Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2008, 16:16   #1
BHPian

Used Baleno or New Accent Executive? EDIT - Its Accent

Hello,

I am still looking for my first car. I wanted to get a beat up, fun to drive used car to master the nuances of driving. 2.5L was my budget but my parents upped it to 5L if I will get one that is reliable (new or TrueValue) and has good after sales service (Maruti or Hyundai).

I have narrowed it down to a TrueValue Maruti Baleno (2005, 40k Kms) for 3.5L or a new Hyundai Executive for about 5L.

I intend to use the car for about 3-4 years. :-)

Also considering the Ikon 1.4 TDCi but I don't know if the diesel engine would be as responsive as the petrol ones above.

Thanks!
Old 18th December 2008, 16:35   #2
BHPian

Are you looking for petrol or a diesel vehicle? When you compare a Baleno with an Accent, I think Baleno is the best.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Between a used Baleno and a new Accent, I would say go for the Accent.

A new car is anyday a better bet than a used one whose history you dont know and which could have been abused.

And you know what, if you can have the Ikon-D in your budget, just go for it. Not only is diesel cheaper (less fuel cost), but you also get more FE. And the engine is known to be good.

Since you are a new driver, either of these choices will be fun to drive.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 18th December 2008 at 16:42.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:40   #4
BHPian

Petrol. I don't really have the need for diesel. I had hardly covered 15,000 kms on my P180 in 2 years. Why do you say that? Is it actually more fun to drive a Baleno than an Accent? Being a newbie driver graduating from a motorcycle, both kind of feels under-responsive to me. :( But then, I didn't get to drive either of them past 40 kmph. I figured I will rather post here and get opinions of experienced drivers who would have driven both the cars. I really don't want to regret the purchase after a few months.

Thanks.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

please use search. lot of info available. no brainer it should be a baleno if there are only the two cars that you mentioned.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:41   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

On a pure FTD factor the baleno wins hands down. If you are looking at going slightly over 5L why not look at a 2nd hand elantra? Should be able to get good ones at around 5-6L. Comes bundled with loads of safety features, bolt on a Pete's box and you get one hell of a quick car that returns incredible FE and the fuel you put in comes at a way cheaper price too.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

1) If you are seriously looking forward to Fun to Drive, go for Baleno. You will also end up saving Rs. 1.5 lakh.

Also the FE would be slightly better in case of Baleno apart from better ride quality and more space.
Old 18th December 2008, 16:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Are you looking for petrol or a diesel vehicle? When you compare a Baleno with an Accent, I think Baleno is the best.
Petrol. I don't see a reason to go for a diesel vehicle, leave alone a first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Between a used Baleno and a new Accent, I would say go for the Accent.
A new car is anyday a better bet than a used one whose history you dont know and which could have been abused.
But since it is coming from a TrueValue showroom, wouldn't they have checked the history completely before taking the car in? Thanks. Me and my parents are also leaning more towards the new Accent but I want to know if it really has a better engine (on road) than the Baleno, or at least similar.

Thanks. :-)

Last edited by lynx : 18th December 2008 at 16:59.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:04   #9
BHPian

If you are looking at just those two cars, I would suggest go for a new car.

If you want other options for pure driving fun, you can look at Fiat - Palio -1.6 petrol, which is an awesome car to drive, and comes with a good ***.

My 2 paise
Old 18th December 2008, 17:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

@ lynx:

If you looking only for these sedans, buy that used Baleno and save that money for something else.
Verify health of that used Baleno with help of good mechanic before buying that Baleno.

Comment on suggestion about used Elantra: We (BHPians) are known to blow up budgets (of others & our own), be it for ICE (music system), Cars or anything else. So, fix up your limit & TRY to stay within that.

No offense meant to anyone.
Old 18th December 2008, 17:52   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
If you want other options for pure driving fun, you can look at Fiat - Palio -1.6 petrol, which is an awesome car to drive, and comes with a good ***.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa
Comment on suggestion about used Elantra: We (BHPians) are known to blow up budgets (of others & our own), be it for ICE (music system), Cars or anything else. So, fix up your limit & TRY to stay within that.
Haven't you read the statuary warning thread ?
Old 19th December 2008, 17:00   #12
BHPian

I'd say go for the Baleno,having driven both the Accent and Baleno quite a lot its your best bet.From a TrueValue outlet it should be reliable.Its your first car and assuming you're an enthusiast you won't go wrong with the Baleno.
Old 20th December 2008, 00:09   #13
BHPian

a new car is any day a better bet dude.
the maruti swift vxi will also fall in your budget.its a fun to drive car .
the palio 1.6 comes with a lot of goodies ,alloys included and looks hot in red.its damn fun to drive as well at a finger lickin price.
you could also look at a 2003/2002 end corolla which should fall in your budget.
even the NHC 2004-2005 model will fall in your budget.its a highly practical and a great city sedan and with its light controls is fun to drive as well and fuel efficient too.
in your budget you have a lot of options.explore all of them before you decide
Old 20th December 2008, 00:26   #14
BHPian

Based on my test drive experience I'd think Baleno is fun to drive compared to Accent. But New car (vs) old car puzzle is no great one to solve, go for a new one any day.
Old 20th December 2008, 00:26   #15
jat
BHPian

Based on only one parameter - fun to drive, it is Baleno.

Others factors are completely exculded.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks