Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2010, 11:32   #46
BHPian

Hey guys what would be the price that can be paid for an August 2006 model elantra crdi decontent that has done 60000kms and has been company owned and maintainted. the dealer expects 4.85 but says its negotiable. tires need to be changed.
Old 12th April 2010, 15:05   #47
BHPian

4.85 looks too high for it. Considering that the car would have cost around 9.5L on road and has clocked 60k kms + needs a change of tyres (costing around 15-20k) a fair price would be at least 60k lower. Subtract around 5-7k more if the insurance is due in the next 3 months.

60k kms is also a major service interval for cars so check service history (should definitely be available since it is company mantained - if not then walk away from it) to see if the 60k service has been done. If not then dock another 10k or so.
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:48   #48
BHPian

I got a quote of 4 lacs for a 2004 Elantra Crdi with 85K done. I'm considering it because the car is simply loaded! Airbags, ABS, Traction Control....whew! Also, it looks awesome and expensive, if slightly weird because of the front grille.

This thread has convinced me that 85K isn't an issue, but what about other expenses? I intend to do less than 15K a year on it. It will be used only on highways (40km per day) and for occasional family trips of about 300km.

What kind of expenses can I expect, assuming that the car will be driven sedately most of the time by my dad, who rarely goes above 80 kph? What will a routine service cost? Can it be serviced outside of Hyundai A.S.S?
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

@vivekgk, the car does come fully loaded and is something to be expected of a car of that value. So, what I am trying to say is dont get swayed away, but inspect very carefully

4 L for a 2004 thats done close to 90, is nothing to boast of. I got a 2005 model for 4.20 in Bangalore that had done 49000. but I didnt take it as I was very specific that I wanted a 2006/7 model
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
4 L for a 2004 thats done close to 90, is nothing to boast of. I got a 2005 model for 4.20 in Bangalore that had done 49000. but I didnt take it as I was very specific that I wanted a 2006/7 model
I'm trying to get the service records for the car from the A.S.S. As for the price, used cars are more expensive here in Kerala. Elantras are rare and have only lately started to appear in used car markets. Owners don't sell because of poor resale and prefer to keep it as long as they can.

A Hyundai Service Engr told me that Elantra Crdi has to have the timing belt replaced at 80K, which would cost 20K with labour. The next major expense would be at 120K kms. So, if the timing belt has been replaced on this car, I suppose it means no major expenses for at least 30K. Correct me if I'm wrong. How would you know if the timing belt has been changed? Also, isn't this car supposed to be very efficient on the highway? Can any owners give FE numbers? The OD Test drive says 18+ on highway.
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Elantra sure is a missile gone bersek. I drove one 2 years back and I still remember the rush. Pity this car didn't do well.

Just one question to experts--- how does it stack up against the other two missiles, 1. Optra Magnum and 2. its own stablemate Verna? How does it fare in acceleration and top speed dept. vis-a-vis these two cars?
Old 4th May 2010, 06:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I got a quote of 4 lacs for a 2004 Elantra Crdi with 85K done. I'm considering it because the car is simply loaded! Airbags, ABS, Traction Control....whew! Also, it looks awesome and expensive, if slightly weird because of the front grille.

This thread has convinced me that 85K isn't an issue, but what about other expenses? I intend to do less than 15K a year on it. It will be used only on highways (40km per day) and for occasional family trips of about 300km.

What kind of expenses can I expect, assuming that the car will be driven sedately most of the time by my dad, who rarely goes above 80 kph? What will a routine service cost? Can it be serviced outside of Hyundai A.S.S?
Is this a white Elantra ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Just one question to experts--- how does it stack up against the other two missiles, 1. Optra Magnum and 2. its own stablemate Verna? How does it fare in acceleration and top speed dept. vis-a-vis these two cars?
Top speed - Elantra > Magnum > Verna
Acceleration till 100kph - Magnum > Verna > Elantra
Beyond 140 kph Elantra > Magnum > Verna

Handling - Elantra , Elantra and only Elantra
Old 4th May 2010, 08:07   #53
BHPian

If not already done, plan for suspension replacement as well around 100,000 Km mark, but it all depends on the use. I heard it costs quite a packet but I'm not sure about the correct numbers. I've driven Elantras which has crossed 120,000 kms without major suspension issues.

Another major irritant would be the noisy clutch which needs replacement every 30-40K Kms or so. It would cost ~18K Rs.

Any Hyundai dealer should be able to give you detailed service history of the vehicle. Don't just go by it blindly since some smart people cover up major accident jobs by doing it outside of A.S.S. Go for a thorough inspection with at least 2 independent workshops.

My suggestion would be to look for a low mileage 2005-2006 version. Also watch out for the "De-Content" version which lacks many bells and whistles like leather, climate control...

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 4th May 2010 at 08:10.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
If not already done, plan for suspension replacement as well around 100,000 Km mark, but it all depends on the use. I heard it costs quite a packet but I'm not sure about the correct numbers. I've driven Elantras which has crossed 120,000 kms without major suspension issues.

Another major irritant would be the noisy clutch which needs replacement every 30-40K Kms or so. It would cost ~18K Rs.
Suspension replacement - 35k approx
Clutch plate (only ) - 8k
Old 4th May 2010, 09:16   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Clutch plate (only ) - 8k
OOPS!!! I was way off... In fact I was comparing it to my Tucson which shares lots of parts with Elantra. Possible the Clutch in Tucson is a heavy duty one.
Old 4th May 2010, 09:31   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

since the elantra never really did well in the market despite its obvious value, i think this asking price is too high for the car.

in bangalore for example I doubt if such a car would fetch more than 3.75 or so, no matter how good the condition.

further the elantra has given way to newer cars now so the price should certainly be more reasonable than the one that has been quoted to you.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:37   #57
BHPian

Wow. Guess all those features don't come cheap after all. Will keep looking for a lower-mileage version. Thanks for everyone for their valuable inputs.

@kpzen: No, It's a black one, cochin regn.
Old 6th May 2010, 23:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

thanx kpzen. Looks like i will have to start looking for a good one too. sounds very tempting. find it hard to believe Elantra can trounce Magnum.
Old 7th May 2010, 00:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

I missed one Elantra 2006 model with 60K on ODO for Rupees 25K. Car was in very good condition single handed and quoting 4.75Lakh. I quoted 4.5Lakh last. But anyway I did not want to cross 4.5 lakh. Tyres would have lasted another 10K Kms.

Elantras are very sturdy vehichle and it is in good number in South Korea with the name of Avante. I have seen many vehicle here with more than 1.8 lakh KM on ODO and still going strong. It is one of the biggest hit in South Korea market.
Old 9th August 2010, 21:05   #60
BHPian

If anyone is interested in picking one up, please PM me. I'll be putting mine up for sale next month as I'm leaving the country.

P.S. - Sorry if I hijacked the thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks