Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:34   #1

Advice Needed - Used Sedan at <4.5L

Hi Guys,
I am looking around for a used sedan(petrol), but am terribly confused..HELP Please!!!
- I am going to use the car about 600-650 kms per month, 80% city 20% highway
- sedan bcause I may be making some outstation trips as well.
- sedan because of the space requirements
- a new hatchback has lesser feature compared to a good used sedan car
- OTR prices for decent hatchbacks above 4.5L

Had decided on
- 2Gen Honda City (2004) - Rs 4.6L??? Will I get one for that price in Bangalore??
-Hyundai Accent Rs.3 to 4 L depending on model / year
-Ford Fiesta - around Rs 4.3 - 4.5 for a 1.4 and if lucky for a 1.6 sxi

I need some expert advice on
- maintainence
- mileage (looking around 11kmpl>)
- spare parts costs
- features
- handling, safety & the works..

I test drove all 3 cars and obviously Honda comes up top, but am worried about service costs.
With the Accent I am getting conflicting reports on mileage. Some say mileage is 9kmpl and some say 12kmpl in city!! whats the right verdict???
Ford - good but again people saying parts & service going to be expensive, even more than the city...

Since this is my first car, people are advising on the accent since its durable and less costly for a 2nd hand car!! and cheap parts...but am still concerned bout the mileage part!
PLan to use the car for at least 3 years..so ieally resale value also comes into picture..

Would really appreciate any help you guys can provide!
Old 24th December 2008, 11:59   #2
BHPian

Nothing beats the fresh smell of a new car, so why not up the budget by ~50k and buy a brand new Indigo CS or the Logan 1.4?
Old 24th December 2008, 14:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Nothing beats the fresh smell of a new car, so why not up the budget by ~50k and buy a brand new Indigo CS or the Logan 1.4?
i to strongly suggest you get a new logan or a indigo cs

out of the two i would suggest a logan as it fulfills all of your requirements and after the recent discount its even more VFM and i myself own a diesel one
Old 24th December 2008, 14:40   #4
BHPian

are there any used corollas available in banglore within 5L?? If they are then this car could also be a good option.
In Delhi/NCR used corolla is available for as low as 4.5L
Old 24th December 2008, 15:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rohan - at that budget definetly you should look at a new car given your requirements.
but if you are really inclined to the above 3 options for some reason, then you could go for the ACCENT - its a no nonsense car and I am not sure why you are so concerned with the conflicting mileage figures you heard. Even if you assume u get only 9kmpl, for your kind of running, it hardly matters.
I just did a quick calculation and found that if you get 9 instead of your expected 11kmpl, you end up paying some 8k more per year !! which is a pittance - given the fact that a used ACCENT would be well below your budget.
and btw - FIESTA prices would have dropped given the huge drop in the new FIESTA pricing
Old 24th December 2008, 16:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

gah, no second hand fords, especially ones which are out of warranty
Old 24th December 2008, 16:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Either go for Accent of City. Accent is still in production. Moreover, try getting a good deal out of Accent. Accent is in production and hence it will be a positive point.

Consider Indigo CS also.
Old 24th December 2008, 23:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Go and pick a Honda City - 2006 model, 30 - 40k kms done, should not cost more than 4 lacs IMO.

Best car you can get, Better than Accent.

If you up the budget then I' recommend a New Logan Petrol or Accent Executive.

Keep in mind that Accent is now a bit dated.
Old 25th December 2008, 11:37   #9

Thanks for the advice Sirs!!

4L for a 2d Gen HC? in Blore??? where?? please let me know..
I checked with most dealers and for like 2004 model Gxi they were not willing to budge below 4.6L..maybe the Exi?

How is the Indigo in performance?? It does have all good features and all..but compared to an accent does it match up?..
(i am still a bachelor..so not also exactly looking for a comlpetely sedate family vehicle ... )
Old 25th December 2008, 21:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanverdes1 View Post
Thanks for the advice Sirs!!

4L for a 2d Gen HC? in Blore??? where?? please let me know..
I checked with most dealers and for like 2004 model Gxi they were not willing to budge below 4.6L..maybe the Exi?

How is the Indigo in performance?? It does have all good features and all..but compared to an accent does it match up?..
(i am still a bachelor..so not also exactly looking for a comlpetely sedate family vehicle ... )
The indigo isnt a bad car at all. In fact the CS is one of the better looking tatas that have rolled out. But reliability is a major issue wit tata. I see a lot of tatas going up in smoke(literally). And I'm not sure if they have great A.S.S.
The accent is a pleasure to drive, and yes I do remember my friends telling me that its a bit of a guzzler. But then again, if you can drive the car well, I'm sure you can churn out a good 10 or 11 per litre.
Old 25th December 2008, 21:36   #11
BHPian

You might also want to have a look at New Accent, since you mentioned it. It does has aged looks but is quite reliable.

Most Viewed