Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2008, 21:07   #31
BHPian

dude IMHO you'd be having a heartbreak if you do not go in for a Vrs... Its something you've experienced and no doubt would blow away the competition (in this case cedia)

Yeah it does have its drawback but still believe me that emotional connection with a car you share makes up for all those shortcomings. As far as the engine goes i suppose you possibly cannot go wrong with it (keeping in mind all the reputation and experiences) especially if you take good care of it.

If you think you could bear those tits and bits try finding a good used Vrs (U'd NEED LOTSA LUCK though)... Rest upon you.

Regards
Old 24th February 2009, 16:29   #32
BHPian

Is it handling or top speed you are looking at . . . keeping in mind the twisty & rough Indian roads, I think you must look at the former.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
Sorry for deviating from the vRS vs Cedia comparison, I think as far as handling and agility is concerned a Ford fiesta 1.6s has an edge over the cedias. Infact in a recent track test by ACI (or was it overdrive?) A stock fiesta 1.6s whipped a cedia and a civic, all the cars were driven by Narain karthikeyan. On a track, a cedia was nowhere as agile or precise as a fiesta 1.6s (expert's opinions, not mine).

Of course I know that rallying and track racing are different so one can't really compare. But I do know that the fiesta 1.6s, even with the 400 cc disadvantage can certainly keep up with a cedia and maybe even out run it, if only they can sort out the reliability problems. The reason why the fiestas didn't do well on their rally debut was because it suffered from a lot of breakdowns. If only there was more support from the manufacturer and they could work on the reliability issues, we might have a new kid on the block.
There are quite a few reasons for the performance in that test - the biggest being tyres. Having driven both, I felt the stock rubber on the 1.6s is a *lot* grippier than the stock rubber on the Cedia. The stock rubber that comes with the cedia is pure junk. Ofcourse there's no doubt the cedia needs a stiffer suspension setup. The stock suspension is just way too soft.

I've seen quite a few stages of the INRC and the fiestas are no way close to the cedias - either in straight lines or in the corners. Even on the small special stages, the fiestas were a whole 2-3 secs slower. Part of this can be attributed to the extra power but not all of it.

Plus there's the reliability aspect - mitsubishis are in general way way more reliable than fords and skodas. If you get a vRS, be ready for monster after sales service bills.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 24th February 2009 at 16:54.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:20   #34
BHPian

Folks...

why dont u people include CIVIC also in this race??

not because i have got a civic...but i was testing cedia..VRS(seconds) & civic when i bought my car..
Old 24th February 2009, 22:49   #35
BHPian

hey raaj,

knowing u, i guess a cedia would be a better bet. I am sure that u agree that its pointless to go after absolute power. The thrill is in being able to maneuver the available horses the best possible way. In that respect, 115 horses of a cedia and a hotbits suspension should be able to infuse more enthusiasm in you than a difficult to find RS. Why not also consider the new lancer 152 bhp petrol with evo looks that is expected mid year. Even if that 152 figure goes down a shade, it still would be a terror to play with.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why we havent seen the same tuner enthusiasm for Cedia as we saw for the lancer.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:51   #37
BHPian

Like a lot of people have suggested, go for vRS for sheer driving pleasure. But for a comfortable car which is easy on pocket for initial owning, running espenses and mods go for cedia.
Old 25th February 2009, 10:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I wonder why we havent seen the same tuner enthusiasm for Cedia as we saw for the lancer.
There is sufficient torque and power already. The stock itself is enjoyable. Unlike few other cars in segment, cedia really shows the numbers in effect. It is truly BHP than MHP. I haven't seen a Cedia dyno graph yet, but still I feel the torque/bhp curve is pretty flat. (Purely based on driving experience with cedia and many other cars in its segment).

Let me borrow Aamir khan's words from DCH, "It is difficult for perfection to improve". Now don't kick me guys for this.

Fact is that almost all the Cedia owners are still in warranty period! The trend is yet to come.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:02   #39
BHPian

you decide what is important to you -

driving pleasure vs driving comfort
short term fun vs long term association
service expenses etc......

vRS is a fun car but heavy on the pocket wrt maintenance and long term ownership cost. (believe me the number of things that go wrong on an old Skoda that has been thrashed around are too many).

On the other hand the cedia is a laid back car (agile and quick too) - the approach i.e. Its suspension is awesome (rally bred genes) is somewhat let down by the engine. But its eaier to own over a longish perio and spares are comparatively cheaper. Plus is a modders dream - plonk a K&N, FFE and others and a body kit - you have a desi firecracker on the roads.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprateep View Post
you decide what is important to you -

driving pleasure vs driving comfort
short term fun vs long term association
service expenses etc......

vRS is a fun car but heavy on the pocket wrt maintenance and long term ownership cost. (believe me the number of things that go wrong on an old Skoda that has been thrashed around are too many).
(believe me the number of things that go wrong on an old Skoda that has been thrashed around are too many).

I would say this for most of the cars. You need to be good to the car to keep the maintenance costs low
Old 25th February 2009, 11:16   #41
Senior - BHPian

I think the thread originator has not posted in two months. Perhaps, he is not interested or has made up his mind.

If I had to choose between the two and these two only, I would go for Cedia. This would be inspite of its and Mitsubishi's uncertain future. At least, the daily hassles would be less, and predictability would be more.
Old 25th February 2009, 11:35   #42
evo
BHPian

vRS anyday. Find an independent garage, they`ll service your car well. In the end, the juice is worth the squeeze! The Cedia however much I like it, just isnt that much fun.
Old 25th February 2009, 12:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried modding a Cedia? I haven't come across much on the forum.

The vRS would be awesome to have, but it's very hard to find a good specimen and of course, the maintenance costs can be high (understatement?).
I like the Cedia, but as others have said, driving it was not very exciting. It didn't feel like a 115 bhp car, and the suspension was very neutral and lacked feedback - though it was undoubtedly better than most of its competition.
To be brutally honest, in terms of sheer driving attributes (handling, response) I would rate my Lancer higher (in stock form, and of course in its presently modified form). But then I've never driven a Cedia with a modified suspension and better rubber. Am sure it'll be nicer to drive than in stock form. Any first-hand feedback?

Finally, has anyone tried plonking in a MIVEC into a Cedia?
Old 25th February 2009, 12:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

^^Plan to - My intention is to get a 4G69 or still better a 6A12 MIVEC and hotbits once I have sufficient moolah. For now have to live with stock because of the lack of green stuff. A transplant is always more reliable than messing with the engine by turbocharging. I'm not a a fan of most turbocharged engines either.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 25th February 2009 at 12:29.
Old 25th February 2009, 14:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Are they a straight fit? Or are any modifications needed to the engine mounts?
4G69? Hmm, haven't seen too many of those being transplanted. Would probably be more expensive than a 6A12, right, given that it's still in production?
How much do you think the transplant will cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks