Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2009, 17:22   #1

The New Honda City or a 2007 Skoda Laura. EDIT : Bought the city!

Hi Guys,

I am a bit indecisive about the which car to go for. Have a second hand 2007 Skoda Laura L&K being sold by a family member & the other option is the New Honda City. Love both the cars & the money I would be shelling out would be the same for any of the cars.Cant really decide on what basis to compare the two.I currently own a 2003 Honda City 1.5 EXI. So do I stick with the same brand but a brand new car or go for a luxury segment not so new baby.

HELP ME WITH YOUR VALUABLE SUGGESTIONS !
Old 19th April 2009, 20:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

if you read a lot of threads here you will notice that a lot of people have trouble in maintenance of their Skodas due to 2 reasons:
1. High cost of spares
2. Some unethical practices by skoda and their dealers which means that once your car is out of warranty (2007 model) you run the risk of a lot of frustrating experiences.

The Honda City seems to be a better choice as it will be easier to own and maintain and is more trouble-free.
Old 19th April 2009, 20:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would definately recommend to go in for Honda. The main reasons are:

1) A** is better than Skoda.
2) Spares are less costlier than Skoda.
3) Skoda people are known for their notorious ways of handling cars during servicing.(pls ready the threads already posted in this forum).
4) Honda a better VFM car than Skoda.
5) Resale value is better than Skoda.

You can also check Fiesta 1.6/SX4/Fiat Linea. The balance is left to you to decide.

Last edited by snaronikar : 19th April 2009 at 20:57.
Old 19th April 2009, 21:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

my vote for the NHC ( of these two). I'd suggest you give a look at the linea as well!
Old 19th April 2009, 21:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Please go with the ANHC instead going with the Skoda which is a costly affair in service department
Old 19th April 2009, 22:52   #6
BHPian

You should go for the ANHC. A new car is a new car and Skoda's are expensive to maintain.
Old 19th April 2009, 23:33   #7
BHPian

ANHC all the way buddy. And with the recent happenings related with service and there are news that Laura is going for a face lift ANHC is the one to go for.
Old 20th April 2009, 06:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Avoid skoda. Reason: Do I really need to mention? heh heh
You may very well have a look at LInea as well as the Fiesta 1.6 S. Both are terrific buys, and both are excellent in some or other aspects. And both the top-end Fiesta and Linea are cheaper to buy than the Honda City too, plus you may have to add alloys and mp3 to the new city which further elevates the cost.
If you are hell bent towards a City only (in that segment), then its always better than a used laura, even if the latter is being sold by a person well known to you.

Regards.
Old 20th April 2009, 08:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
4) Honda a better VFM car than Skoda.
5) Resale value is better than Skoda.

You can also check Fiesta 1.6/SX4/Fiat Linea. The balance is left to you to decide.
Hmm.

Well, Skoda cars are VFM when you consider the sticker price and bundled equipment. However, once the car is registered in your name, the Honda makes more sense. You also have to think about it in this way - would you buy a Laura L&K paying full price? And by that I mean, are you capable of footing the service bills that come with a Merc C220? If yes, and if the Skoda A.S.S in your town is good, go for it. If not, the Honda makes much more sense.

Also, you have to consider the alternatives in the segment. If you like diesel, the Linea and Verna are good candidates. If you want petrol, the Fiesta 1.6S is a driver's car bar none. Drive them all, answer the question above, and then decide.
Old 20th April 2009, 09:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

ANHC. I would not buy the Skoda because of poor service and costly spares.
Old 20th April 2009, 10:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would say it depends on what you are looking in a car.
It is true that ANHC will be a practical choice, but in terms of the feel of the car I guess Laura is in a different league. It is a question of which is a better compromise.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

I guess if you want a new car, less maintenance expenses and relative peace of mind, go for the ANHC even though it is a class lower. The Laura is a notch above and you get far more comfort and features and luxuries in it, plus obviously higher cost of ownership and maintenance. So depending on what is priority for you, the choice is straight forward!
Old 20th April 2009, 11:14   #13
BHPian

Skoda owners are already facing lot of service related issue, I dont suggest you to go for Laura.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:23   #14
BHPian

I say stay away from both. The Luara is fantastic but expensive to maintain, more of a heart buy. My heart and head both advice against the ANHC, it's not VFM. Put in the little extra and go in for the civic instead.
Old 20th April 2009, 11:25   #15
BHPian

[quote=ImmortalZ;1267686]Hmm.

Well, Skoda cars are VFM when you consider the sticker price and bundled equipment. However, once the car is registered in your name, the Honda makes more sense. You also have to think about it in this way - would you buy a Laura L&K paying full price? And by that I mean, are you capable of footing the service bills that come with a Merc C220? If yes, and if the Skoda A.S.S in your town is good, go for it. If not, the Honda makes much more sense. quote]

Guess you have answered your own question. VFM is not just the purchase sticker price, but the overall cost of ownership. My two cents :
A) I would not risk my money on Skoda as i prefer a "TROUBLE FREE" ownership experience.
B) Overall cost of ownership is high (Spares/service)
C) Having owned/driven a Honda City, I vouch for the "H" badge.
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks