Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2009, 19:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

A VRS is a beautiful machine. Just driving it might make you forget all these issues.

But then again, you need to let your head decide. Sit back, and think logically.

Will the fuel costs , Maintenance costs , and the way things look right now , legal costs, and the cost of your own time and money be worth it ?

Only you can decide.

So you know a good local garage/mechanic which can keep the car in good shape, and you know them REALLY well ? get them to have a look at it , and if they give the green signal, get it !

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th March 2009 at 19:24.
Old 27th March 2009, 19:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
being offered at around 4.4l....
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
A VRS is a beautiful machine. Just driving it might make you forget all these issues.
...if they give the green signal, get it !
Hey octane, did you try bargaining? Everyone knows vRS's are so expensive to maintain, they don't want to buy one. Maybe you can start your quote at 1.1L and settle finally at 2.2L .

As for mechanics in Kolkata, there are many really good ones, but the main problem is the stupendous cost of spares, as well as the fact that they are not so easily available.

As greenhorn said, just driving it might make you forget all these issues. And if you buy it for 2.2L, it'll even put a huge grin on your face! Like this
Old 27th March 2009, 19:40   #18
BHPian

Buddy, just show the current owner the instigated SKODA thread and he might even give it to your free of cost
Old 27th March 2009, 20:13   #19
BHPian

4.4 lacs + 2 lacs of immediate cost (workshop said atleast!!) = 6.4 lacs

IF you take a loan (its used) = further increase the cost

About future cost: can not imagine (especially its a damaged one)

Buy a new Octavia with lost of warranties instead by spending few more. (only if you are in true love with Skoda)

Better go by other new Diesels (Verna / Magnum)

Last edited by loving_alaap : 27th March 2009 at 20:14.
Old 27th March 2009, 20:37   #20
BHPian

guys know what??

This whole transaction is very akin to buying something like an RD350...
I know its a big gamble....spare parts, maintenance costs, poor resale....theres almost nothing goin for the deal..but then again..

Il use the very points mentioned by my friends here to haggle hard...to be very practical....The initial quote is 4.4..If by some chance the owner does decide to come down to around 2.8-3.00(seems impossible at the moment)....should i go for it??

This of course after taking it to the wrkshop to ascertain if theres no irreparable damage like a bent chassis n stuff....As far as the engine was concerned the Supervisor specifically said that there was no damage to the engine....
Wat say??

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post

But then again, you need to let your head decide. Sit back, and think logically.

Will the fuel costs , Maintenance costs , and the way things look right now , legal costs, and the cost of your own time and money be worth it ?

Only you can decide.

So you know a good local garage/mechanic which can keep the car in good shape, and you know them REALLY well ? get them to have a look at it , and if they give the green signal, get it !
Is it really possible to get this machine for 2.2??
Old 29th March 2009, 13:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@octane: avoid the car! Maintainance is very expensive. A single headlamp for the vRS costs between 30-45K at a Skoda dealership. Also, do you want to spend 2L++ on repairs on a brand new car?
Also, I dont think the airbag would open if there was a small dent on the bumper and bonnet. It usually takes more than that and there is a possibility that the engine may have been damaged. Also, to repair the airbags, wont they have to open up the dashboard? And if anything went wrong when they were working on the dash, god help you!

Just look at the car -
It met with an accident and the owner decides to sell it for literally 30% the price.
It just doesn't sound right.
Old 29th March 2009, 13:45   #22
BHPian

@Octane1002:- Forger the car man. Like said previously

Skoda - Headache
Used Skoda - Suicide
And I would like to add here
Used Skoda with Accident - Suicide for the entire family.

Also if you have read the threads on skoda - you will end up most of your time in the court. There are many other beautiful cars than a skoda. Skoda is not only high maintenance but will not give you peace of mind.

Avoid SKODA
Old 29th March 2009, 13:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Tempting as a vRS is, I would stay away from this particular one. You are lucky to have been provided with the history of the car - most dealers/sellers would conveniently forget to tell you all this. Given that you have the information that this car had been in an accident and potentially needs further repairs, you should steer clear of it IMHO.
Add to that the inefficiency of Jia Motors (Skoda A.S.S in Cal)... I see quite a few red flags dude.
Old 31st March 2009, 07:30   #24
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2009 at 12:28.
drashkum is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st March 2009, 15:08   #25
BHPian

Guys....had the car checked last sunday.....major collision....no point in following up with the deal....A biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggg thank you for all the replies....anyways there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel....stumbled upon a..(wait for it)....Sonata Embera....guess i'll have to create a new thread for that...All bouquets and brickbats to that thread....over to you mods...

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly, avod....typing...liike...this. Take a look at this thread for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st March 2009 at 15:44. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 5th April 2009, 19:38   #26
evo
BHPian

@ octane: Just out of curiosity, which dealer was selling this?
And whom did you speak to at the Workshop?
Old 6th April 2009, 11:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:
On 2nd thoughts i do spend most of my time in court....im a legal consultant you see.....

But jokes apart heres some additional info......went to the Skoda workshop where it used to be serviced....the supervisor told me that the car had been servised last March at 25.2k reading on the odo....next service was at 31 k....the car having done around 28.8k hasnt been to the workshop since....

He also told me that the car had come to them after meeting with an accident....front bumper and bonnet damaged....airbags deployed....on being told about the estimate of the repairs the owner backed off...But he also added in the same breath that there was no damage to the engine....he also spoke of some error codes in the sensors of the car...i guess its the vag-COM scanner...

The supervisor's now told me that since the car has probably been done up externally(probably at a local body workshop), if brought to the WORKSHOP they would have to replace all spurious parts(gave me an estimate of 2lakhs)...he'll confirm the estimate once i bring it down to the Workshop....

Advice
What advice do you still need man?

For a moment, forget what Harish and many other have gone through and what has been posted elsewhere on these forums; but when you know that car has such a history; why do you still want to consider it? I would have just stayed away from the car even if it was a Merc being offed at 5L.
Old 6th April 2009, 11:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....stumbled upon a..(wait for it)....Sonata Embera
Now that's more like it. Hugely spacious, comfortable, dignified-looking, sensible, affordable since resale will be low, stress-free and low-cost maintenance. What a package!
Old 9th April 2009, 19:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Here's my advice: If you do buy a Skoda and it has trouble, don't post it on the forum. You might get instigated in a court case, lol.
ha ha ha, this has definitely become the joke of the year
Old 11th April 2009, 17:48   #30
BHPian

Engine in the vRS is a gem.
Everything else is liable to failure. (You may think that it is same for any car)

But ...saving up your money for service.
Making the Skoda dealer richer

If these fit in ur lifestyle..go for the Skoda, else...look elsewhere!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks