Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 20:35   #1
BHPian

Advice on Buying Discontinued Fiat Petra

Hi Guys,

Need your help in deciding on a replacement for my Silver Santro.
Requirements- a large car I have never seen the insides of a gym
Solid on bad roads.
City driving will be 85% and out of town drives should not feel a drag.

Now as per the thread title, I am getting a Fiat Petra from the stocks lying with Fiat. Its a 16V, 100bhp, top of the line model. I amnot sure when Fiat stopped production. But I will be the 1st owner. I have driven the car for some time and find it very comptent and capable for my needs.And I totally love it.

Should I go for this or buy a new car. As I dont want a White Elephant.If a new car which one?

Thanks in advance
Old 5th March 2009, 09:58   #2
BHPian

What is the asking price? Its one hell of a competent all rounder (powerful, big, driving dynamics, handling, ride quality, build quality, etc.,), I would love to own one.... but be informed of poor resale value of Petra or for any Fiat in MH is peanuts, I see Petra's go for as low as 1.25L and there arent many takers. The 1.6 shares most of the parts bin with its sibling the Palio (obvious but for the boot), so parts supply shouldnt be an issue.

PS: does FIAT has more pieces?
Old 5th March 2009, 10:41   #3
BHPian

From a Petra owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Should I go for this or buy a new car. As I dont want a White Elephant.If a new car which one?
Confirm the quoted price....I have been enjoying my Petra 1.6 since 2004 (clocked ~ 50 K)...it is certainly a superb driver's car who never lets you down on power, speed, handling, safety, etc. AFA spares and service are concerned, there will not be any problem as it shares it's spares with Palio 1.6...but if you change your car(s) quite frequently then think twice before getting Petra, because it doesn't attract too many used car buyers.

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by deepgautam_qa : 5th March 2009 at 10:55.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:20   #4
BHPian

I have no issues with the resale price. I am looking a it for keeps, hence I want to ensure the ownership costs are not too high.

I am getting it around 4.3L And I believe this one was abt 5.5L when it was in production. What should be a good price.
@ Deepak, what is the running cost to expect.
Old 5th March 2009, 13:36   #5
BANNED

If FIAT is giving you a standard warranty with the car, I don't see why you should not take it. Especially at that price.
Old 5th March 2009, 14:40   #6
BHPian

What is the Year of MFG....Is it 2006?

4.3 is on the higher side for a 2006 model. Checked on Carwale for a Petra 2006 model resale appears as 2,56,000 for 2006 June Model. Considering it as new, add another 70 to 80 K as premium, then also it comes close to 3.3 lakhs (Expers can comment on this).

Also consider about - it has been there in the yard for almost 2.5 to 3 yrs or has been well used for TDs.

I am not saying anything against Petra, but think over it.

How much running does Odo show?

Why not take a look at other sedans or a big hatch?
Old 5th March 2009, 15:07   #7
BHPian

I had one. Absolutely brilliant - powerful, solid and looked decent too. A bit of a guzzler. Sold it for 85k :( 125,000 sounds so much better...
Old 5th March 2009, 15:23   #8
BHPian

Petra is not a bad car.But i think the price qouted by the dealer is high. Is it a petra that they used for test drives or is it an old stock in their godown. BTW what is the colour? Have you got any pics of the car?
Old 5th March 2009, 16:04   #9
BHPian

make sure it don't have any type of rust anywhere or you will be buying a white elephant.
Old 5th March 2009, 16:21   #10
BHPian

- Try to negotiate further on price
- Check the year of mfg
- Check whether the car was used for TD
- Dents/bends/repaints
- Underbody scars/scratches

Mileage from my Petra 1.6 (2004): 10 (city 70% AC) & 14.5 (90% AC)

Besides dipper switch assembly (mounted on steering rod) change (INR 3K) no major expense yet.

If the dealer doesn't agree to sell it for lesser than 4 L, then you can/should look for other options as well.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 5th March 2009, 16:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

why not a baleno/ohc/lancer etc for that price. a fiat that lay in a dealer's garage for this long is bound to be a lemon by now ....

Last edited by greenhorn : 5th March 2009 at 16:30.
Old 5th March 2009, 16:58   #12
BHPian

I completely agree with you greenhorn, and that's why I cant decide, just the fact that the car is a tank, and coming in at abt a lac and half less, blinds me from all other facts.

I will buy a 2nd hand petra or palio or even the Indica Vista, if not this particular Petra. Just need a push in either direction

Deepak - the prices are final and negotiated, its been the last of the vehicles they produced, and I have to believe FIAT as this is directly from them and the cars were in the factory. I wnt to decide and then see the car, if i see the car I will go right ahead without bothering on the seeing the small details, BTW when did the production of the Petra stop?
Old 5th March 2009, 17:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
a fiat that lay in a dealer's garage for this long is bound to be a lemon by now ....
Cars donot become lemons by virtue of just standing. And on reliability front FIATs are anyday much ahead of any TATA car and thats why the SWIFT and Indica Vista use FIAT MJD engines.

Hence request you to stop bad mouthing cars without actually having owned them.

@ neo: Petra is a absolutely faboulous car. The price quoted by the dealer may be slightly high. You need to check the tyres and rubber parts/belt and if you feel they show signs of crack get them replaced before taking delivery. If the car is for keeps and you are going to drive yourself, then this definitely the car to buy.
Old 5th March 2009, 17:47   #14
BANNED

Stay away!
For that price, you can buy a better 2nd hand japanese sedan.

It is high priced, old, unused/abused and probably a rusted lemon by now. You'll be plagued with bad service, unattractive name, non existant/highly expensive spares and horrible resale values.
If not looked after very carefully, it will be too much of a bother to maintain this car. My experience says so.

The solid, heavy feeling and a humongous, globe sized boot is some positives I see.

Will not at all recommend you this car.
Old 5th March 2009, 20:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

i say avoid. Petra, even though a good car has been out of the market for long. Spares would be more difficult compared to Palio.

Paying about 1L more you will get a brand new Ford Ikon petrol. Or spend around the same amount to get a sparingly used Sedan. Your money is better spent in either of the choices.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 5th March 2009 at 20:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks