Team-BHP - Pondering over the Laura, Magnum makes sense, backup - Scorpio 2009 & other options!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Pondering over the Laura, Magnum makes sense, backup - Scorpio 2009 & other options! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/55404-pondering-over-laura-magnum-makes-sense-backup-scorpio-2009-other-options.html)

Parameters of decision:
I will enlighten you guys a little about the background.
The current parking space is taken up by the Innova (2008), Ikon (2005) and the Scorpio (2004).
The Scorpio is my daily drive and has done a little over 1,00,000 kms, and is probably good for some more action before anything major comes up, but my father insists that we replace it soon enoough.

The budget is about 10 - 12L, that is what I would be really comfortable paying for a brand new car.
Following were the options I had in mind till a few days back.

1. Tata Safari Dicor EX - off the list now reading TSK's Safari thread & other stories mentioned on the forum

2. The upgraded Mahindra Scorpio (now with the Mhawk engine)
Superb Mahindra reliability, decent build quality, low running costs, and now the new MHawk engine with the cosmetic touches have had me and my older brother seriously consider swapping the old Scorpio for the current spec one. The only downside is that I have lived with one for 5 years and over a 1,00,000 kms and a couple of years down the line I may just have been bored of the surroundings inside the cabin.
One very strong point going for the Scorpio is that it suits my daily routine really well, lugging around heavy engineering spares is simply a breeze, the Scorpio takes all that abude with absolutely zilch niggle.
I yet have to TD the new Scorpio, lets see what gives.

3. Hyundai Verna CRDI SX - off the list as well after the TD a couple of days ago, you can read more on the following link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...na-crdi-4.html

4. Skoda Laura (entered the list very recently - good discount on 08 vehicles)
Quite frankly, it is all about the presence and the recent discounts that have had me considering the Laura. My father likes the way it looks, and the engine is supposed to be pretty much up there too. The rock solid ride and handling are something everyone on the forum is aware of, so I will pass the harping.
Also, the Laura would make up for an upmarket sedan for those formal occasions for my folks to ferry about.

The Scare & my main reason for starting this thread:
Is the Laura Ambiente plagued with as many issues as the Octavia VRS? I am aware that parts are very expensive, but if I do take good care (not saying Ajmat & NC don't), and considering the Ambient trim is loaded with hardly any gadgets, is there a chance I could manage a five year no serious nonsense ownership?
Is the Laura due for a new look anytime soon, someone had mentioned this on of the threads I came across last night.
I tried searching the forum, but have not found any threads realating to part failures on the Laura.

5. Optra Magnum LS
What a package! Upon GTO's suggestion and NC's insistence I finally visited the next door GM showroom.
Almost everything about the vehicle is just spot on. Gotta love the detailing on the inside, for a 10L odd sedan the Magnum makes most sense to the head if GM lasts and the resale does not reduce to a very tiny fraction within 5 years.
The back seat probably gives the 20L sedans a run for their money, and the boot is nice and roomy too, this is a huge positive.
The engine is awesome, this is one absolute, you can feel the rush, being pushed back into the seat et all that.
The steering felt a little twitchy at speeds over 140 kmph, but that is something I can live with. The brakes weren't impressive either, the sales executive mentioned that this being a test drive vehicle has taken some serious thrashing and the brakes on a new vehicle would be better, atleast I hope so!
The sales guy though quite young, was one of the better ones I have come across, was quite well versed with the vehicle, technical terms. GM are atleast doing something right.

The negatives for the Magnum: Some I have mentioned above, the other major ones being brand image, anticipated poor resale valu and lack of road presence.

6. Toyota Corolla Altis (not quite in the running but yet there)
Toyota reliabiltiy, great A.S.S., build quality, revised looks and all this within my budget. Also, the fuel consumption difference (between the Laura & the Altis) would be madeup in the price difference and cheaper ownership costs.
The Altis is not tailor made to my requirement, and I would buy one probably because it is a good all round vehicle.

Eagerly await your thoughts, point of view, suggestions, criticism if any, especially on the Laura A.S.S & Magnum resale & A.S.S.

manson.

The Magnum LT is the best in this lot image or poor resale wouldnt concern you, it suits your requirement to a T

5 years - 1L kms hassle free ownership... Yes
Acceptable fuel efficiency figure.... 12/14 City/H'way
Comfort, spacious interiors. ... absolutely
Roomy boot space... yes

Looking at your list & the parameters provided (particularly the 5 years-1 lac kms), it would be the Magnum for me.

Magnum is good.

Tata Safari | All-new vehicle is due in last quarter of 2009, so if you can wait, it will be a good option.

see below thread.

Pondering over the Laura, Magnum makes sense, backup - Scorpio 2009 & other options!

My vote goes to the Magnum. Have a LS for almost a year now and I am very very sarisfied. No problems at all (touch wood). The 3 year maintenance plan is really helpful. Haven't spent a penny on it.

Yup but the news of GM bankruptcy does psyche me out. But I know that the american govt won't let it go down. And the India operations are doing well.

Still would say go for the Magnum.

Have you TDed the Linea? As for the lack of power, you always have a powerbox. lol

Tata Xenon?
With a cover for the open boot area?

Suggested simply because you might be bored with the Scorpio.
Not that this is any thing out of the ordinary but its different.

The Price of the Laura Ambiente right now just makes it a phenomenal deal.

im not sure about price in mumbai but in delhi it is available for 12.49 ex showroom.

The offer is valid on only 3 colors (silver, red, bluish silver)

Seriously consider this option if you are looking to decide soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson (Post 1222566)
Parameters of decision:
  • 5 years - 1L kms hassle free ownership
  • Acceptable fuel efficiency figure.
  • Comfort, spacious interiors.
  • Roomy boot space.
1. Tata Safari Dicor EX - off the list now reading TSK's Safari thread & other stories mentioned on the forum

2. The upgraded Mahindra Scorpio I may just have been bored of the surroundings inside the cabin.
One very strong point going for the Scorpio is that it suits my daily routine really well, lugging around heavy engineering spares is simply a breeze, the Scorpio takes all that abude with absolutely zilch niggle.

3. Hyundai Verna CRDI SX - off the list as well after the TD a couple of days ago, you can read more on the following link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...na-crdi-4.html

4. Skoda Laura (entered the list very recently - good discount on 08 vehicles)
Quite frankly, it is all about the presence and the recent discounts that have had me considering the Laura. My father likes the way it looks, and the engine is supposed to be pretty much up there too. The rock solid ride and handling are something everyone on the forum is aware of, so I will pass the harping.
Also, the Laura would make up for an upmarket sedan for those formal occasions for my folks to ferry about.

I tried searching the forum, but have not found any threads realating to part failures on the Laura.

5. Optra Magnum LS
What a package! Upon GTO's suggestion and NC's insistence I finally visited the next door GM showroom.
The negatives for the Magnum: Some I have mentioned above, the other major ones being brand image, anticipated poor resale valu and lack of road presence.

6. Toyota Corolla Altis (not quite in the running but yet there)
Toyota reliabiltiy, great A.S.S., build quality, revised looks and all this within my budget.

6 cars - 4 sedans (3 diesel and 1 petrol) and 2 diesel SUVs - very wide ranging choice there, but three requirements probably make the list smaller:
A. High degree of reliability.
B. Large boot space capable of carrying heavy engineering spares - attached to that fact, some amount of overloading and abuse.
C. Good resale value.

Your head says another Scorpio, your heart says Optra Magnum TCDi. Skoda probably ruled out because of http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rned-year.html. Have you considered the Xylo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirWind (Post 1222665)
The Magnum LT is the best in this lot image or poor resale wouldnt concern you, it suits your requirement to a T

Any indicative inputs on what it would fetch an odd four-five years later?
I have seen my uncle's Nexia's value reduce to a fraction in a couple of years, that experience has always kept me away from buying an out of the box vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by loving_alaap (Post 1222745)
Magnum is good.

Tata Safari | All-new vehicle is due in last quarter of 2009, so if you can wait, it will be a good option.

see below thread.

Nope, can't wait that long for a launch. I intend to get a new car sometime next month.
And, you have quoted this very thread by mistake :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1222776)
Tata Xenon?
With a cover for the open boot area?

Not happening, I'd rather put my money on the new Scorpio SLE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proxima (Post 1222767)
Have you TDed the Linea? As for the lack of power, you always have a powerbox. lol

Slightly higher, I'd get the Optra Magnum instead. Fewer concerns over resale, better car overall and highly motivated A.S.S. team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 1222668)
Looking at your list & the parameters provided (particularly the 5 years-1 lac kms), it would be the Magnum for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kewlferrari (Post 1222760)
My vote goes to the Magnum. Have a LS for almost a year now and I am very very sarisfied. No problems at all (touch wood). The 3 year maintenance plan is really helpful. Haven't spent a penny on it.

These are the kinda posts that have gotten me tilting towards the Magnum. My father doesn't think the Magnum has the oomph et all that. I am going to call for a TD car over this weekend and see if it works the magic, I'll probably try doing a back to back TD with the Laura & the Magnum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by girishg (Post 1222778)
The Price of the Laura Ambiente right now just makes it a phenomenal deal.

im not sure about price in mumbai but in delhi it is available for 12.49 ex showroom.

The offer is valid on only 3 colors (silver, red, bluish silver)

Seriously consider this option if you are looking to decide soon.

I have been offered a similar deal, colours available are dark gray and silver. So does this mean the current Laura is definitely going off production soon?

manson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 1222803)

Skoda probably ruled out because of http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rned-year.html. Have you considered the Xylo?

That thread I would mostly blame the dealer for unethical business practice. Not to protect Skoda in any way, there is hardly a manafacturer that accepts faults incurred by their dealers or even themselves.
If you look around, you will find a disgusted Tata Sumo Victa owner on the forum by the name of Akroy (correct?).
Then there was another Opel Astra case relating to its disguised origin, it took some donkey years to come through for the owner.

We already have an Innova (bought 8 months ago) in the house, another MUV aka Xylo would make for a boring lineup for the next couple of years.

manson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manson (Post 1223009)
...another MUV aka Xylo would make for a boring lineup for the next couple of years.

In which case I'd probably recommend the Magnum over the Laura - mainly because your usage is heavy, plus you want a fun car to drive which is cost-effective and VFM too. Forget the talk about GM going bankrupt (Barack will shift to Barackpore before he lets that happen). And the Magnum TCDi has a gem of an engine, proven already in the Elantra/Tucson/Sonata. Even if warranty runs out, parts are more easily available in the market than for the Laura. And the Altis is petrol, so you'll never get the VFM of a diesel, however much reliable it may be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 1223020)
In which case I'd probably recommend the Magnum over the Laura - mainly because your usage is heavy, plus you want a fun car to drive which is cost-effective and VFM too. Forget the talk about GM going bankrupt (Barack will shift to Barackpore before he lets that happen).

Any idea what the Magnum fetches in the current used car market? I have not seen a single car till date in the used car market.

Quote:

And the Magnum TCDi has a gem of an engine, proven already in the Elantra/Tucson/Sonata. Even if warranty runs out, parts are more easily available in the market than for the Laura.

Infact I do think of the Magnum as a smaller Sonata Embera, great engine, oodles of space, and both are great cars bogged down by their respective brand name. If I do go for the Magnum I will press for an extended warranty and the service holiday package.

Quote:

And the Altis is petrol, so you'll never get the VFM of a diesel, however much reliable it may be.

The Altis would only make financial sense if I compared it with the Laura, because it is about 1.5L cheaper than the Laura, and thats what I would roughly save on fuel costs over four-five years.

manson.

i would say go for the optra magnum lt top end its got all 4 wheel disk brakes with abs.
i have one and only drawback is the steering is a bit hard in city driving but on the highway its a real pleasure.you never get bored of driving it
the car just blasts off leaving other vehicles behind(i can say it feels like a airplane picking up speed on the runway for takeof) u can see them get smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror and dissappear. both front and rear seats are very comfy in fact i had gone to see the new skoda superb although the rear seat legroom is huge and seats are big its no match for the comfort of the magnum rear seat
maintainence is minimal only problem is small spots of rust near the underbody(i have not done antirust coating and i am in mangalore seaside weather)

Manson

I think it between the Laura and the Magnum for you. The Magnum is a fantastic car with great power and a lot of car for the money. I dont think you should be too worried about resale since you will be using it for 5 years.

As for the Laura, dealers are offering a discount of 90,000/- across the entire Laura range so that makes the Ambiente a good proposition. Though I would give the Elegance a good look too. I was at the showroom last week. They were telling me that spare prices were down and they were given 3rd year warranty free.

I would say take the Laura. It s a well built car . However the Magnum back seat is more comfortable than the Skoda but I guess you would be driving yourself.