Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 16:49   #1

It's between the Honda Accord and the Skoda Superb

So it pretty much says it all in the title!
Right now, I am selling my 2005 Honda Accord and need a replacement badly. I have pretty much narrowed it down to either the New Honda Accord or the new Skoda Superb.
I have tested both cars and they both are different in their own aspects. The Honda Accord is tried and tested and we know its doing well and looks stunning!! The only downside is the fuel consumption and the recent raised prices by Honda.
The Skoda Superb is beautiful and has some amazing interior features which other cars do not have. The downside is that the engine is small (1.8L) and the seats in the front are very narrow!
So guys, please help me as I am totally confused about what to do!! Thanks!
Old 13th March 2009, 17:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

With Skoda, it is down to service and maintenance. If you have a good dealer in Delhi, go for the Superb. It has a lot of toys for its price. If its business as usual for Skoda, then go for the Accord. The Honda badge comes with a lot of peace of mind when it comes to reliability.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 13th March 2009 at 17:37.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Car per car, Superb is definitely a better buy. But make sure you read about all the Skoda feedback and around here, and make sure you are up to to it before you commit.

If its me- i would probably go for the Accord.
Old 13th March 2009, 19:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

If it were me i'd go for the Superb.
Though the maintenance is a bit on the higher side but there are definitely 2 good dealers in Delhi / NCR

Sai Auto in Noida
Arshia Motors in F'Bad.

Its the more feature packed , very comfortable. The engine though only 1.8 is a turbo and is very fast , and amazing to drive.

Superb is anyday a superb buy.
Old 13th March 2009, 19:21   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Car per car, Superb is definitely a better buy.
Too early to make that statement, wouldn't you agree? Lets wait for some more reviews on the Superb before passing judgement. Not a single Skoda product after the Octavia has received a stellar reliability rating. The Honda's appeal will be its trouble-free nature and reliability throughout its life. Plus, it will be cheaper to own as well.

That said, I gotta admit that Skoda has priced the Superb brilliantly. And compared to the Accord, you get a far superior autobox, european "thuds" and perceived quality.
Old 13th March 2009, 19:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Skoda has one of the best built cars. The supberb will definitely feels stronger and more secure. The cars are basically VW platforms and chassis and suspension are better than Accord any given day.

But search around for the Skoda car's reliability and A.S & S. reviews on TBHP. After spending money one would like to have peace of mind as far as product reliablity goes. The Superb is 1.8T petrol. Their earlier attemt at Turbo petrols was in Vrs. Wasnt successful though. I know this is a better mill, but what about reliabilty ? This not a proven product like Honda Accord. Reliabilty and peace of mind are gaurenteed with Honda. Same cannot be said about Skoda.

Superb advantages : Good pricing, gearbox and mainly the European build quality.
Accord advantages : Reliability and peace of mind. Better A.S & S., proven product.
Old 13th March 2009, 19:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Superb's pricing was shocking. I guess Skoda has given a pack of what they were smoking to Honda ( for overpricing). As GTO mentioned quite early to mention about the Superb. But i would frankly go for the Accord.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Too early to make that statement, wouldn't you agree?
GTO, maybe i should refine my statement - what i meant is that features/price wise. And like i mentioned the rest of the conversation, i would still go for the Accord but for various reasons, abound in the forum
Old 14th March 2009, 23:47   #9
BHPian

If you didn't have an accord already, my take might less favourable to the superb.YBut you already have an accord, why should you get the same car different year model.True it looks better in its latest avatar, still an accord is an accord.
Superb is a more solidly built car and the latest model on the block.
Only concern should be about A.S.S and specifically parts related issues that can cost a lot after three-four years. Get an extended warranty and go for superb.
Old 16th March 2009, 00:53   #10
BHPian

New Accord is an obvious choice,

as Skoda is well known for their horrific *** & maintenance. while Accord is the best practical Luxury car in the world.

If you can remember, GTO has famously said: maintenance of even Fabia is more than Accord.

Well it itself speaks the answer you need.

Still if your monthly drive is more than 1500KM, you can think of Superb.

Why not to try the used (2008!) Mercedes C / BMW 3 (Petrol / Diesel)!!!!

A great advanced higher segment car in the mentioned price!
Old 16th March 2009, 10:05   #11
BHPian

The Superb is so much the better looking,the better built and SKODA has more premium brand value than a HONDA. Also has so many cool features.

Dont worry about the small 1.8L engine displacement. Its a turbo petrol and thats the way engines in future would be, Less displacement,more power,better FE. VW is developing all these and hopefully a 1.2L engine would be developing 100-120 bhp.

The only sticking point would be Skoda *** and the skoda owners would the best to help you out in this case
Old 16th March 2009, 10:55   #12
BHPian

i have been a passenger in both the cars, though both were the previous models, i think skoda is way better in terms of features and comfortableness. in terms of the drive i would feel skoda to be better. as immortalz said the only draw back is the service.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes it is too early to predict the Superb's long term experience. But I'd still give it a benefit of doubt and pick it over the Accord at this point.
Also having owned an Accord, a german car like the Superb would be a welcome change. Although germans have their drawbacks such as higher maintaince costs but I personally think it's worth what they give back in return.
Please don't be fooled by the 1800cc engine, it will put the Accords 2400cc to shame! Afterall it is turbo charged + DSG make it waaaay more fun to drive and economical than the Accord.

Suprising that you mention the front seats to be narrow! But don't take our word for it, go TD both cars and then decide.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:34   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The Superb is 1.8T petrol. Their earlier attemt at Turbo petrols was in Vrs. Wasnt successful though..
Actually the engine (block) did not give much trouble (I still own a 2004 vRS). Most of the problems with the vRS stemmed from other parts (timing belt, water pump, throttle body, etc...) and the fact that Skoda's A.S.S and management of dealers (why else would their A.S.S be equally bad across various cities) was poor.

Not that Honda has the best A.S.S (that title in my book goes to Hyundai- have you considered the, 175 ps/23.8 kgm, Hyundai Sonata Transform) but relative to Skoda they do seem to have a better A.S.S record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Suprising that you mention the front seats to be narrow! But don't take our word for it, go TD both cars and then decide.
If you self drive the Skoda is definitely the better car. In the rear seat though things can be very different.

Last edited by navin : 16th March 2009 at 11:35.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:35   #15
BHPian

If you have already owned an Accord, i would say you can go for other options in the segment.Don't want to confuse you but somehow I would ask you to try out the Camry too. Macho looks and good reliability.Great after sales and toyota reliability accompanied.
Stay away from Skoda as they are known to be atrociously expensive to maintain.
After spending 20 lacs on the car you would not like to spend more on its maintenance.
Believe me, even though Superb is loaded to the brim, these features will not excite you for more than 3-4 months.The after sales and maintenance cost shall be at the back of your mind all through your ownership.
My pick would be a different car altogether- Toyota Camry.

Most Viewed