Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 20:11   #1
BHPian

Old Honda City or Tata Indigo

Hello friends,
This is very urgent.
Saw an OHC 1.3, 2001 model, run genuinly 50k kms, 2nd owner, (2nd owner dint use the car much, lying idle in his building), for 2.6Lacs.
My othr option is 2nd hand Indigo, Diesel or Petrol(will fit CNG).
Have to choose betn the 2.
Have to give my reply to the City owner in a day, as theres another cust for it.
Now, the condition of the City is, the suspension bushes have to b replaced, slight touch-up and polish, slight noise frm the dashboard. Otherwise the engine n gearbox is butter smooth. Excellent pickup.
Pls guide me friends, i have very less time.
Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah
Old 20th January 2009, 20:40   #2
abk
BHPian

Dr Abhay,

Although I am not an expert in this area, however, given the urgency you are in and that replies have not started to pour in yet here are my 2 paise:
- OHC is an excellent piece of engineering. As you vouch for the engine condition and maintenance, this could be your automatic choice.
- Get a fair estimate of the repairs and then compare the costs of both the cars
- Indigo fitted with CNG kit will reduce your running cost substantially, but if you want to keep the car for a long time, the engine may not last you as long
- Do mention your average daily run, your average quarterly budget for servicing and maintenance (Indigo wins over OHC but OHC will probably mean lesser trips to service centre)
- Do state your requirements of ground clearance if it is something that can worry you occasionally depending on how good are the roads where you want to drive (Indigo wins over OHC)
- OHC (even 1.3) is higher on fun to drive quotient whereas Indigo is, as Tata claimed for Indica, more car per car.
- OHC definitely has more snob value
Old 20th January 2009, 20:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

1) OHC, in powertrain department is any given day miles ahead of Indigo.
2) Cost of parts could be more in case of OHC.
3) Indigo also has diesel option, so think accordingly.
4) CNG will affect performance. The engine life also reduces,but not as much as in case of Carb engines as the ECU takes more care.
5) TD both the cars more.

6) IMO, go for OHC. You will really enjoy the driving.
Old 20th January 2009, 21:16   #4
BANNED

I will assume you have sat in and driven both the cars. The seating positions in the OHC and the Indigo are poles apart. I would suggest - choose the car where you feel more comfortable sitting and driving.
Old 20th January 2009, 21:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Could you mention km done on the Indigo?? But to be frank i would advice you to stay away from a Used Indigo. Go for the OHC anyday.

P.S. : Do give a look at used Baleno too!!
Old 20th January 2009, 21:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

+1 to hrag and abk.
However, kindly note that engine life decrease is just plain nonsense. My mom's m800 carb did 90+k on open loop kit before we sold it off. The only problem it had was a recurring alternator issue and a dried up fuel pump (because we never bothered to tank up and petrol was drained in multiple services). But engine life - bah.
Old 20th January 2009, 21:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

OHC anyday man!!!

Have extensively driven my cousin's Indigo and its just not worth it. Infact his car recently broke down, company says one of the valves came lose and damaged the piston. Cost of repair 25,000 bucks!!! And to think that this car has covered only 30,000 kms and was serviced only 3 days before this happened.

On the other hand my OHC at 68,000kms feels as good as new.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 20th January 2009 at 21:57.
Old 20th January 2009, 22:15   #8
BHPian

Although my view might be biased as I am an Indigo owner, but would like to say that I would prefer a model that is still in production. Indigo is still in production with some cosmetic changes, but the OHC and Baleno are no longer in production - so procurement of spares and resale might be a problem. But both the OHC and Baleno are drivers car and are themselves a good pick solely for their engines, which are a gem.

As for Indigo, go only if it is a single owner low mileage diesel (no petrol if you intend to get a CNG kit). Personally, I wouldn't prefer a second hand diesel with more than 30,000 kms. Also, would be very apprehensive about clocked odos, don't know if digital odos can be clocked, but it is best to get the vehicle inspected by a good mechanic to affirm the correct mileage clocked by the vehicle.

If you wish, you can read my 48,000 kms review of the Indigo TDi
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-report.html
Old 21st January 2009, 00:22   #9
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
However, kindly note that engine life decrease is just plain nonsense.
Thanks for the education phamilyman. All this while I was under the impression, as told by a car mechanic (not sure if it was during my OHC servicing in the honda service centre?) that CNG kit affects engine's life
Old 21st January 2009, 00:35   #10
BHPian

Thanks abk, aaggoswami, hrag, karanraheja, phamilyman, Shan2nu, & jessie007, for giving your valuable time in replying to my post.

Well, i have only driven that OHC and not the Indigo. Indigo was just a thought for the same amt of money. I somehow feel that OHC wud be a better VFM, as i have used Petrol as well as diesel Indicas. Also i personally am of the opinion that TATA cars have more maintenance.

I do have a Santro CNG (Bedini Kit) which is a closed loop system, and needed a Sedan for long drives. The pros of the CNG kit are that the running cost is ultra cheaper Rs.1.5/km and the availability of CNG in Mumbai. The cons r that the performance of the car is not that good as expected, many minor problems crop up like the engine sometimes has missing problem, or the rpm problem, etc.
Hence i am not too much inclined towards CNG. Also i want to retain my Santro for short drives.
The OHC will not be for everyday use, only for pure performance.

Yes, the OHC odometer is genuinely 50k kms. No tampering done. My mechanic, hes my friend too, knows the car history, its his customer's car,and is maintained by him only. And i trust him.

Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah.
Old 21st January 2009, 01:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

what exactly are your priorities and what are you looking for in these cars?
this could help us guide you better
Old 21st January 2009, 01:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
what exactly are your priorities and what are you looking for in these cars?
this could help us guide you better
Hello greenhorn, my priorities r a good sedan in my budget of 2.5-3 lacs, decent mileage of 11-12kmpl, good peppy engine and low maintenance. I assume OHC has low maintenance.
Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah.
Old 21st January 2009, 07:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

the indigo is by no stretch of imagination peppy
checked out esteems/accents?
Old 21st January 2009, 08:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the indigo is by no stretch of imagination peppy
checked out esteems/accents?
I have travelled in the Accent. The seats were not comfortable and the interiors felt cramped. Also the mileage is less in the Accent as compared to the OHC.
Old 21st January 2009, 09:22   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

OHC! OHC! OHC! OHC!

Spares won't be a problem at all. Don't worry about it.

At 2.6 lakhs, try to hunt for a used 1.5. I may come with 75K on the odo but will be a much peppier car to drive compared to the 1.3OHC. Also 1.5 has power mirrors, etc which is beneficial.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 21st January 2009 at 09:23.

Most Viewed