Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 21:57   #16
BHPian

Snaronikar, It depens upon the dealer. Since i know Fiat Tata i know what i am taking about. Once my Fiat's alternator failed and i had to get it sourced personally. I have heard similar things about Ford. Thats why i said that. Since both the manufacturers have limted dealers i want to be on a safer side for the over all A**

But what matters to me ia a Quality automobile.
Old 28th November 2008, 15:09   #17

Fida

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
Thank you all guys for the replies.
well even i was initially going to settle for the Multi jet. But then i will have 2 same cars. that was when the TDci ikon came which gives me similar build quality and handling so got a lil confused.

I dont have much need for boot space. Also i wont mind having one with a boot or 2 palios.

I stay at janakpuri and will be going to mathura road for both TDs. Vivek auto and south city ford. Also for color options if Palio then white and if Ikon then black. Soucth city ford says that car will be delivered in january and is available in black whereas Vivek Auto says they dont have in White and can only order once the existing lot sell. They are offering Grey or red readily available.

Please give an idea for the after sales. I know both sucks but may be a better one would be prefered.

Anyways will be TDing in this sunday and will revert the feed backs to all you guys till then its you bhpians who will be driving me to a final decision.
Go for Ford Ikon tdci its a better buy than palio which is a big letdown in service. The availability of spare parts for FIAT is a big diappointment and no proper backup by tata. (am not talking about regular service its all about paid maintinence)
Old 28th November 2008, 16:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdrifter08 View Post
Go for Ford Ikon tdci its a better buy than palio which is a big letdown in service. The availability of spare parts for FIAT is a big diappointment and no proper backup by tata. (am not talking about regular service its all about paid maintinence)
Is that so. I thought things have been drastically improving. At least thats the experience with most owners. Its not like the old TVS days when no one was bothered about the customer.

But of course it all depends on the attitude of the particular service centre.
Old 28th November 2008, 20:21   #19
BHPian

Why not Swift/Dzire in consideration?
Old 28th November 2008, 21:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Why not Swift/Dzire in consideration?
Have marked your answer in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
Hi all,

My Basic Requirements:
I like only well built cars which are sturdy. I'll keep this for 7 years. So Indicas(Indica Indigo, CS) are a no no. I hate rattles.

Ride and Handling should be very good. I love to take fast corners.

Safe and Fuel efficient.
Well, as many have said, this is a tough one.
Palio SDX would come in approx 50K cheaper than the Ikon and it would also give you a better mileage. The saved 50k can go in for good ICE and maybe alloys, etc.
This is what a practical solution is according to me, since you dont mind two same cars.

But, If I was in your place, I would have gone in for the Ikon. Simply because there is different driving fun with different vehicles and I would prefer two different types with me rather than two same ones. I own a Palio 1.6 but still, whenever I get a chance I drive other cars like my friends WagonR & my brother Swift LXI & VDI.
Hope you get what I mean.
Old 28th November 2008, 23:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Streetlife, Ikon.

A hatch doesn't grow too long or handle multiple peoples' requirements as well. Else both are lovely vehicles. And except for the rear, the ikon inside/front looks like a new vehicle. Palio unfortunately is still dated (that I think its a smashing vehicle is separate)/
Old 29th November 2008, 04:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ikon, please. It would be more fun to drive and has a boot - will come in handy, though you think you don't need it.

Do not be fooled by the 68bhp figure for the Tdci engine. It is a very highway capable car, I have seen Fiesta's(Tdci) rocketing down highways.
Old 29th November 2008, 11:12   #23
BHPian

go for ikon,you already own a palio.ikon tdci is a new model.
btw:what is the difference in the OTR price between the two.
Old 29th November 2008, 13:05   #24
BHPian

Since you already have a palio and not going to sell it then it makes sense to go for the Ford,if you think of selling your palio try asking your fiat dealer for a good exchange offer.
Old 29th November 2008, 16:45   #25
Senior - BHPian

I suggest test drive both the diesel cars & then decide.
Old 29th November 2008, 20:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Ikon, please. It would be more fun to drive and has a boot - will come in handy, though you think you don't need it.

Do not be fooled by the 68bhp figure for the Tdci engine. It is a very highway capable car, I have seen Fiesta's(Tdci) rocketing down highways.
I agree. Ikon any day. fun to drive. TD it and then take your call.
Old 8th December 2008, 07:44   #27
BHPian

Hi all,

I went for a TD for the ikon this sunday. The car is great but the delivery will be only after January. And i need a car within this month.
In the mean while i test drove the Swift and the A-Star. Swift because of the delivery problem i cannot take but i quilte liked the A-Star. Fuel efficiency as told is about 20kmpl. And the guy told that he can give a ready delivery in White. I really liked the interiors but i am not a fan of the exterior.
I just want to ask if it will actualy delliver 20kmpl and consider it or get a Multijet.
I'll be finalyzing on this Wednesday.
Waiting for inputs.
Old 8th December 2008, 08:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nonsense man. What!!

Let me lay it out nicely for you:
a. The A Star is a PUNIER cousin of the swift. Its a 1L engine for the love of God, and is trumped all around by the i10 1.2 except FE. It doesnt come half as much fun as MJD
b. That fuel economy of 20 is stupid yaar. Its unachievable in city, and especially in slow traffic areas. There's a whole thread here on how Alto doesnt get barely above 15 (and even lower for some unlucky ones). Find me a single 1L engine that gets 20ish economy in the city yaar for 80% people.
c. The Multijet is a much bigger/better car. Maruti as a manufacturer does useless cost cutting. The EPS is a complete and utter joke. Take it from a Swift VDi owner - its a lovely handling car, very nicely designed but a "toy"ish steering. The heights of cost cutting all around don't make me trust it any more.
d. Looks - The AStar's face is UGLY man. And the rear is so Alto. Period. But yeah, Multijet just needs revised dashboard else its a lovely car.
e. MJD suits a laid back straight driving style, not hunched over (like I am).
f. MJD HAS NVH levels higher, and is inside the cabin, but ICE solves it totally.
g. Maruti ACs I've never found great (personal best: Indica). Swift's AC sucks for delhi heat.
h. A diesel (or a CNG) is cheap. The current drop in prices is temporary - let recession get out, you'll get things costly again.
i. If you are within 15-20km(or a good road) to Samyak, patparganj, then you have a lovely As.S - Maruti Apra is good(really nice mgmt), but like (in)Competent is nowhere near high on customer service parameters.

PS: If you have Cash, you can sometimes push your way - dealers do manage. Dekh lo.

MJD SDX is what I'd say. There's many on the roads now too.
Old 8th December 2008, 12:42   #29
BHPian

Hope you have checked the delivery time on MJD, I feel that would also take till Jan, you must be lucky to get one immediately.

Astar could be a nice car but cant compare that to a Palio MJD period
Old 8th December 2008, 16:18   #30
BHPian

It's tough to compare and choose between MJD and Ikon since both are different products (hatch vs sedan).

MJD meets your requirements and comes cheaper. MJD A** has to be better compared to Ford IKON TDCi since MJD has been in market for more than a year. It's an established product with quite a few numbers on the road already, hence obviously, Fiat A** are expected to have much better knowledge about servicing MJD, than their Ford counterparts. Also MJD spares would be anyday cheaper compared to new IKON TDCi.

MJD is the obvious choice. The only odd thing with buying MJD is you will end-up having 2 hatches with same make/model and almost same looks. To avoid this if at all you are thinking beyond MJD then go for IKON. Don't think A-Star or any other star.

december delivery could be big challenge for any manufaturer. I think you may have to compromise somewhere.

Most Viewed