Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2009, 16:40   #1
BHPian

Advice needed on buying Ikon

Hey guys.
One of my friend wants to buy a sedan.He was earlier having a zen and he sold it for a change and decided to buy a sedan.
He has seen a Ikon 2000 model well maintained but the color is little faded.
The owner of the car gave him an offer of 1.4L but some how he convinced the owner for 1.2L. The car has run about 56000 Km.
Is it worth buying the Ikon of 2000 model at 1.2L..??
His budget is around 1.5L.

He is also very much interested in buying an OHC. Will he able to get an OHC for that budget and also if anyone having an OHC or know some one who is interested in selling it can help us.

NOTE:Guys advice needed urgently about the Ikon. And if any one have a better option about other cars in that range can surely help.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 8th February 2009, 17:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which variant of the Ikon is he looking at? The 1.6 is a stonker while the 1.8 is avoidable IMHO.
For 1.5L, your friend will get a Type 1 OHC easily.
Old 8th February 2009, 18:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

avoid. someone i know bought a 2002 ikon 1.6, and its been a money pit

buy an OHC, or an esteem even !
Old 8th February 2009, 20:19   #4
BHPian

But he has been looking for an OHC since a month and he is unable to find any good conditioned car.Is it because of the price range
Old 8th February 2009, 20:24   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If it is a 1.6 and the 56K on the odo are genuine, ask him to go for it. Just have the car given a once over by a competent mechanic. In that price, you only have the Palio 1.6 as the enthusiasts choice.
Old 8th February 2009, 20:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
avoid. someone i know bought a 2002 ikon 1.6, and its been a money pit

buy an OHC, or an esteem even !
Hey! R u making fun of me?....You should actually.

This is straight from an Ikon 1.6 ROCAM owner-DO NOT BUY IT.

Yes the 1.6 is a stonker of a performer and has a strong build but thats where the good things stop, the cost of maintenence is unbelivable. I dont have word to describe how fast your pockets will empty filling petrol and buying its spare parts.

FORD-FIX OR REPAIR DAILY and so true for the car.

I had bought a '02 model for 1.65L and ended up spending 1.25L on maintenence alone excluding fuel costs, and the only mods i was able to do is a header back exhaust and a K n N which were for INR13000.

Up the budget and go for an OHC Type II Gen 1, you'll definately be happier.
Old 8th February 2009, 21:31   #7
BHPian

Its a really good car, but its such a pity that maintainance is high and reliabilty is poor.
Old 8th February 2009, 21:51   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Its a really good car, but its such a pity that maintainance is high and reliabilty is poor.
The MS Baleno, OHC 1.5 and the V-Tec outdo the 1.6 ROCAM in mid-range and top-end but the best part about the Ikon was its handling, Both Baleno and OHC didnt have that flat-around the corners feel. Acceleration off the block was very good too.
Old 9th February 2009, 00:07   #9
BHPian

Dont buy.

Ford is known for its expensive spares.

You would regret it letter on.

Buy an OHC / Accent / Baleno instead, will fit in budget.
Old 9th February 2009, 00:47   #10
BANNED

Go in for a type 1 OHC
Old 9th February 2009, 00:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Ikon.

Hmmm Abhik we could write a book on it couldnt we..??

Theres no difference in owning a merc or an ikon. Its the same.

The best part is when we get RICH we wont feel the pinch that much of owning a mercedes. It'LL be... Been There Done That. LOL!!

But then again.. Nothing comes close to it. Its a fun car to drive. Even in STOCK form it gives STAGE1 Modded cars a run for their money.
Old 9th February 2009, 04:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post

I had bought a '02 model for 1.65L and ended up spending 1.25L on maintenence alone excluding fuel costs, and the only mods i was able to do is a header back exhaust and a K n N which were for INR13000.

Up the budget and go for an OHC Type II Gen 1, you'll definately be happier.
Can you elaborate more on what problem exactly you faced and how many kms on your car.
Old 9th February 2009, 07:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

thats why he still doesnt sell it or get another car.He's a ford fanboi. too much in love with the car. He was thinking of getting the new ikon, but the redesign turned out to be way too ugly. He's thinking about picking up a 3 year old flair another friend of mine is selling , hoping it will be low maintenence !
Old 9th February 2009, 18:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
The Ikon.

Hmmm Abhik we could write a book on it couldnt we..??

Theres no difference in owning a merc or an ikon. Its the same.

The best part is when we get RICH we wont feel the pinch that much of owning a mercedes. It'LL be... Been There Done That. LOL!!

But then again.. Nothing comes close to it. Its a fun car to drive. Even in STOCK form it gives STAGE1 Modded cars a run for their money.
LOL! Book? a thesis would be more apt and i bet the advantages and good things will end on page 1 with lots of space left.

You are right its good in its stock form too, with handling, steering response being the major factor even with stock tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Can you elaborate more on what problem exactly you faced and how many kms on your car.
Its just not one problem that i can elaborate upon but ahost of them and as Dan mentioned, ill need a lot of space on elaboration, but just to give you a fair idea the had done a total of 120000kms till i had it, i bought it second hand and covered more than 20000kms in a little over a year and almost spent as much as i bought it for in that period as none of its parts were reliable and long lasting. To quote an example : I had changed its cluth plates 8000kms before selling it in mid Jan'09 and it was showing signs of wear to an extent that a month more and i would have had to replace it. And my foot is never on the clutch except for when i need to change gears plus i dont drive in peak hours due to my shift timings.
Rest is covered in various post and i will shortly be starting athread on the complete experience of owning it once i get another car. So watch out for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
thats why he still doesnt sell it or get another car.He's a ford fanboi. too much in love with the car. He was thinking of getting the new ikon, but the redesign turned out to be way too ugly. He's thinking about picking up a 3 year old flair another friend of mine is selling , hoping it will be low maintenence !
"hoping it will be low maintenence"- you're kidding right?
If you ain't then you better tell your friends his hope will just remain as a hope and reality will hit him hard on his face.

Last edited by abhik : 9th February 2009 at 18:50.
Old 9th February 2009, 22:54   #15
BHPian

Well guys thanks for your reply's and comments.
My friend has bought that Ikon as his brother was very much interested in buying the car and also my friend too.
He said that he is happy with its handling and performance and lets hope it doesn't get a bit heavier on his pockets as far as the maintainance is concerned..
Once again thanks guys for all your help and support..

Most Viewed