Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 08:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

1. Ford Fiesta. (when is the replacement due?) I will wait a whole year for the European Fiesta.)
I loved the elegant and straight forward interiors. A.S.S. is handled by a competant dealer. Also the frond dash is designed well and is handy. The dashbox doesn't touch my knee all the time.

2. Chevrolet Aveo. I know its not doing well but the last time I drove it, the interiors appealed to me and the drive was good as well. Not the best for a driver though and the dash was a constant irritant on the passenger seat touching my knee. I could not open the dashbox. How effective will be the Hood insulation on the 1.6LT?

3. Fiat Linea. I loved the car totally but the design. I like sharper designs better. Doesnt make sense looking at other cars in the first instance. But how is the dash design implementation? Does the dashbox touch the knee all the time? that's a big irritant. How is the NVH?

Swift is not really to my liking though I have developed a taste of it seeing so many on the road everyday. i20 is well, expensive. So I maybe looking at Fiat Grande Punto.
1) Not sure when the replacement will be done. I think considering the recession, they will delay the car for India. The volumes are relatively less in India, so they might rethink a bit about replacing the current Fiesta. Do you mean glovebox as dashbox ?

2) From my experience, the standard 1.6/1.4 Aveo have the best sound insulation from the present generation of cars. The G3HC is not as good as G2HC. The only car with quiet interiors to the level of Aveo is Verna.

3) From the reviews I have read, Swift Dzire/Swift have less engine noise than Linea. But I dont know about other sound insulation ( like outside noise filtering in the cabin ).

4) Before buying any fiat car, I suggest you first have some feedback about the dealer. If the dealer is good, go for Fiat. Else avoid it.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
If the main deciding factor are NVH levels, interiors and comfort, then definately my vote would go in for the Aveo.

I have owned the 1.4 version for 6 months now and have clocked almost 10k on the odo, and till now there has'nt been any single problem regarding rattles or sub standard equipment. Plus the 3yrs Cashless Ownership maintenace package is a big boon.
Completely agreeing with deky's comment. If the deciding factors are NVH, interiors and comfort then Aveo is a good choice.
I have owned 1.4 version from 15 months and covered 16K on odo.
Moreover maintenance aspect is also good compare to other three in the category.
Old 16th February 2009, 09:50   #18
BHPian

@Devarshi
Couple of my friends bought the car after a lot of research.
They found the car very, very boring. (Its their personal perception for sure)

Drove the i20, for a NON-Hyundai person. I pleasantly found that car to be good.
Interiors, insulation levels inside the cabin and drivabilty within the city is pretty good.

It appears that an i20 suits your requirment.

Test drive the i20 and Linea 1.4 Petrol and see which suits you better.

Last edited by raajks : 16th February 2009 at 09:51.
Old 16th February 2009, 10:05   #19
BHPian

@devarshi, whatever car you buy, do some damping on the doors and the boot. That will reduce rattles and also noise levels considerably.
Old 17th February 2009, 02:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

I wouldnt want to go with Dynamat and other solutions. The car accessories mechanics are not good in Ahmedabad.

Also after NVH there are two other secondary criteria.

1. My sis will occassionally drive the car.
2. The car should have a small turning radius.

How is the NVH on 1.4 petrol on Linea?
Old 17th February 2009, 09:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

I guess you have a liking towards the Linea which everyone who sees it has, but dont go bythe looks. THe FIAT engine might not the be quietest of the lot and the Service centre at your area might not be the best. Though things are really improving at FIAT, not sure how you would find the experience. No point spending so much on the car and then repentng and complaining. Try to get some feedback from FIAT owners at your place about the service centre. DO some research and really undersand the positives and negatives of owning a FIAT. Weigh your priorities and take a decision.

Personally i feel the aveo has the best noise insulation in the category that you are looking. If you want to look at a hatch thats big enough, test drive a U-Va. Its very quite, rides well and tremendously smooth. The downside with the chevy's though are the notchy gear which spoils the experience slightly.

Last edited by gemithomas : 17th February 2009 at 09:10.
Old 17th February 2009, 12:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldnt want to go with Dynamat and other solutions. The car accessories mechanics are not good in Ahmedabad.

Also after NVH there are two other secondary criteria.

1. My sis will occassionally drive the car.
2. The car should have a small turning radius.

How is the NVH on 1.4 petrol on Linea?
Few days back, Bhpians Swami, ROMS and myself TDed the Linea 1.4 Emotion.

While at a signal, I misjudged the clutch release and the car stalled, I cranked the engine and it started. ROMS sitting besides me says "Start the car". I say "Its already switched on"

Considering we both come from Palio home, the NVH levels of Linea was far better and acceptable. The exhaust note was sporty too.

Its a perfect City car and me being driving a 1.6, didnt felt underpowered for City driving but yeah its not for any drag racer

Ofcourse you cant compare with Honda for refinement levels.

Regarding the interiors and looks/featuers of Linea are much said in Linea threads and it was true personally looking at it.

Please TD the Linea to see if it fits your criteria's.

Besides Aveo, you can also check Fiesta Petrol and Dzire Petrol since Honda is out from your list.

Cheers~

Last edited by rudrah : 17th February 2009 at 12:33.
Old 17th February 2009, 12:55   #23
BHPian

my pick -

1. Linea - great and just superlative ride quality. amazing interiors, fabulous exteriors, very efficient diesel motor. the petrol is quiet but not a sporty car, if this country went hung ho abotu the hyundai accent, then this car surely is not underpowered. if you come from the palio 1.6 line, u might find that this is not a point and shoot machine, more like a refined drive after a tired day. the gadgets on it are great for the price.

2. Fiesta - only and only and only for that engine. this really sticks to the road and that engine is just full of josh

3. Fiat Grande Punto - this car should be launched by april 09. the wait is not too long. the petrol and diesel units should be more peppy in this hatch. give it a look before u finalize.

4. i20 - if you do not want a hatch, forget it. else it is one of the best hatches around
Old 17th February 2009, 13:40   #24
Senior - BHPian

The questions is mostly about the boot. Boot shoots price up by 1-2 lacs. The maximum space we would need occassionally is to fit in 2 huge suitcases.

The car need not be a powerful car as I am not going to drive much. But should have adequate power for the highways. I have a lancer and I find it pretty adequate on highways.

looking at spares and maintainence I think Aveo or I20 may fit the bill better.
Old 19th February 2009, 03:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Aveo is out of choice. Low resale and the company's current status is scaring me.

fiesta is seems does pretty good though scoring slightly less than Honda city and sx4.

I have done some surfing on used car websites. Is that reliable?

fiesta also seems to be a grounds up independant model developed in Australia meaning it would stay for some time in production.
Old 21st February 2009, 08:55   #26
BHPian

I recommend giving the Linea Petrol model a test drive along with you parents to see if NHV is acceptable to them.
FIAT is really improving their serivce and with all the new launches in the near future, FIAT's future in India is looking good.

The Chevy Aveo is also a good car, especially with the warranty offered by the company.
For the Fiesta I would recommend you wait till the new one is launched (according to ACI it will be in 2010).
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:24   #27
BANNED

This NHC offer appears like a perfect buy. Please check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
In Ahmedabad Dealer is offering 7.4 Lacs on road price for GXI. ofcourse with few freebies.
Quote:
I have a special requirement here though. My mom has a problem with noise in the car as her ears are sensitive. Also the Vibration noise from the engine which enters the body at low rpms is an issue. So I need a car which has the lowest NVH and really comfortable and good looking interiors. NO compromises on this one.

Spoilers and Body kits are not needed. Neither are Bluetooth and stereo controls.
Old 3rd March 2009, 22:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

my budget is about 6.5. that would be a lac above. Dont want to stretch that much.
Old 4th March 2009, 01:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

@devarshi
check the fiesta. In my review, I mentioned the fiesta is amongst the easiest to drive and has very good visibility and your sis would love it!
A point to note, the ride is a bit hard at low speeds, but at the same time it is good at speed. Also, given your budget, it is currently the best VFM and you'll love driving her!
Old 4th March 2009, 03:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

true, that's exactly the thing on my mind right now. But confused since Aveo gave hood insulation in the 1.6LT. Also Fiat seems to be a superb VFM with space and size.

me not driving the vehicle mostly rules out fun to drive as a priority as rest of my family just needs a commuter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks