Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2009, 12:00   #1
BHPian

Used car 4 to 5 L

Dear All,

I want to buy a sedan, used and well maintained like 6 months from now.

I won a Sail 1.6, my first car and the sweetest. Nice highway cruiser, good top speeds, nice and robust feel at highway turns, corners - like it and enjoy every moment with it, except when in bangalore speed breakers. I almost come to complete stall with 3 members on-board for every speed bumps from malleshpalya to outer-ring road. I am planning on giving my sail to my parents in TN not much of speed breakers and its only for 2 people (and some nice briyani to get from them every weekend when they come to see us in Bangalore :d )

The expectation I have for my next car is to handle and do good speeds as my sail.

Used Cars (Only a TN registration as I travel to TN more often) I had in mind are

1. Octavia vRS / Laura
2. Corolla
3. Lancer / Cedia
4. Civic (not too greedy but if I get it I will be happy)

With vRS, after reading the article "Octy vRS Achilles Heels" got scared, but I like the 150+ bhp stuff.

Mileage I expect in city is min 9 and on highways min 12. Planning to keep it for next 6 years with max of 12000 kms per year. Should be a minimal maintenance car, cannot afford frequent visits to mechanics and long for parts to come. Expecting a better riding comfort, nice cruiser and good speeder than my Sail.

At the max 4 people on board with 70 kgs each on the average and mostly only me from home to office (12 kms).

Please advice.

~Koli.
Old 18th February 2009, 12:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the Corolla fits your choice perfectly. Its got a good service back up from Toyota, granted it does not look sporty, but I am sure you'll be alright with it. The guzzling should be in the range of what you put down, so no worries there. The suspension, I believe, is better than the Civic in terms of comfort.

The real confusion for you will be between the Civic and the Corolla. When a couple of auto shows compared the two recently, the Civic won because it was a driver's car - period. I think T-BHP's vote goes for the civic as well. Be prepared for the speed breaker's spoiling your ride, because the Civic does bottom out. However, I have not heard of Corolla's bottoming out. Can Corolla owners corroborate this?

I would recommend, you search hard, and get a good used Civic. If you can live with slowing down over speed breakers that is.

I vetoed the Octy and the Cedia for less than adequate service back up from Skoda and Mitsubishi. I may be wrong, but that is the general sense of Owners here.

My best.

Last edited by Red Liner : 18th February 2009 at 12:29.
Old 18th February 2009, 12:30   #3
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I think the Corolla fits your choice perfectly. Its got a good service back up from Toyota, granted it does not look sporty, but I am sure you'll be alright with it. The guzzling should be in the range of what you put down, so no worries there. The suspension, I believe, is better than the Civic in terms of comfort.

The real confusion for you will be between the Civic and the Corolla. When a couple of auto shows compared the two recently, the Civic won because it was a driver's car - period. I think T-BHP's vote goes for the civic as well. Be prepared for the speed breaker's spoiling your ride, because the Civic does bottom out. However, I have not heard of Corolla's bottoming out. Can Corolla owners corroborate this?

I would recommend, you search hard, and get a good used Civic. If you can live with slowing down over speed breakers that is.

My best.
Agree with RedLiner.

Your only hitch would be finding either of these in your price bracket in a decent condition. All the Best!
Old 18th February 2009, 12:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Corolla fits your bill very well. Although Civic is also good. It is a personal choice between the two. Both have excellent service backups and are very very reliable.
Old 18th February 2009, 13:03   #5
BHPian

Very nice and I really appreciate your immediate response. I am quite relieved as I see my topic posted soon (being a newbie and posts go for a scan before they appear). I have always been a silent observer in this forum and I should say I am impressed.

I always liked the vRS and the outright power and would love to own it. Given the fact that I own a RD350 which I use like once in 10 days for a drag just to feel the rush, and the time that I have spent on searching for parts and sources and the net use turning out to be not for daily use.

With more practicality and daily usage, I do not want to get into that mode, like keeping a white elephant.

Why is cedia not an option for me?
Old 18th February 2009, 13:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am giving you two more choice within your budget. You will get decent car in 4 - 5L Range (Used).

1. Safari 3.0 Dicor/2.2 VTT Dicor: Safari is excellent highway cruiser, with some fuel economy compared to petrol vehicles. Also it has more that 100 horses under its hood. Very comfortable and no need to worry about any speed breakers although.

Cons: Little more maintenance compared to petrol cars, but definitely less than Skoda.

2. Used SX4 (ZXi or Vxi): This can also fit into your budget. It has very good ground clearance and petrol consumption is also well within your limit. It also comes with more than 100 horses under its hood.

Cons: People compain about rear seat comfort when three people sits.
Old 18th February 2009, 14:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with Red Liner.

Finding a good vRS at your budget is going to be a problem as well and a highly run car will give you maintenance nightmares.

I too suggest the corolla due to the high clearance. Civic is a drivers car no doubt but finding one in your price bracket will be difficult.

As anujmishra says, safari is also a good option.

P.S. Why don't you do a search of the forum. There are numerous threads on this subject and price bracket. You will get a lot of ideas from there.
In fact mods can merge threads as well.
Old 18th February 2009, 14:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I am giving you two more choice within your budget. You will get decent car in 4 - 5L Range (Used).

1. Safari 3.0 Dicor/2.2 VTT Dicor: Safari is excellent highway cruiser, with some fuel economy compared to petrol vehicles. Also it has more that 100 horses under its hood. Very comfortable and no need to worry about any speed breakers although.
Are you sure you can get an used 2.2VTT for 5 lakhs ?

Yes, SX4 is also a good option, it has a low reasle value so you might get a nice 2008 model for 5 lakhs.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:27   #9
BHPian

corolla has excellent pickup but feels like a boat at high speeds. If you want good straightline performance then corolla would be a good option and toyota provides excellent A.S.S.
Cedia is again a very good car with excellent low and mid end torque. Also its an excellent handler and would enable you to take corners with extreme confidence. If you are ok with mitsubishi services then you can definately hunt for this car
Civic and laura might exceed your budget.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:34   #10
BHPian

I guess Honday City will be perfect choice in this budget. You will get 2006 model max in this budget. Corolla even if you get it will be having high miles on it and its hard to get well maintained one.
Old 18th February 2009, 15:47   #11
BHPian

used car market seems to have crashed.
just a year back sold a corolla(sister's) for about 7L. now it is available for 5 !!

corolla is the best bet. it is a nice car. maybe now you will be able to get a car with low miles.

accent crdi can be an option if you are travelling much. dunno if it comes in that price range.
Old 18th February 2009, 19:19   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After reading up on Ajmats experiences, I'd never recommend the Octavia vRS to someone who is looking at a daily driver. Go for the Corolla, she will serve you well.
Old 18th February 2009, 19:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Your best bet would be a Corrolla. Getting one these days at 4.5 - 5 Lacs or so ( 2006 Model - done 30 - 40k is easy ).

A very good driver's car it is and well loaded also. As Spacious as it can get.

An Optra is also a good choice but a bit dated and a bit of a fuel guzzler I hear.

Then there are the usual suspects at 5 lacs or so - NHC, SX4.
Old 18th February 2009, 19:57   #14
BHPian

I would go for a well used and well maintained Honda Accord. A highly personal choice though. Start with our classifieds.
Old 18th February 2009, 21:01   #15
BHPian

Well! Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your advices and it gives me a lot of confidence about corolla.

@lynx - Seriously I thought of it. Can't stretch more.
@madhukar - Expecting to go little further with the recession peaking out.
@sam - I liked the previous version of city, but the 2006 model some how didn't like it.

I tried corolla today, some how EPS doesn't give me driver feel when compared to the sail, its lighter. but as above said pick up is good. Atleast my head doesn't know the roof .

Thanks guys, I will start looking for one.

Most Viewed