Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 01:01   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
how many kms can these CRDis last if driven in normal ways??
I've heard that they start having issues after covering 50K odd. Is it true?
After 50K Kms, the real problems start. Especially when the "Petes" box is added to the car. It will start going faster and faster, and will eventually even overtake some poor RS, or the odd BMW. Real problems I say.

In the last 50K Kms the car has been causing some real damage. It was a bit tamer the first 50K Kms I used it.

Ps. There are also rumors that after the said Kms demons come out and eat the engine. I forgot who said that on the forum earlier.
Old 28th January 2009, 15:58   #17
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadukuttan View Post

Ps. There are also rumors that after the said Kms demons come out and eat the engine. I forgot who said that on the forum earlier.
I think, that was Dirtydan, or was it prabhuav? I remember reading the same. Must be true.
Damn Diesel engine eating Demons! They always know when a car crosses 50k.

Old 28th January 2009, 17:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
After 50K Kms, the real problems start. Especially when the "Petes" box is added to the car. It will start going faster and faster, and will eventually even overtake some poor RS, or the odd BMW. Real problems I say.
Anyone owning a peted elantra should face such problems .
Old 28th January 2009, 17:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have seen Elantra's with 1.5 Lac KM and they are as good as new. Never heard of any engine failure in Elantra's

Some service center guys says owners don't get their timing belt changed at 80K which causes engine failure etc. Some say they fill in PREMIUM fuels and over rev car alot which is another cause.

Though i have seen Accent CRDi's with 1+ lac Km on them and they r perfectly maintained and no engine overhaul.
Old 28th January 2009, 18:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Some service center guys says owners don't get their timing belt changed at 80K which causes engine failure etc. Some say they fill in PREMIUM fuels and over rev car alot which is another cause.

Though i have seen Accent CRDi's with 1+ lac Km on them and they r perfectly maintained and no engine overhaul.
Precisely my point too. The first gen engines need to maintained meticulously. Most owners and Hyundai service guys saw crdi for the first time in the accent and have driven/maintained it like a petrol. This has caused failures. In cars that have been cared for - nothing - nada

BTW the Elantra is a totally different story.
Old 28th January 2009, 18:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In the last 50K Kms the car has been causing some real damage. It was a bit tamer the first 50K Kms I used it.

thats a CLASSIC !!

Detroit Diesel ROCKS !
Old 28th January 2009, 20:17   #22
BHPian

thanks for the clarification guys. I've always liked elantra(even the shape) and infact was discussing this propostion with a friend of mine to get an elantra CRDi and add petes + green cotton filter. Would be an awesome daily drive car.
Old 28th January 2009, 20:28   #23
BHPian

you mentioned one car is looking good scratchless and has run 62000KMs. but the tyres are brand new and have been changed.

see this is fishy. you can tell a lot by the cars age with the help of the tyres. if someone messed up with the tyres or they changed it is because the tyres were too worn out. this happens when the running is a lil more than what they say.

life is not perfect and so are cars. lil scratch here and there is ok. but something is fishy about the tyres . be careful bro.

my friend jus bought 2nd hand elantra petrol. at 4.5ish Lacs. having had experience with it myself. i can say that its one smart looking car. the stock audio system is great. climate control and traction control is standard which is great. so all in all a great deal. also space is good too.

go for it but be careful.

Last edited by Caramelo : 28th January 2009 at 20:35.
Old 29th January 2009, 10:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Please be wary of the Hyundai CRDis. There are enough instances right here in the forum to worry about. Get a petrol elantra instead.
as people stated it was there in accent crdi. still not sure of accent crdi as my cousin had done 1.1L KM on his accent crdi and still running good.

as far as elantra is concerned, i had driven 2 more elantra crdi at hyundai motor plaza. first had done, 1.8L KM and 2nd had done 1.7L KM. Both of them was rocking dude. Tonns of torque and it is confirmed by hyundai service guys too that they themselves had seen Elantra CRDi doing over 2 lakh km and not even a single engine overhaul till date for those cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
how many kms can these CRDis last if driven in normal ways??
I've heard that they start having issues after covering 50K odd. Is it true?
not sure of accent crdi, but i'm dead sure of elantra crdi, people are not facing issues till 2 lakh km atleast (depends on the driving style too).

Quote:
After 50K Kms, the real problems start. Especially when the "Petes" box is added to the car.
my heart was there in my mouth that oh man what tadu is saying .. as my elantra is close to 50k km and i'm also looking to add petes box too. haha don't scare me with such statements, my brother is more possessive for his elantra crdi than me lol he will kill me if anything happens to his elantra because of my suggesions.

But...
Quote:
It will start going faster and faster, and will eventually even overtake some poor RS, or the odd BMW. Real problems I say.

when i read this.. i was like good one. Phew!!

best thing like in elantra crdi that it is very much underrated car on road. People on highways in their civics, cities, accords, octies, I had seen many swift ddis too trying to chase me on highways. But I really enjoys to hammer the gas on that time, and many times i just wave off my hands out of my window and say "BYE BYE man" and they scratch their heads, because they never expected it to be that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

thats a CLASSIC !!

Detroit Diesel ROCKS !
OH yes it really rocks.
PS: Getz or Verna has a Detroit Diesel engne?

Last edited by Gangsta : 29th January 2009 at 10:59.
Old 29th January 2009, 14:02   #25
BHPian

I second what most people here are saying about the Elantra. CRDi.All these guys own one so they know what they are talking about.Even while I was looking for one recently,I spoke with several Hyundai service guys and they all said the same thing.That the engine is to die for.Built to last,extremely quick and gives no trouble if maintained and serviced regularly.Its a stonker of a sleeper for sure People just don't expect this kind of performance from a Hyundai I guess.I have been used to high-revving my petrols so far but after driving this car,I was blown away ! Superlative performance and that too in the lap of luxury!
Old 29th January 2009, 20:18   #26

I was quiet busy and could not check the service history of either cars(thanks to month end sales pressure). The dealer calls me to get an update from me and I said it would take me atleast another 3 days to finalise as I am also contemplating on other cars...he hangs up and calls me after 1 hr and says the owner is willing to let it go for 4.6lacs.

I am yet to make my move..any word of precaution..
Old 31st January 2009, 01:34   #27
BHPian

check the history of service. and also check the new tyres on one of the elantra's. ask him whats the reason for the change. its sounds fishy to me. they change tyres. as they get worn out because more than mentioned running. i hope they havent messed with the car.check the facts and be careful bro.

about the price its right. because my friend got a similar deal. the car overall is great.
Old 31st January 2009, 10:33   #28
BHPian

infact take it to a hyundai service station. Pay some and they will check almost everything for you.
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:06   #29
BHPian

I am looking at a 06 Elantra done 55000 km. What is the price if the car is in very good condition?

And what are the possible expenses that I might incur in the next 2-3 years?

EDIT: Tyres and battery have been changed at 50k it seems. Is that a problem?
Old 2nd February 2009, 09:53   #30
BHPian

@proxima

Tyres and battery need to be changed at around that mark,nothing wrong with that.Price for the indicated model depends on how well its been maintained,if only at HASS then 4.5 lacs wold be a good bet.
Check if the timing belt,A/c belt,alternator belt,power steering belt,clutch assembly have been changed as they need to be changed at around the 60k kms mark.Total cost for all of these would be around 25k I think.And get the suspension checked by a HASS,you could pay them a small amount and they will check the whole car for you.Suspension would cost around 40k I guess.
All the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks