Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 18:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you have a very competent workshop in your town and can source skoda spares from the market,then don't think twice and get a used RS.
OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks
or even a J Anand on the Cedia.
you place him on the hood or the roof?
Old 22nd December 2008, 19:53   #17
BHPian

@Nitrous:

Dude... I am very much a part of the MOTOR CITY Chennai..
So..access to BLR or CHN is not a problem..

Let me know on, what you think are competent workshops for Skoda..and I will be happy to try them out.. Any specific help is always good.

Intention ..
- Have a blast as you drive ( I am not bothered about fuel efficiency )
- Car needs to be reliable ..as I do long drives with family
- With the launch of Skoda vRS (Version 2) .. It appears that getting or sourcing spares wont be an issue

Keeping these factors...a Skoda fits the bill perfectly
Cedia gains on reliability, Ground Clearance, A possilbe gravel AUTOCROSS

I must also indicate that your post on Cedia's track day performance did spark a few hearts towards the then DORMANT Cedia
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to but couldn't this time

A Tpi was there on the Autocross and looked pretty good at the corners. The power delivery is amazing buddy.
Old 22nd December 2008, 22:17   #19
BHPian

The track looked neat. Would have been great to see some Skoda action.
Did nt see any CEdia on the list as well ...

The track seem to suit a Zen & Swift better
Old 23rd December 2008, 06:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Can you still get a new vRS? I thought that they have been phased out?
Old 23rd December 2008, 07:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

No you cannot.

But the 1.8TPi with the same heart still sells. Buy that, spend near a lakh and you can get an almost-vRS (without climate control and projector headlamps).
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:17   #22
BHPian

Skoda vRS (version 2) is out in Europe. But I am not sure if the Indian wing has plans of bringing it to the market.

Refreshed: 2009 Skoda Octavia | Indian Autos blog
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:46   #23
BHPian

Did you folks ever notice: (all?) our local rally teams base their cars on the Cedia. Curiously, why havent they chosen the vRS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
@Nitrous:

Dude... I am very much a part of the MOTOR CITY Chennai..
So..access to BLR or CHN is not a problem..

Let me know on, what you think are competent workshops for Skoda..and I will be happy to try them out.. Any specific help is always good.

Intention ..
- Have a blast as you drive ( I am not bothered about fuel efficiency )
- Car needs to be reliable ..as I do long drives with family
- With the launch of Skoda vRS (Version 2) .. It appears that getting or sourcing spares wont be an issue

Keeping these factors...a Skoda fits the bill perfectly
Cedia gains on reliability, Ground Clearance, A possilbe gravel AUTOCROSS

I must also indicate that your post on Cedia's track day performance did spark a few hearts towards the then DORMANT Cedia
Old 23rd December 2008, 11:51   #24
BHPian

I just read Ashish22's post..
When I drive..I want to drive..not to think on being safe and think about the expensive service cost ..

Cedia's platform and rally pedigree is the principal reason for the rallying circle to consider the car to be the pinnacle of INRC
Old 24th December 2008, 11:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
Cedia's platform and rally pedigree is the principal reason for the rallying circle to consider the car to be the pinnacle of INRC
Thought the Skoda was doing good in the WRC circles? Remember seeing the Fabia vRS, but no clue how they perform?
Old 24th December 2008, 17:02   #26
BHPian

Skoda did nt dazzle like the Audi's in WRC ..
Skoda Octavia World Rally Car, MSA Asphalt Rally Championship 2008, Andy Fenwick and Lee Tindall

The platform is supposed to be competitive but since the parts are expensive
and as someone stated "Over engineered cars from VW" ..its not a favorite choice for rallying
Old 25th December 2008, 14:14   #27
BHPian

i havent driven a cedia , but i have been told that it is more agile and handles better , and its easy to throw around (perfect for rally), but in comparison the rs is just too big and heavy to consider it for a rally or even a autocross, u would rather enjoy it on the highways or a track . and also octavia rs was never meant to be a rally car , skoda prepared the 2 door version for the purpose, but we do see a lot of 4 door lancers and cedias doing the rallies.
Old 25th December 2008, 15:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Did you folks ever notice: (all?) our local rally teams base their cars on the Cedia. Curiously, why havent they chosen the vRS?
That's because vRS has not been homologated for rallies. From what little I know, a manufacturer needs to get a certain model homologated by the authorities before those cars can be allowed to take part in INRC. Why Skoda didn't get the vRS homologated is anybody's guess.

Mitsubishi and maruti are 2 manufacturers who have been proactive in getting their cars homologated as well as providing support to rally teams that's why you see a lot of cedias and balenos on the rally circuit. lately Ford has also joined in with their Fiesta 1.6.
Old 25th December 2008, 15:48   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
That's because vRS has not been homologated for rallies. From what little I know, a manufacturer needs to get a certain model homologated by the authorities before those cars can be allowed to take part in INRC. Why Skoda didn't get the vRS homologated is anybody's guess.

Mitsubishi and maruti are 2 manufacturers who have been proactive in getting their cars homologated as well as providing support to rally teams that's why you see a lot of cedias and balenos on the rally circuit. lately Ford has also joined in with their Fiesta 1.6.
very true , i dint think of the homologation bit !
Old 25th December 2008, 16:05   #30
BHPian

Sorry for deviating from the vRS vs Cedia comparison, I think as far as handling and agility is concerned a Ford fiesta 1.6s has an edge over the cedias. Infact in a recent track test by ACI (or was it overdrive?) A stock fiesta 1.6s whipped a cedia and a civic, all the cars were driven by Narain karthikeyan. On a track, a cedia was nowhere as agile or precise as a fiesta 1.6s (expert's opinions, not mine).

Of course I know that rallying and track racing are different so one can't really compare. But I do know that the fiesta 1.6s, even with the 400 cc disadvantage can certainly keep up with a cedia and maybe even out run it, if only they can sort out the reliability problems. The reason why the fiestas didn't do well on their rally debut was because it suffered from a lot of breakdowns. If only there was more support from the manufacturer and they could work on the reliability issues, we might have a new kid on the block.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks