Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2009, 22:30   #1

HELP! Looking to purchase HM Avigo!

I am interested to purchase a new Hindustan Motors (ambassador) AVIGO model.

Willing to get it transported at my cost to Mumbai.

Shall be grateful for any replies or leads on this as any information shall help.

Kindly revert.

Anxiously waiting for a reply!
Old 18th January 2009, 23:38   #2
BHPian

Great !!! Why transfer, You can buy in your place it self.
Old 18th January 2009, 23:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Avigo

I know the Mitsubishi dealer on Cadell Road, Mahim (Fort Point?) handled HM orders.

Aditya and me had a test drive of the Avigo, a couple of years ago.

It's not an easy job, as they usually won't have a car for test drive.
I don't remember the name of the person who I communicated with (one Mr. Ajay R., I think), but he was very helpful and eager to hear our critque on ways the car could be improved.

The paint work was good, as was the seat trim (beige faux leather / rexine, I think) but the interior fit and finish just didn't match up to any standards. Most of the knobs, switches, buttons, window rollers, door levers, etc. all felt as though they were added in as an after thought.

The factory alloys look very nice too.

The car came with the 1.8l Isuzu engine, which is a good engine but the gear shift in the Avigo felt too vague. The same engine and gearbox in the Conty feels perfectly matched.
Though it's nice and torquey, for this day and age the engine needs a little more power.

The delivery period can range from 1 month to 6 months - but this information is a few years old.

Only if HM improved interior quality, fit and finish the car would be a decent buy for those who still long for the Amby. I know I would love to have one. I should have the brochure lying around somewhere.

Check out the HM website for dealer information: HM Ambassador

Last edited by aah78 : 18th January 2009 at 23:57.
Old 19th January 2009, 00:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

We tested the car a long time ago. National Garage and Fort-Point have given up HM dealership. Metro Motors sells only Mitsubishi cars. I don't even know if HM has a dealership in Mumbai anymore.
Buy an Ambassador only if you really want one. Otherwise, avoid.
Old 19th January 2009, 00:11   #5

HELP! Looking to purchase HM Avigo!

Actually, I tried all the major dealers in Mumbai but none are able to get back to me with the AVIGO model as they say it has been discontinued for this region.

The reason given by them seems vague. I dont know why HM should discontinue their latest design on the amby range.

However, I still want this car regardless of what people might say! ..before I hear that it has been discontinued all over India
Old 19th January 2009, 11:10   #6
BANNED

Look at the DGS&D suppliers. They may be able to help. My organisation recently (4 months back) got one under the DGSD scheme from Chennai. (no- not avigo - but a lesser variant with 1200CC engined diesel thingie I do not want to call an engine under the hood). The A/c usually remains switched off; driver says car will not move with a/c on.

The doors have to be held closed since they may open while moving. 7 visits to the service center have not fixed it.

The NVH inside the car is better than the 16 year old amby they replaced. (better as in "bigger volume").

Deliveries took about 3 months. And the older amby is for sale. It is located in north Malabar (Kerala). Asking price is 40K to be quoted through a competitive tender; and it will roll if you push it!!!

The new car is used by the big boss; he is happy since it is a new car.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2009, 03:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
My organisation recently (4 months back) got one under the DGSD scheme from Chennai. (no- not avigo - but a lesser variant with 1200CC engined diesel thingie I do not want to call an engine under the hood). The A/c usually remains switched off; driver says car will not move with a/c on.
It must be the 35.5 bhp 1.5L engine!
Old 20th January 2009, 04:01   #8
BHPian

I have also enquired about the car at some dealerships,but apparently they have stopped prodution for this car due to very little demand , your best bet would be to buy one or 3 Avigos secondhand for the price of a new one , also sourcing headlights/taillights etc would be a real big pain for this car as i learned the hardway.
Old 20th January 2009, 09:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossycool View Post
Actually, I tried all the major dealers in Mumbai but none are able to get back to me with the AVIGO model as they say it has been discontinued for this region.

The reason given by them seems vague. I dont know why HM should discontinue their latest design on the amby range.

However, I still want this car regardless of what people might say! ..before I hear that it has been discontinued all over India
I seem to be the only one having an Avigo 1.8 Isuzu petrol in the forum, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
I have also enquired about the car at some dealerships,but apparently they have stopped prodution for this car due to very little demand , your best bet would be to buy one or 3 Avigos secondhand for the price of a new one , also sourcing headlights/taillights etc would be a real big pain for this car as i learned the hardway.
Sourcing the headlights is not a problem at all in Kolkata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Look at the DGS&D suppliers. They may be able to help. My organisation recently (4 months back) got one under the DGSD scheme from Chennai. (no- not avigo - but a lesser variant with 1200CC engined diesel thingie I do not want to call an engine under the hood). The A/c usually remains switched off; driver says car will not move with a/c on.

The doors have to be held closed since they may open while moving. 7 visits to the service center have not fixed it.

The NVH inside the car is better than the 16 year old amby they replaced. (better as in "bigger volume").

Deliveries took about 3 months. And the older amby is for sale. It is located in north Malabar (Kerala). Asking price is 40K to be quoted through a competitive tender; and it will roll if you push it!!!

The new car is used by the big boss; he is happy since it is a new car.

The Petrol 1.8 Isuzu Avigo is a different machine all together, it's powerfull, silent and very touquee.

Last edited by v12 : 20th January 2009 at 11:52.
Old 22nd January 2009, 22:22   #10

Avigo user input

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
I seem to be the only one having an Avigo 1.8 Isuzu petrol in the forum, .

Sourcing the headlights is not a problem at all in Kolkata.

The Petrol 1.8 Isuzu Avigo is a different machine all together, it's powerfull, silent and very touquee.
Finally, a proud avigo owner. Thanks for the reply. Could you confirm if the avigo is available in Kolkata?

Awaiting your reply..
Old 23rd January 2009, 22:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossycool View Post
Finally, a proud avigo owner. Thanks for the reply. Could you confirm if the avigo is available in Kolkata?

Awaiting your reply..
Avigo's are not available anymore to the best of my knowledge, now there is only one model available and that is the Grand, with 3 engine options, Petrol 1.8 Isuzu, 1.5 Diesel and 2.0 Diesel.

Even though I live in Kolkata, in the last 8 odd months that I have owned my Avigo, I have come across only 5-6 Avigo's other than mine and the only Petrol one I saw other than mine was some Ambassy vicheal, all others were diesel's.
Old 25th January 2009, 19:52   #12

Can anyone get me an AVIGO??

Well, I would like to know if this model is available ANYWHERE IN INDIA??

IS ANYONE OUT HERE WHO CAN HELP??

Feel free to contact if anything.

Till then i'll just have to be jealous of the owners of all the avigo's that drive by me..!

Later,
Pranav S.
Old 25th January 2009, 20:30   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you are in Mumbai, why dont you initiate queries in places within proximity such as Pune, Nashik, Nagpur, Aurangabad etc ? You could even drive it back to Mumbai if one is found in these cities!

Mumbai being a big city, I'm sure someone has an Avigo. You could even put up an ad in the local newspapers' classifieds.
Old 26th January 2009, 00:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

See if you can get in touch with Rajiv Motors, Connaught Place, Delhi. They sell Ambassadors to all the Sarkari departments in Delhi. I have seen quite a few Avigos out here, but mostly 2005-6-7 models, I suppose.

I suspect Rajiv Motors sells the largest number of Ambassadors in the country, atleast the white ones for the babus and the netas.
Old 12th April 2010, 10:19   #15
BHPian

i'm too looking for an amby and i'm unable to find a used avigo !
where have all the dealers died down ! !
i checked the site now they don't even have the telephone numbers of dealers .
if anyone comes across an amby or an avigo anywhere in india for sale.
please

Most Viewed