant in the context of the thread. The main Q is City or Linea so lets kindly stick to it and do not be so much judgemental about a car which is yet to be launched.

@Anarch- Am i seeing a hint of Sarcasm there

Last edited by harry10 : 5th December 2008 at 15:19.
Old 5th December 2008, 16:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

@Anarch- Am i seeing a hint of Sarcasm there
Come on Harry,

Its a fact for the respective owner to be proud of . Be it a Ferrari or a Verna when they can match the word "Powerful" .
Old 5th December 2008, 16:29   #70
Senior - BHPian

@ everyone above

We are here to discuss about the ANHC and the upcoming Fiat Linea.Why are people talking about Verna,Santro etc..? come to the point of discussion!
Old 5th December 2008, 16:46   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Come on Harry,

Its a fact for the respective owner to be proud of . Be it a Ferrari or a Verna when they can match the word "Powerful" .
Ferrari, the word 'Powerful' is so appropriate for it. Verna though doesn't matches that however i still maintain its the most fun to drive among ANHC,NHC,Fiesta,Sx4 etc which i have driven till date.
Anyways back To Linea- A friend whose working with Tata informed me yesterday the base model is at 7.63 ex showroom(take it as a speculation only). He iwill try to get a sheet of specs and pricing when he will be trained for it from 7-10dec.

Edit - That completes the amazing journey of my 500 posts on this amazing platform
Old 5th December 2008, 16:47   #72
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to stay off-topic here, but whatever @sameel is mentioning is interesting.

There are a few Swift diesel owners here. Maybe, their comments about whether they hear more engine noise once their car is past 60k km will be interesting to know.

I am sure Fiat would have done enough R&D before going the timing chain way, but since you have been associated with that engine in some way, I would definitely lend my ears to your comments. Also, the same engine is there in many cars worldwide. Maybe, a google on the problems people are facing could give us ideas. I haven't done that yet, but will do so later.
Old 5th December 2008, 16:58   #73
BHPian

Its too boring to read all that gyan then someone out here will come and say I'm with NASA and we are instrumental in making the F1 cars aerodynamics !!

I would comfortably assume by reading all the reviews that the Linnea would beat the ANHC, so go for a TD when it launches and decide thats my best bet
Old 5th December 2008, 18:40   #74
BHPian

i will help with what ever problems are faced within my limits.

will begin a separate thread if required here we are back to ANHC or Linea.

petrol then go for ANHC its released and is doing well. and will be more or less trouble free due to the simple fact it being a honda and a petrol engine.

Linea will be a good bet if you want a diesel and you are running for long say like 60+ km in a day then only you can offset the initial extra cost of the vehicle. in around two years i guess not sure i think a senior member here had done a good write up of it. but yes that would mean you will be doing more kms and yes more maintanance. and yes diesel components are costlier compared to petrol ones.

so its your call but do test drive all the cars in your budget and never do the mistake of driving the most fun one at the begining this wont help in making a good judgement of other cars!. you will be looking for the better of the last cars plus points which you will never get and end up dissapointed!

so good luck with your purchase!

cheers
Old 5th December 2008, 18:52   #75
BHPian

Need help to post a new thread in Team BHP

I am a member of Team BHP but an unable to find the ink topost / start a new topic. All i can do is REPLY to a post....

please help.

Soumo Chatterjee
Pune
Cell - 9970411311
Closed Thread

Most Viewed