Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 14:17   #1
BHPian

2008 Altis @ 60k discount

Guys,
I need advice on whether I should buy a 2008 model Altis being offered at cash discount of 60k ( normal discount - 40k, Corporate -10k,Insurance - 10k).

I intend keep this car for 5 years atleast and have a monthly running of about 1300km (which would hopefully increase as I intend taking this car on more out-station trips).

Queries :-
a) How much would the resale value be affected over a 5 year term ( 09 vs 08 model )
b) Any other watch out that i must look out for before buying a 08 model?
c) Views of the members on VL Vs GL variant. (i personally like the automatic , but am wary of the FE ? )

Last but not the least, Is there a better discount available from any dealer in Delhi NCR
thx
Sid
Old 19th March 2009, 16:29   #2
BHPian

First of all, ask about the current discounts available on 2009 model, than you compare the difference.

for used car price, go to the carwale.com & check the price of 4 & 5 years old corolla, so you might have a rough idea about the corolla altis price after 4-5 years.

I think you should bargain a bit more.

AT is always a better option for a city drive no doubt about that.

1300 Km/month or above IMO is the diesel tertiary.

So, if you are worrying about the FE, you can also think of VERNA AT / LAURA AT depends on your budget & forget the FE.

Verna is nice & tested inexpensive to keep car with fiery diesel engine.

Worth to go for.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you are keeping the car for 5 yrs, then forget the year and go ahead and look for your convenience with price.

Check the mileage of the car, and if its a test mule. What is the reason of it lying till now, this is close to end of March 09.AT Anyday would be a pleasure in driving, though it may not be as fuel efficient as Manual.

40K Discount I find is less and may be you should extract more on 2008 model.

I was offered 50k discount on Scorpio AT 2008 model.
Old 19th March 2009, 18:33   #4
BHPian

[quote=loving_alaap;1221055]First of all, ask about the current discounts available on 2009 model, than you compare the difference. - CURRENT DISCOUNT IS 20K (Corporate + insurance)

1300 Km/month or above IMO is the diesel tertiary - SAVING TO BUY A DIESEL SUV IN THE NEXT 2-3 YEAR TIMEFRAME. BESIDES, UNLESS THE DIESEL WAS FROM HONDA/TOYOTA - I PERSONALLY AM NOT TOO INCLINED.

So, if you are worrying about the FE, you can also think of VERNA AT / LAURA AT depends on your budget & forget the FE. - VERNA DOES NOT HAVE AIRBAGS (a must for me). SKODA WOULD ENSURE I PAY ALL THAT I SAVE FROM USING A DIESEL IN SPARES & SERVICING

[quote=tanwaramit;1221106]

Check the mileage of the car, and if its a test mule. What is the reason of it lying till now this is close to end of March 09- THERE ARE SEVERAL DEALERS IN DELHI NCR WHO ARE CARRYING STOCK OF 08 MODELS. NOT SURE WHY THOUGH ?

Guys , whats the mileage the Altis AT gives on city/Highway ?
request your inputs as I have been given an ultimatum by the dealer that the AT variant would not be available post this weekend
thanks
Sid
Old 19th March 2009, 19:36   #5
BHPian

Millage 9/12-13 in city / highway to be practical.

Also try Optra magnum diesel or a Diesel SUV.
Old 28th March 2009, 18:03   #6
BHPian

Need Urgent Advice

Folks,
Just got a call from the dealer that a 2008 altis which was booked in the begining of this month has not been delivered since the bank loan has been rejected. The Dealer is offering a 75000/- discount alongwith basic accessories like mats/mud flaps etc worth 2.5k. I have told him that i will pick up the car on being assured in written that :-
A) its not accidental
B) Even the temp registration has not been done in any other individuals name.

Further I am haggling with him on giving me rear parking sensors free too.

I NEED ADVICE on whether this seems like a good deal or should I stay away? (he is building pressure by telling me that will sell this one car before Monday and I need to confirm by giving a 1 Lac cheque tomm)
Old 29th March 2009, 16:45   #7
BHPian

please see the car, particularly in sunlight to see if the paint is re-touched.
Check the speedo reading.
look at the gear knob, and carpet just below the accelerator pedal. look at the pedals with a torch, see if they look used.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

The Altis is no doubt one of the best cars on Indian Roads today and is a Civic beater in many areas.

There are also good discounts available nowadays. My suggestion would be find out the discounts on 2009 models and then compare it with the 2008 model.

I am sure you would only benefit by 20k or so which IMHO is not worth it in taking a year old model.

There is at least a 5-7 % less amount offered in the resale market if you sell a year older model.
Old 7th April 2009, 03:25   #9
BHPian

Fuel efficiency of Altis Automatic in Delhi traffic 9.8 km/L (without AC) and 9.3 km/L (with AC).
The trip computer is also extremely accurate in calculating the FE.
Old 19th April 2009, 22:29   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota Kirloskar cuts production

Guys,

Just got to know that Toyota has cut its production of all cars (Corolla and Innova) and there is a waiting period of 1 month (at least in Pune). No discounts either.

Enquired when I had to visit the Pune dealer on Monday last to get my car's LHS front door done up after some SOB keyed it leaving an 18" long scratch that cut right down to the metal. She's as good as new now. These guys did a v good paint job on the door.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th April 2009 at 22:30.
Old 20th April 2009, 13:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think it's a good deal. I got 60k discount on a Dec'08 Altis in Jan'09
Old 20th April 2009, 14:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys,

Just got to know that Toyota has cut its production of all cars (Corolla and Innova) and there is a waiting period of 1 month (at least in Pune). No discounts either.

Enquired when I had to visit the Pune dealer on Monday last to get my car's LHS front door done up after some SOB keyed it leaving an 18" long scratch that cut right down to the metal. She's as good as new now. These guys did a v good paint job on the door.

Rgds,
Sorry to know about car. I think you have an Altis.

Do you have idea as to why Toyota has cut down production?
Noida dealer is also upset about poor allocation of cars from Toyota.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

sid - if the dealer has already hiked his offer to 75k plus some extras, I think its time for you to now start shopping around for deals on both 2008 and 2009 models

get the quotes from all dealers, zero in on dealers you are comfortable with from the transaction point of view

insist on doing a PDI for the car right away

decide on which car to pick up . go with a token advance amount and THEN NEGOTIATE FURTHER and close the deal
Old 20th April 2009, 20:35   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Sorry to know about car. I think you have an Altis.

Do you have idea as to why Toyota has cut down production?
Noida dealer is also upset about poor allocation of cars from Toyota.
Hi Akj53,

Yes, I have an Altis that I purchased in Oct last year. The car is just over 6 months old. Havent been able to use it much in the past 2 months due to frequent business travel. The car has been quite literally under the wraps. I too bought the Tyvek cover and it is the best you can get for your car.

According to a sales person at DSK Toyota in Pune, TKM cut production due to the recession and expects to continue with this for a while. He didnt specify how for long. Amazing to see that the DSKT didnt have a single GL or VL (top end trim, manual and automatic) on display instead choosing to display the J low trim variant.

Rgds,
Old 20th April 2009, 20:41   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwadia View Post
Folks,
Just got a call from the dealer that a 2008 altis which was booked in the begining of this month has not been delivered since the bank loan has been rejected. The Dealer is offering a 75000/- discount alongwith basic accessories like mats/mud flaps etc worth 2.5k. I have told him that i will pick up the car on being assured in written that :-
A) its not accidental
B) Even the temp registration has not been done in any other individuals name.

Further I am haggling with him on giving me rear parking sensors free too.

I NEED ADVICE on whether this seems like a good deal or should I stay away? (he is building pressure by telling me that will sell this one car before Monday and I need to confirm by giving a 1 Lac cheque tomm)
Though 65K is a tempting discount, please inspect the car very carefully before plonking your cheque on the table. Written assurances are of no use once you drive that car out of the showroom.

Rgds,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks