Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:55   #76
BANNED

Agreed Amit.
It seems, to us Indians, subconciously Maruti's strength on - wide Network, Spares availability, low Spare cost because of economies of scale - all these made us to compromise on certain basic things like you mentioned especially for Maruti giving it special privileges whereas bash Honda, Ford, Fiat etc on smallest of things.

I personally always felt Maruti vehicles lack (of course comparatively not absolutely) finnesse, smoothness of ride, Manuouverability, handling, etc. This is further compounded as recently as last month when I TD'ed Dzire & SX4 twice, only to get disappointed both the times on these qualities. Looking back I still remember my first car purchase. I took gamble that time (2003) also with Ford Ikon against advices of friends & relatives & popular opinions. Now again I consider it a gamble when I booked Fiat Linea. Again to quote my father - "I did not listen to anyone when I bought Ford Ikon, I'm again not listening popular demands now while booking Linea.

But these are my preferences. I might not allow that exception to Maruti while some others would. Its all individual preferences
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:21   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Agreed Amit.
It seems, to us Indians, subconciously Maruti's strength on - wide Network, Spares availability, low Spare cost because of economies of scale - all these made us to compromise on certain basic things like you mentioned especially for Maruti giving it special privileges whereas bash Honda, Ford, Fiat etc on smallest of things.

I personally always felt Maruti vehicles lack (of course comparatively not absolutely) finnesse, smoothness of ride, Manuouverability, handling, etc. This is further compounded as recently as last month when I TD'ed Dzire & SX4 twice, only to get disappointed both the times on these qualities. Looking back I still remember my first car purchase. I took gamble that time (2003) also with Ford Ikon against advices of friends & relatives & popular opinions. Now again I consider it a gamble when I booked Fiat Linea. Again to quote my father - "I did not listen to anyone when I bought Ford Ikon, I'm again not listening popular demands now while booking Linea.

But these are my preferences. I might not allow that exception to Maruti while some others would. Its all individual preferences
Agree with you. Maruti gives you very practical modes of transportation. They know the indian customer so well that they never give you anything extra. To me all their cars except probably the wagonR is overpriced if you really look at the value. But one thing we need to understand is majority of us look at running costs and proximity to service centre while making our decision. Its mostly not the power delivery, smoothness, ride comfort, seating posture, plastic quality etc. etc. that matters. And that is exactly what maruti knows best.

All cars have their positives and negatives. There is always something that we are compromising when we make a choice.
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:30   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I don't understand why we have to be so linient with Maruti. If you expect a 8 lakh rupee Honda , Ford, Chevrolet to give you refinement and luxury then why should a 8 lakh rupee Maruti be exempt from it?

Why do we want a 8 lakh rupee Ford to pamper us and make us feel special but expect basic point A to B transportation in a 8 lakh rupee Maruti?
Amit,

Sorry to say but you have terribly gone overboard.

Honda gives luxury at 8L????Kidding coz as you say,you are car literate...

Honda sold the NHC without Alloys,Airbags,ABS etc etc at 8L. When SX4 launched with all these standard,they were forced to take note and provide them. So Maruti taught Honda(and all other car manufacturers) that you cant chanrge 8L for a car which had lesser safety features than a Swift. It was revolutionary.

The ANHC retails at 9.5L without climate control and alloys,standard on a Swift. Yet Honda provides luxury. Good Joke.

I dont know what makes you a Maruti baiter but you do stretch things a bit far.
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:45   #79
BHPian

Guys, I never said SX4 is the best car. I meant it is cheaper with he air bags the ABS, etc. Aveo doesn't sell, Verna is a bad handler(people say, i dont have exp.), Linea is still new, ANHC is very very costly.

Personally I feel SX4 has a great presence and it has the Maruti Brand. If these two are left out, I would buy Linea for its cost or Fiesta for its performance or even the Verna CRDi.

Yes I bought Getz Prime 1.3 just becasue of the performace and the space as my parents also stay with me. It has very good pickup and very very stable. I remembered doing 42 kms in 22 minutes ... from my home to International airport in Bangalore. Its max FE I got was some 13 kmpl when I drove it like a saint. In general I do not get more than 12 kmpl. Overall I have a great experience with it.
Then I went to the Hyundai showroom for TD of i20. I felt the space to be same but with more accesories and great looks. While driving the performance was quite ok. it stil 80 bhp, 3 less than Getz. I didnt feel underpowered. Infact my cousins i10 kappa feel that it has too much power.
Just because i20 uses i10's engine doesnt make it underpowered. Yes if compared to i10 it would be less peppy.
I am just thinking that Hyundai made a blunder by introducing the kappa in i10 first and then to i20. I am sure if the the kappa engine was first put in i20 and then in i10 the underpowered word wouldnt have come. Then people wpuld have said i10 Kappa is so much over powered.
BTW, I still cant see fiat Linea on the road(just saw 1 on bangalore road) ... isnt it selling, it had a great hype in the market, what happened?
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:56   #80
Senior - BHPian

@joy: i think Amit is mainly talking about refinement and NVH. Its clear that SX4 is one of the most feature rich cars in the segment. No one challenges that. Amit owns an SX4, btw.
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Amit,

Sorry to say but you have terribly gone overboard.

Honda gives luxury at 8L????Kidding coz as you say,you are car literate...

Honda sold the NHC without Alloys,Airbags,ABS etc etc at 8L. When SX4 launched with all these standard,they were forced to take note and provide them. So Maruti taught Honda(and all other car manufacturers) that you cant chanrge 8L for a car which had lesser safety features than a Swift. It was revolutionary.

The ANHC retails at 9.5L without climate control and alloys,standard on a Swift. Yet Honda provides luxury. Good Joke.

I dont know what makes you a Maruti baiter but you do stretch things a bit far.
I suggest you read my post again. Please also go through the ANHC threads for my comments on that car.

Quote:
@joy: i think Amit is mainly talking about refinement and NVH. Its clear that SX4 is one of the most feature rich cars in the segment. No one challenges that. Amit owns an SX4, btw.
Thank you skywalker!

Anyway, this thread seems to be going off topic. Let's stick to the topic at hand. No more off topic comments from my side anymore.
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
There are many people like Meer,Anant who own a SX4 and are really happy with it even after 10K.

Its not that if NVH for SX4 is fine according to someone,he/she suddenly becomes an illiterate in cars.Thats what was mentioned in the post.
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:43   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like you haven't driven your SX4 at 100-120kmph on concrete roads. Try it. Or you are welcome to drive mine.
Amit, I have driven it at 140, with no problems at all. I think there something really wrong with your car.

Please stop throwing general statements
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:58   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Amit, I have driven it at 140, with no problems at all. I think there something really wrong with your car.

Another happy SX4 owner

Maybe Amit,you should get your car inspected by Maruti..Might have got an Alto engine in it
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:12   #85
BHPian

What is happening on your TD front Drashkum, no replies from you.
Try going to some other dealers show room for a Linea TD.
Try writing down your takeaway's till now from this thread and your research and summarize it here. It will help you get some clarity. Also when you post your buying decision later, it would help a potential buyer browsing this thread later to get a idea on how you arrived at it.
In the meanwhile there is a flame throwing session starting on this thread on SX4 NVH and features. Keep it down guys, your inputs on these lines may not be helpful Drashkum or some one trying to figure out, if they are split between SX4 and Linea.
State your points, but keep away from taking swipes.
Old 24th March 2009, 08:46   #86
BHPian

Quote:
What is happening on your TD front Drashkum, no replies from you.
Try going to some other dealers show room for a Linea TD.
Try writing down your takeaway's till now from this thread and your research and summarize it here. It will help you get some clarity. Also when you post your buying decision later, it would help a potential buyer browsing this thread later to get a idea on how you arrived at it.
there have been some problems on me getting a comparitive testdrive 0f linea side on with sx4. i am not a expert so i am unable to asess pros and cons separately. so the only way to get is a comparitive asessment of each car side by side that can be done only on a testdrive of the two cars simultaneously at home . if sx4 is available linea is not there or viceversa. so i have scheduled a comparitive asessment at 2pm on thursday . hope to get a better solution!!.

just for information one more thing happened!! the guy from hyundai motor plaza called me yesterday saying a i20 berry red is available for taking on wednesday. seems there are no takers for the car as most of them are cancelling the car due to long waiting period and dealers not keeping the promise. just keeping my fingers crossed as i want to go for a sedan
Old 24th March 2009, 09:43   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drashkum View Post
there have been some problems on me getting a comparitive testdrive 0f linea side on with sx4. i am not a expert so i am unable to asess pros and cons separately. so the only way to get is a comparitive asessment of each car side by side that can be done only on a testdrive of the two cars simultaneously at home . if sx4 is available linea is not there or viceversa. so i have scheduled a comparitive asessment at 2pm on thursday . hope to get a better solution!!.

just for information one more thing happened!! the guy from hyundai motor plaza called me yesterday saying a i20 berry red is available for taking on wednesday. seems there are no takers for the car as most of them are cancelling the car due to long waiting period and dealers not keeping the promise. just keeping my fingers crossed as i want to go for a sedan
When I went to the same dealer for test drive of i20 & verna, the sales exe tried to sell me Accent instead!! Can you imagine? Asked me to come next day for TD as it was too late (7.30 pm) & that he would arrange the TD vehicles & call. He never called me for 4 days. So I called & went. He was busy, I waited for 15 minutes. then he assigned someone else for TD which I took on Verna (by that time i20 was out from my list). After TD, he never called to followup on a potential customer. Against this, I still receive calls from Sales exes from Honda ANHC, Maruti SX4 & Fiat Linea.

I've also worked in Sales Mgt & was thinking why the difference - may be they have sold enough cars & not hungry for more, may be there is no target pressure, may be the incentive motivator of sales exe is low.
Old 24th March 2009, 09:45   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like you haven't driven your SX4 at 100-120kmph on concrete roads. Try it. Or you are welcome to drive mine.
Amit, I have driven my SX4 at 150+ kmph on Pune-Mumbai expressway umpteen times and 170 kmph on Pune-Bangalore road. I never said NVH is not a problem, but you are going much much overboard. Dont know whether it is a problem with your car or you are a compulsive SX4 baiter
Old 24th March 2009, 12:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
Amit, I have driven my SX4 at 150+ kmph on Pune-Mumbai expressway umpteen times and 170 kmph on Pune-Bangalore road. I never said NVH is not a problem, but you are going much much overboard. Dont know whether it is a problem with your car or you are a compulsive SX4 baiter
I find the NVH is poor for a 8 lakh rupee car. I would say this even if it was a Fiat Sx4, Honda SX4 or Ford SX4. Unlike many on this forum, I do find and accept faults in my car.

I find the NVH poor. Maybe you don't. Like I said everything is relative. I have a 5 lakh rupee car that's got better NVH then a 8 lakh one. I don't find that acceptable. Maybe you do. If you call me a SX4 baiter, I can call you a SX4 fanboy. Let's refrain from this nonsense.

Quote:
Maybe Amit,you should get your car inspected by Maruti..Might have got an Alto engine in it
I am not talking about speed or cruising ability. I was talking about NVH. I have said it many times that post 2500rpm the car moves really well. Too bad you chose to ignore that and quote statments that enable you to make fun of others.

Quote:
The thread starter wanted to know owners opinions on their cars. I gave mine based on the expereince I have had with MY SX4. I am sure he is smart enough to understand that and take his own decisions. I am sure he isn't going to not buy the SX4 just because someone on this forum finds the NVH poor.

Quote:
Its not that if NVH for SX4 is fine according to someone,he/she suddenly becomes an illiterate in cars.Thats what was mentioned in the post.
Wow. What intepretation!

I find it pretty silly that SX4 owners are taking this personally. Just shows immaturity on your part. Grow up. All of you are welcome to take this to my running report thread on the SX4. Do take the effort to read through the whole thread before firing on all your cylinders on me.

Please spare this thread as this isnt' just about SX4. I am sure the thread starter has enough of information on the SX4. Maybe we should let Linea owners put down their thoughts too.

Last edited by amit : 24th March 2009 at 12:29.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:12   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Unlike many on this forum, I do find and accept faults in my car.
I find in your post the words silly,nonsense which is demeaning and enhances my view that you think too highly of yourself and also that every car must have faults....If anyone is happy with his car,it means he doesnt accept the non-existent faults ....And this line of thinkin certainly isnt nonsensical/silly/immature...

Certainly I have heard too much on this NVH thing..Better to move on and Linea owners should come fwd with their views...Should be much more fun
Closed Thread

Most Viewed