Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 07:59   #76
BHPian

My choice will be Punto, even I went thru this confusion and went ahead and brought Punto. Punto has only 35 lit less boot space than dezire :-)
Ow its Fast, more safe , better looking, better handling car than Dezire. Also maintenance is not an issue spares cost evenly matched. Go for the car which puts smile while you are driving.
parimal_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2012, 09:44   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Premium Hatchback or Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
I have shortlisted two cars and am confused on making a decision. I will be buying the new car through company lease in Jan '13.

1. Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion

2. Dzire ZDI
The biggest advantage the dzire has is A.S.S. Once fiat improves that you wouldn't even need to ask this question. If the additional cost and potential headaches of servicing are not a concern, go ahead and get the punto.

Given you are paying 1L or so less, it is difficult to see how much you might lose from depreciation.

Your current needs are suited for a punto. If a second child is due shortly, then consider the additional space offered by the dzire. Am sure you know how much luggage children require just to leave the house.

If you are going to be solo most of the time, the smaller the car, the better. Parking, maneuverability, turning circle etc. are all better in the punto. Seeing as you are not planning too many long distance drives with a full car, why pay extra and wait longer for features you won't use.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:31   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW, Mercedes hatchbacks head for India after China let down.

Quote:

The German companies say they plan to sell small cars in India from this year, with Mercedes introducing the entry-level A class in mid-2013, followed by BMW with its 1 series. Audi may introduce the similar-sized A3 in 2014.

A growing middle class, chronic shortages of parking and road-space in India's teeming cities, together with an obsession for fuel efficiency should spell a windfall for makers of premium compact cars

Old 27th January 2013, 14:50   #79
BHPian

The driving comfort requirement would definitely mean it is better to go for Punto
Though i want to put a disclaimer that it is better to give advise than implement it, I myself am going thru a dilemma on which hatchback to buy
I started off with the plan to buy a Sedan but felt that Hatchbacks are the way for me
Sorry to add to the confusion but if you need a decent boot and assuming Diesel is the fuel, you can try the Figo Titanium, just my 2 cents
Old 27th January 2013, 22:29   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
1. Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion
2. Dzire ZDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
If you are going to be solo most of the time, the smaller the car, the better. Parking, maneuverability, turning circle etc. are all better in the punto.
Considering Punto as a smaller car because it is a hatch is not actually true.

Punto and Dzire are almost equal in size- just 8mm each is the difference in length and width between the two.
Length: Punto-3987, Dzire-3995
Width: Punto-1687, Dzire-1695

Infact, Dzire has a better turning radius of 4.8m than Punto's 5m and hence Dzire would be better for parking and maneuverability in city driving.

When it comes to boot space, there is not much difference in the spec between Punto's 280L and Dzire's 315L. Since Punto has 60:40 foldable rear seats while Dzire doesn't even have folding option, Punto's would be the more practical boot among the two.

Due to higher kerb weight of Punto (50kg more than Dzire), Dzire would be having a slightly better performance than Punto. Being heavier helps Punto give a more planted feel and better ride quality.

So it would be a trade-off depending on your priorities.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 12:52   #81
BHPian

zenren has put a beautiful comparison and i agree to that
But then there are few more tradeoffs,
1. service - Maruti is miles ahead
2. offers - Ofcourse i believe there are better offers on Punto than DZire
3. Interiors - While Seating on front seats of Punto will be better, rear bench is terrible and some say Punto has poor plastics,i did not find so but did feel that design is outdated compared to the fresh looks of DZire dash
Old 29th January 2013, 21:38   #82
BHPian

http://kochi.quikr.com/HONDA-ACCORD-...AdIdZ103734934

i found this advert on quikr.com A Honda accord sold by the dealer with a cash discount of Rs.4,00,000/-
Old 18th April 2013, 13:00   #83

A premium hatchback or a compact sedan: Which one to buy?

With the launch of the Honda Amaze and the upcoming Mahindra Vibe, the sub-four-meter compact car options have widened. The question in my mind is: Is it better to buy a premium hatchback just under four meters in length, or is a compact sedan of similar length a better option?
My opinion is that premium hatches such as the i20, Polo, Punto, the Jazz (when it makes a comeback) are better alternatives to compact sedans such as the Honda Amaze, Swift Dzire, Indigo eCS, or the Mahindra Verito. The main reason is that one loses out on cabin space and the flexibility of a premium hatch in choosing a compact sedan. The premium hatches are also loaded with features, more than the CSs. The only thing that a compact sedan has got going for it is that it looks like a ‘proper car’. I even feel that premium hatches may offer better handling because of slightly smaller wheelbases, and marginally lower weights.
Old 18th April 2013, 14:43   #84
BHPian

Re: A premium hatchback or a compact sedan: Which one to buy?

I'd say a hatchback definitely. I'm not a fan of buying something just for the sake of doing it, say for example I want to buy a sedan so I look for the cheapest possible one which has skimped on everything just to give you a namesake sedan? Not happening.
I'd just assume that I don't have the budget for one and wait until I get the budget. Buy a proper car; if I'm not willing to set aside a proper budget then I'd just go for a good hatchback where I can be comfortable driving it with all the features I want.

Of course, if one likes an entry sedan then it's a different story, but most people won't. They'd rather buy a C2 segment sedan since most of the C segment cars have skimped (imo a litte too much) on space (<4m) and quality.
dozer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 15:49   #85
BHPian

Well, I had a similar question on my mind six months back and the thing I asked myself was how many times does the rear seat of my car get occupied and how many times have i felt that the boot of my previous car (i10 auto at that time) is inadequate. After that I ended up buying a Swift ZDi and I couldnt be happier.

A lot of people in India feel the need for a sedan for the so called status associated with it. Honestly I couldnt care less. For me a hatch provides me with a better driving experience and thats what mattered most. I guess once you list down your top 5 priorities or requirements from a car you will have your answer.
Old 18th April 2013, 16:31   #86
Senior - BHPian

A premium hatch.

3 years back I asked the same question to myself and spouse when we decided to replace our Indica DLS. We exchanged it for the Fiat Punto.

-can carry odd-shaped and over-sized things when u fold down the rear seats. Our Indica has saved us 000's of rupees when our house was under construction; it carried home paint, odd-shaped glass pieces, furniture..even white cement!
- easy to drive/park/reverse
- easy to wash and maintain
- economical and more viable
- easy to sell
- I am not commenting on the fun-to-drive-factor etc. simply because I am driving arguably the best driver-oriented car in India when you consider the price point...

So IMHO, throw the false pride (if any, of course!) out and go for a hatch of your choice. Else go for a SUV.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 18th April 2013 at 16:33.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 16:44   #87
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel that apart from the Image, one should also consider his needs + family needs. While a Sedan may give the person "having arrived" feeling, if his needs are such that he doesnt need to haul luggage for long distances or his parking is small, he can consider a Premium hatch. otherwise, a sedan any day.

In my case, if I have to choose, it would be a sedan. The same logic applies, I have a toddler in my family now and I need extra space to carry his pram and other luggage. These simply wont fit in a hatch (premium or otherwise). Just for the records, I drive a Tata Nano to work daily (irrespective of the fact that I can very well afford a Premium car in my salary). Again, this is need based - When I was single, I drove around the town in a ultra peppy Zen. Having settled in life, to me, a car now is a vehicle that takes me from Point A to Point B. I considered my family needs (Child education, buying a premium house etc. ) and hence, chose a basic car that is fuel efficient and is perfect for city driving. For weekend shopping, I use the Zen.

I also feel that in the coming days, it would be a fight between Premium hatch/Compact Sedan and Mini SUV provided all of them are priced in the same priceband.

Last edited by amtak : 18th April 2013 at 16:46.
Old 18th April 2013, 17:03   #88
BHPian

I am with the wiser lot of fellow bhpians, who thinks practicality over image.

In my case, my first car was Palio Sports, when could have bought Esteem or Indigo for that kind of money. However being new driver then, the size of car, maneuverability and equipment level inched me towards the hatchback.

I still prefer driving Palio over the other ride in Cruze, when it comes to negotiating the traffic on chaotic law college and Karve road (those who know Pune - enough said )
Old 18th April 2013, 17:52   #89

My question is about a compact sedan versus a premium hatchback. They cost almost the same, and benefit from the excise duty rebate for small cars.
Old 18th April 2013, 23:03   #90
MHG
BHPian

My advise would be to start looking at a car as a car instead of looking at it as a hatchback/sedan/notchback/fastback/coupe/suv/crossover/mini-suv or any other gimmickry marketing terms used to describe it.

You will either look for the best car under a budget which has maximum items from your requirements list, or the cheapest car fulfilling a list of requirements.

Either ways requirements can be in following categories (there may be more) and would usually have personal preferences and priorities.
  1. Safety features - you may look at a higher end model of a cheaper car instead of a lower end model of a more expensive car since the later may not be as safe as the former. Handling can be a part of safety - does the vehicle behave well under typical usage scenarios ? Can the vehicle handle the roads you frequent and/or intend to use ?
  2. Entertainment - does it come with a nice sounding music system ? If it doesn't can it be added for a reasonable price afterwards ? Some of the questions you may ask.
  3. Comfort - this is solely dependent on what kind of usage is involved. I know a guy who is 6' 4" tall and loves his Maruti Alto. But that is because he slides the driver's seat all the way back and does the same with the front passenger seat and his car is never occupied by more than 2 people. Anyway, comfort also includes ergonomics - bad ergonomics can bring physiotherapists good business. Decide if the car is comfortable for your use case.
  4. Auxiliary features - do you need reverse parking sensors/camera ? What about rear wipe/defogger ? GPS Navigation ?
  5. Appearance - as a personal transport, does it please you ? Can you live with it ?
  6. Carrying capacity - can the car carry as many people as you want it to ? What about luggage ?
  7. Maintainability and total cost of ownership - this includes aftersales, service costs and intervals, spares cost, fuel costs and durability of the vehicle as a whole. Is the vehicle affordable and VFM in the long term ?
Once you answer these questions, you would no longer need to worry about buying a compact sedan or a premium hatchback. You will simply buy the car that suits your needs best!

Last edited by MHG : 18th April 2013 at 23:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks