Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 16:05   #1
BHPian

ford fiesta SXI after Ford IKON nxt

Hi all ,

This is my first thread on Team BHP. I have used the IKON for last almost 6 years and still love it very much. I had used Esteem before and found ikon much better and fun to drive. After testing SX4 , ANHC and the Fiesta SXI , i once again chose to buy another ford as i loved the way it feels while driving it and yes the package was good with lovely interiors. However after the purchase i could not stop myslef from comparing it to my ikon all the time and i think one must consider following points beofre taking a similar decision. I am not talking about the pros of fiesta over Ikon as they are obvious.

IKON NXT petrol
1) Great, fun to drive engine 2) Superb suspension and 178 mm ground clearance gives you piece of mind , it absorbs all the potholes3) Clutch position is such that you do not need a rest peddle and still feel comfortable, while using clutch lifting the foot is minimum 4) Lever for reclining is good and can be used with one hand 5) Steering wheel has a soft feel material. 6) Cost if just above 5.0 Lacs

FIESTA 1.6 PETROL
1) Engine is good but not as JOSH as ikon 2) suspension good but car shakes over potholes at slow speeds ,less ground clearance 3) clucth is without a rest peddle for expensive car like this one and one needs to lift the foot too much , painfull in traffic jams.4) reclining lever is poor and typical where one needs to use both hands for adjustments.5) Steering wheel is good to hold but material is hard 6) cost if 8.0 Lacs

I would like to have view from peole who have used both cars

regards

Amol
Old 19th January 2009, 17:24   #2
Team-BHP Support

Amol, check out Suman's long term review on the Fiesta 1.6. He has also graduated from an Ikon 1.6 to the logical upgrade which is the Fiesta 1.6. his views would sure come handy, and you could seek his inputs as well.

Fiesta_1.6_Review
Old 19th January 2009, 17:27   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hi Amol,

Congrats on the new car. Did you trade your Ikon for the Fiesta ? If yes, how much did you get for the old one ?
Old 19th January 2009, 17:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

NXT as in Ikon 1.6? Or did they offer the NXT in the 1.3 avatar as well?

My Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 3 years this week, has gone past 70k kms already. The Duratec engine is way way better than the ROCAM, there is simply no comparison (The Ikon felt faster whereas this one is actually quicker & the Duratec snarl is simply addictive).

The only place I'd say the Ikon scores marginally may be the suspension & the handling on curves (as in the Point & Shoot bit) but after living with this lady for 3 years now, I can pretty much make her yield to tight steering inputs

Let me know if you have specifics.

Last edited by suman : 19th January 2009 at 17:33.
Old 21st January 2009, 19:29   #5
BHPian

i still have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Hi Amol,

Congrats on the new car. Did you trade your Ikon for the Fiesta ? If yes, how much did you get for the old one ?
no i have not sold it as i still like it , i know it's fullish to keep it but i do not feel like giving it away , i was offered 2.0 lacs for it as i have used it very less , 28k in 5 years and 9 months

regards

amol
Old 21st January 2009, 19:33   #6
BHPian

Hi Suman ,

Thanks for your opinion , hope i get over my ikon fever and start getting friendly with fiesta

regards

amol
Old 21st January 2009, 19:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Amol, check out Suman's long term review on the Fiesta 1.6. He has also graduated from an Ikon 1.6 to the logical upgrade which is the Fiesta 1.6. his views would sure come handy, and you could seek his inputs as well.

Fiesta_1.6_Review
Hi ,

Thanks for your message , yes i will surely visit his review and try to learn from it

regards
amol
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:49   #8
BHPian

after 350 kms on highway

Hi Suman ,

I had taken the Fiesta on mumbai-pune express way and also on rural areas for few kms. yes you are right the engine is far better and quicker , i enjoyed it very much. But at slow speeds i still find the Ikon's suspension to be better and even the steering was easier. The handling and stability is classy , i mean on curves and corners it's brilliant and given you great confidence.

regards

Amol

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
NXT as in Ikon 1.6? Or did they offer the NXT in the 1.3 avatar as well?

My Fiesta 1.6 SXI completes 3 years this week, has gone past 70k kms already. The Duratec engine is way way better than the ROCAM, there is simply no comparison (The Ikon felt faster whereas this one is actually quicker & the Duratec snarl is simply addictive).

The only place I'd say the Ikon scores marginally may be the suspension & the handling on curves (as in the Point & Shoot bit) but after living with this lady for 3 years now, I can pretty much make her yield to tight steering inputs

Let me know if you have specifics.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:36   #9
rippergeo

@amol- you had me worried with your initial posts saying that the ikon was faster. glad things got straightened out. the fiesta 1.6 is a great drivers car

Old 23rd February 2009, 22:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@amol- you had me worried with your initial posts saying that the ikon was faster. glad things got straightened out. the fiesta 1.6 is a great drivers car
Well we could put that to test..couldnt we..??

@amolathalye nice choice. Thats also what i plan to do.. Only if i can get hold of the 1.6s.

We should have an Ikon G2G then. This will be fun. or a FORD MEET .
Old 24th February 2009, 10:19   #11
BHPian

Recently I test-drove Fiesta. I felt Fiesta's interior space is similar to that of Ikon. Atleast I didn't see a leap in terms of space. Secondly, back seat on Fiesta seem to be a bit too flat like a bench. I prefer Ikon's back seat.

How good is Fiesta's back seat for long drives?

Most Viewed