Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:23   #1

Help me decide.

hello all,
Am a newbie here, live in mumbai and have been driving a 1.6 optra for the last 4 years. i love my optra except that lately my monthly service bills are turning out to be more than the EMI on my car. I am looking at a new car in the price range of 10 lakhs (diesel only). I dont want to spend more than that till the market scene gets better. Please advice which car i should go for? i have been reading about peter and his amazing boxes so I want to get a car that can be petefied. please help. mileage is not really a concern, but I LOVE POWER. Please advice.
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:46   #2
BHPian

It has to be the Verna Diesel..
Old 3rd January 2009, 01:54   #3
Team-BHP Support

you can have a look at the Optra Magnum diesel. The car has tremendous pulling power and have heard that it is quite fuel efficient.
Old 3rd January 2009, 02:09   #4
BHPian

you already have an optra. do you want to upgrade to another optra? if you dont mind doing that then magnum diesel is the one. i hope you should get the 2.0 LS under 10lacs after discount and offers.
else you have the verna and fiesta. verna being more productive in terms of power delivery.
Old 3rd January 2009, 03:38   #5
BANNED

dont bother wasting time and get the top end verna. its fast and looks better than the optra surely. i was only a fan of optra because of the sunroof thats it. now a few other cars offer it so chevy brand is out for me. in india its better to stick with the japanese car makers only since they are pocket friendly. if you want to burn money then skoda is the way to go
Old 3rd January 2009, 04:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

there is only one option that fits your needs perrfectly...top of the line Linea ! You get a great engine and all new launch unlike the other options you hv like optra and the octy that are outdated. Not to forget the top of the line linea has loads of gizmos like Bluetooth etc which fit well within your budget.
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

And its a brand new car.. esp on Indian roads. Since you already have a car, I guess you can wait for the Linea to launch. Rest assured I think the a.s.s wont disappoint Indian junta this time around.
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Linea is the one you should go for. Peter should have a tuning box for it soon. Only worry is the famed Fiat A.S.S. or lack of it.
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:47   #9

I am quite tempted to go for the linea myself. but a 20bhp difference compared to the verna makes it a very difficult choice :( also i heard the linea engine is the same 70bhp engine found in the swift diesel ? so if its already tweaked to give 20bhp more, maybe pete's box wont help much?
Old 3rd January 2009, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumacher View Post
I am quite tempted to go for the linea myself. but a 20bhp difference compared to the verna makes it a very difficult choice :( also i heard the linea engine is the same 70bhp engine found in the swift diesel ? so if its already tweaked to give 20bhp more, maybe pete's box wont help much?
Linea engine makes 90 bhp. Swift diesel makes 75bhp.
Linea has swift engine but a different turbocharger.
If you want power all the way, there are only two diesels that are good in the price range you have specified, Verna diesel and Optra magnum diesel.
You have ownership experience of Optra and you know the car well. If the dealer is good and you are not experiencing bad A.S & S., then go for Optra Magnum diesel. Optra is a better car than Verna IMO.
Old 3rd January 2009, 13:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Magnum is fast alright. But, handling is not good!!

The engine in the Linea is same as the Swift's with a VGT.
Or, get one used Octy TDi and get her remapped
Old 3rd January 2009, 14:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Or, get one used Octy TDi and get her remapped
And what about the service bills on that Shuv??
Old 3rd January 2009, 14:43   #13
BHPian

surely the linea will be a much better car than the verna in every aspect.
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:16   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest the magnum over Verna,as it as quick but is from a higher segment plus it has a very comfortable ride and better high speed stablity.

Linea is a very good option but is not so quick,otherwise its the best car for this price.
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:32   #15
Senior - BHPian

if you want outright power but dont mind spending money on service, the optra magnum should be your choice. about handling, the optra has predictable handling till 140 kmph, mumbaikars rarely go above that!
if you prefer to save money, go for the verna. its handling is more soapy than optra, has a fair amount of body roll as well, but it has got the power YOU NEED. moreover, for the same reasons mentioned above, you wont get a chance to complain about handling.
if you are so finnicky about handling, get yourself a magnum/verna and shod it with ultra low profile tyres. later dont complain about cracked alloys though. Pete's will even offer you stiffer springs.

Most Viewed