Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 20:19   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the Mondeo! I am glad you went with your heart. Do update us with an ownership review once you have complete 5 - 10K kms.

Also, you owe Ajmat a drink at TGIF
Old 1st October 2008, 02:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

Bump. Thinking of buying a used Mondeo myself. Still not decided between an OHC + B16 engine swap or a Mondeo. Will probably decide using a coin toss

With regards to the maintenance costs for a Mondeo, the few things that have cropped up everytime someone mentions about the car are the fuel pump, electric motors for seat adjustments, the stereo/head-unit. Assuming I don't get into an accident anytime soon, what else is included in the "etc" when everyone says "fuel pumps, electric motors, stereo, etc?" What else is advisable to be sourced from the UK, considering shipping costs? There seems to be no long-term review of the Mondeo on T-BHP which is quite strange in my opinion. One of you long-termers could write one soon perhaps?
Old 1st October 2008, 09:54   #33
BHPian

There are a couple of GHIA Mondeos that I see around in Kerala. Are they different spec from what novice bought?

@pranavt: Read R.P.M.'s review in this thread.

Last edited by MalluDude : 1st October 2008 at 09:55.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

Also, there are 2 versions of the Mondeo as far as I know, pre-2003 and a newer version which came in 2003. Which one between the two is the safer bet with regards to maintenance costs?
Old 1st October 2008, 14:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

All Mondeo's sold in India were Ghia spec & had a badge saying the same on the rear quarter window (I think!).
Old 1st October 2008, 14:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Doubt that, Ghia was the fully-loaded version if I remember correctly, with a few extra features. The 2003 and later model had chrome on the front grille, a little difference in the tail-lamps and manual seat adjustments I think. Would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this
Old 1st October 2008, 18:33   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Also, there are 2 versions of the Mondeo as far as I know, pre-2003 and a newer version which came in 2003. Which one between the two is the safer bet with regards to maintenance costs?
Read this article. No xenons on the later stripped Mondeos.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! A good set of Lenso's will make your ride look Killer. Filter is a must for that pure grunt. FFE if your getting free then bolt it on.
I think just go in for a brand new FP now itself to save you from any trouble later.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:32   #39
BHPian

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the late response, I was on a long vacation and just came back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
Congrats on the new ride. Do post pics and driving impressions once you get a chance.
Thanks R.P.M. Thanks for the help. Do let me know when you come to Bangy next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Congrats - how much did you settle on?
UK is your best source for parts. Worth picking up a spare fuel pump. You can go to a chain of store called Halfords for the routine service parts.
Thanks once again ajmat. I did search on the net but couldn't locate any Mondeo fourms. Guess I need a training on Googling.

I finalized the deal for 4.25lakhs. Couldn't bring down the price further as there was someone else also interested in buying the Mondy. I later met that person, he seemed little disappointed. I plan to open a Mondeo spare parts store soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
congrats novice you have bought something which i never had the courage to buy but always wanted to
have. Its a great drivers car no doubt and i'm sure ajmat would have picked up a good piece for you. Good luck pimping it.
Thanks ashish; Pimping will start soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, you owe Ajmat a drink at TGIF
Actually I owe him couple of drinks. @Ajmat: please do let me know when you have time for a drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Congrats!! A good set of Lenso's will make your ride look Killer. Filter is a must for that pure
grunt. FFE if your getting free then bolt it on. I think just go in for a brand new FP now itself to save you from any trouble later.
Thanks danlalan. I didn't take the air filter. FP seem to be good but will pick up one when I goto UK.

Took the delivery on 29th, straight drove to a tyre shop and replaced Good Year NCT5 tyres with Yokohama S-Drive 205-55-R16's. But Grip levels nowhere close to that of Michelin PP2s on my Corolla, I am litle disappointed.

Just came back from vacation yesterday and took the car to Metro Ford for service. I noticed couple of mechanical problems which were not
present when we(me and ajmat) TD'ed the cars. Problems I noticed so far,
1) Engine jerking during hard acceleration
2) Some noise from the Engine compartment, most likely a worn out bearing.
3) Shudder while cranking the Engine,
4) Coolent leakage
5) Noise from Rear LH suspension strut.

The car was serviced by the dealer in his Garage and all problems have come up in the post service TD except the Suspension noise which ajmat also pointed out in his TD report. A senior mechanic took a road test at the Metro Ford and he thinks faulty coil pack or spak plug may be the cause of the engine jerking. He promised to have a through look at all the issues and fix them. But as expected my Mondeo is going to be off the road for at least a week.

I did couple of runs on the Outer Ring Road during early mornings, I am extremely happy with the car's permormance so far. I really like the way it accelerates once it crosses 3500RPM/80kmph, it just flies. I am eagerly waiting to take it on the highways.
Old 7th October 2008, 13:26   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks once again ajmat. I did search on the net but couldn't locate any Mondeo fourms. Guess I need a training on Googling.
Check post no 29, I have given you the links

BTW - how much did you pay for the tyres and from where?
Old 7th October 2008, 13:35   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Check post no 29, I have given you the links

BTW - how much did you pay for the tyres and from where?
Oops! I meant I searched for forums earlier. Have browsed through the links that you mentioned, lot of useful information. Thanks once again.

Paid Rs.6200 and sourced from PitStop(near Garuda Mall), checked with Madhu's and he quoted 6500 per piece.
Old 7th October 2008, 13:43   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
Oops! I meant I searched for forums earlier. Have browsed through the links that you mentioned, lot of useful information. Thanks once again.

Paid Rs.6200 and sourced from PitStop(near Garuda Mall), checked with Madhu's and he quoted 6500 per piece.
Ouch, I bought the same from Madhus for that price
Old 18th March 2009, 10:53   #43
BHPian

Keen on buying a used Mondeo!!!!

Hello People!!!! A warm hello to all of you here.
I came to know about a 2003 Mondeo Petrol which is for sale.
The asking price is 4.15L. Its the first owner.

I do know the technical aspects of this car and have the reports at the time this "class of D-segment" was launched.
I would like your opinions and advice on buying this car. What possible things should i take a look at. Did the Mondeo have its share of gremlins(known problems) as such.

Please advice.

Cheers.
Akil.
Old 18th March 2009, 11:07   #44
BHPian

Maintenance cost is too high so be prepared for it.
Old 18th March 2009, 11:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben View Post
Hello People!!!! A warm hello to all of you here.
I came to know about a 2003 Mondeo Petrol which is for sale.
The asking price is 4.15L. Its the first owner.

I do know the technical aspects of this car and have the reports at the time this "class of D-segment" was launched.
I would like your opinions and advice on buying this car. What possible things should i take a look at. Did the Mondeo have its share of gremlins(known problems) as such.

Please advice.

Cheers.
Akil.
It sure was the best car in the segment, but was plagued by extremely high service and maintenance costs. It was the European version that was launched in India.

Factoring the maintenance costs also, I think you should bargain more on the price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks