Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 16:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need to upgrade from Maruti Esteem

After driving our Indian Mercedes - Maruti Esteem Vxi, now the time has come for a change to a new vehicle and it should be a SEDAN.

We got this vehicle in March 2003 after doing lot of R&D with other competitive cars in the market at that time and now it is getting difficult to give this one and go for a new one, but no place to keep this if we take a new one. This vehicle has done 1,25,000Kms in past 6years and goes for regular service at RNS Motors, Yeshwantpur, Bangalore and running strong till date.

Sometimes we feel like not to sell this vehicle and do some normal upgrade and use it for another 1-2yrs seeing the service we get from the Maruti Udyog and RNS Motors.

The requirement for the new vehicle is:

1) Basically it will be driven in City and occasional Long drives, this vehicle will be doing a daily commute of nearly 60-80kms.

2) This will be driven by my brother and myself, keep in mind that we both are above 6ft 2in.

3) We need to have a very good driving comfort and comfortable back seat to sit occasionally or when it is chaufeur driven.

4) Not yet decided on whether the vehicle should be Diesel or Petrol, guys pour in your valuable comments and suggestions in helping choose our next vehicle.

5) The main part of all in buying the vehicle the budget, it is stuck at 8-10 lakhs.

Please also help me out in opening my eyes to know the various SEDANS available now in India for Petrol & Diesel at the above mentioned budget.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Raghu, considering the two of you would be driving it - how about the Fiesta 1.6 - either the SXI (I can vouch for this being one hell of a drivers car) or the S (even better I'm told but you won't get the leather or the ICE of the SXI).
Old 15th April 2009, 16:32   #3
BANNED

Why stick to boring sedans? Why not another King?

The Fiesta is OK as long as you don't drive it on the Bombay - Poona Expressway . But don't let your decision be swayed by this.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The Fiesta is OK as long as you don't drive it on the Bombay - Poona Expressway . But don't let your decision be swayed by this.
LOL, good one! No such problems on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway, even at 150 kmph, I can assure you. Not unless you're running way too close & parallel to a large vehicle
Old 15th April 2009, 16:35   #5
BHPian

another option is the Linea. Sine you would average over 1000kms a month have a look at the diesel as well. Im 6ft3" and can safely say it has enough leg and knee room at the rear and front compared to the others.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why stick to boring sedans? Why not another King?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
LOL, good one! No such problems on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway, even at 150 kmph, I can assure you. Not unless you're running way too close & parallel to a large vehicle
Hey guys thanks for the suggestion, but we would also like to do the sector which has been mentioned by our own Hrishi

What is the problem on this sector with the Fiesta ?????

Hrishi going for a Tata Safari is not a problem for me, i am riding The King and would buy it if i had another 3-4L extra with me.

Also wanted to mention that these cars are out of Race

Honda City - No one is OK with it in family

Indigo / Dzire - out due to Looks.

Linea / Aeltis - Tried but the height is the problem for me in these two vehicles, Aeltis was very good in looks and engine.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:04   #7
BHPian

Looking to your priorities, it has to be Linea Multijet diesel Emotion + !!.

Will serve all your needs: Good driving comfort, good exteriors & interiors, loaded with stuff, Excellent FE.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Hey guys thanks for the suggestion, but we would also like to do the sector which has been mentioned by our own Hrishi

What is the problem on this sector with the Fiesta ?????
No problem at all. There is another thread about how another member felt his Fiesta "swaying" on the Mumbai-Pune expressway but other users of the expressway have mentioned that it is probably not due to the car but the surface of the expressway at that point which causes the swaying.

Anyway, why am I going on & on - read about it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ht=fiesta+sway

Last edited by suman : 15th April 2009 at 17:10.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Looking to your priorities, it has to be Linea Multijet diesel Emotion + !!.

Will serve all your needs: Good driving comfort, good exteriors & interiors, loaded with stuff, Excellent FE.
Alaap, the Linea is good but the height is the biggest problem for me and did try to sit in the back seat and i had to bend my head in the full TD of 3kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
No problem at all. There is another thread about how another member felt his Fiesta "swaying" on the Mumbai-Pune expressway but other users of the expressway have mentioned that it is probably not due to the car but the surface of the expressway at that point which causes the swaying.

Anyway, why am I going on & on - read about it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ht=fiesta+sway
Thanks Sumanji and need to check out on the service and other things in Bangalore, but somehow not getting good words about Ford Service in Bangalore.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:17   #10
BANNED

Actually it depends on who's driving. There are lots of sleazy joints on each side of the expressway and in the vicinity of each of these joints, the car automatically sways towards the sleazy joints. It is really the driver but it is so much easier to blame the car.

Think only diesel Gowdre. Unless your employer is paying the fuel bills.
Have you considered the Hyundai Verna SX CRDi with ABS?

Or the Fiat Palio MJD? Even the world's tallest men have felt supremely comfortable in it.
Old 15th April 2009, 17:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually it depends on who's driving. There are lots of sleazy joints on each side of the expressway and in the vicinity of each of these joints, the car automatically sways towards the sleazy joints. It is really the driver but it is so much easier to blame the car.

Think only diesel Gowdre. Unless your employer is paying the fuel bills.
Have you considered the Hyundai Verna SX CRDi with ABS?

Or the Fiat Palio MJD? Even the world's tallest men have felt supremely comfortable in it.
That's true Fiat palio it was my dream to buy it when we bought Esteem, we let our plans down as there was no proper service available in Karnataka.

As of now we are only looking for Sedan and no Hatchbacks, so Palio is out of competition.

Verna compared to the power in it the vehicle is too small and do not like the look of it, which is compared to the egg.

Hrishi, Diesel or Petrol will be depending on the options available.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:01   #12
BHPian

Gowdre....why not Optra Magnum LS. They are offering good discount.

Last edited by kdeepakk : 15th April 2009 at 18:15.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

I know you would kill me but if Comfortable Space & Sedan is a requirement you may want to check out the Indigo XL its huge at back.

Apart from that since you have rules out most of the sedans I really cant figure which other sedan can really fit 6 feet guys comfortably. I think you should look at MUVs & Suvs if Budget & purpose allow.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Raghu,

You seems to have rules out most of the available ones... the rest are not too great for tall people as you and your brother. Most probably you get only space in front!

Linea would have been my suggestion. But since it is rules out, then Optra Magnum / Aveo?
Old 15th April 2009, 19:11   #15
Team-BHP Support

The Optra Magnum fits your requirement the best, within the budget, diesel, superb legroom and a maintenance package. If you can live with the dated interiors, lack of character (IMO) and forecasted negligible resale value, the Optra Magnum is the car you should buy
Irrespective of what the dealer begins, you should easily manage a 1L discount plus a free 3 year/45,000 km maintenance package. I was offered a 1.2L discount plus the maintenance package, but a certain Jeep suits my daily purpose better.
Also, there are only 08 cars in stock with the dealers as GM has huge inventory.

manson.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed