Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:51   #16
BHPian

Dont pay more than 10k for this,its a complete mess.
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:55   #17
Team-BHP Support

20-30 range pick it up, anything more is expensive.
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:30   #18
BHPian

@Gowda:
Yes, thats exactly what I told the owner. Its just 12 years old and is absolutely bad on the inside.
The exterior was still not as bad as it may seem in the picture. Dint have a good look at the flooring thought. I may not be in a good skape, but then again, I might be wrong.

He is expecting 90,000 for this (in my dreams )
I personally wont go above 30,000.
I feel he will take the 30k offer.

Will it still be worth to buy this for 30k and then spend another 60k for the works.
The engine is working, the engine compartment dosnt look in a bad shape either.
Little oil leak, you can see it in the closeup pic of the engine. how bad is that?

@Aditya
Dint look closely at the state of the flooring.

WOW. so many responses. its amazing.
Thanks a lot every one. I appreciate all your efforts.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd April 2009 at 17:42.
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:31   #19
BHPian

Manish... I would suggest don't go for this car, you will end up paying a lot to refurbish it!

There's a lot of work to be done in the interiors as well as exteriors. Under the hood, it looks a lot messy, so you need to get the wiring and rubber parts get done, as they would have become hard and you will have to change them. Don't know about the technical parts yet, this is just from the pictures you have uploaded.

All I would suggest is to forget this '97 Diesel and search for some other Conti, you will get a good deal, and to add - Adi can be of help to you in this.
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

I think you better reassess your buying decision after looking at the amount of internal and external repairs that you need to do.
Old 22nd April 2009, 18:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

30k will be a total waste for this car.

there is no point buying an old car in such dirty condition and that too with an engine that delivers little and is problematic.

stay away and if you still wish to buy dont offer more than 10-12k for this crap and the owner has right to quote anything and that doesnt increase the price of this.
Old 22nd April 2009, 18:30   #22
Team-BHP Support

This car is surely pre 1996. Look at the steering, the AC Vents and the radiator grill. I wouldn't buy this car at all. Two weeks ago I picked up a 1994 petrol with all parts intact for a friend. The car needs work - body, brakes, electricals and tyres. That will cost another 45K or so. But, the platform is good, engine is excellent and suspensions are superb. That's an investment of a lakh in total. Cars with no work needed are few and not easily available. Expect prices of 1 Lakh and above.
Old 22nd April 2009, 18:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

the car is definitely pre 90 its a non power steering car firstly conti after mid 95 came with P/S

while searching i saw the same single maruti type a/c vent and a/c knob below the vent it was 88 model and its not a original diesel engine car its a petrol one which is converted to diesel and maybe having a diesel conti's rc from the year 97 i have seen many such cars

i suggest not to buy this car and if you to have max 35k

please look for another car and if you can wait i can help you in getting a much better car than this but it will be from punjab 2000-2002 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
TCars with no work needed are few and not easily available. Expect prices of 1 Lakh and above.
i paid around 80k and i feel its a bargain
i even got the original owners manual and the original sales receipt with car dated 6-01-93 and all the pollution certificate as well as the insurance copies from the year 93 and even a small slip mentioning the part which was changed under warranty

and about the floor all the conti's i have seen come with rusted floors even mine had rusted floors
Attached Thumbnails
Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-dsc00795.jpg  

Last edited by manikjeet : 22nd April 2009 at 18:56.
Old 22nd April 2009, 19:11   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's a piece of....umm, what do they call it....JUNK! Run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:23   #25
BHPian

This car would be a real good buy for 30K, at least it's got the working engine,booster assisted brakes,and an A/C which can be repaired and used.But he whole interior will have to be redone along with most of the body parts and running gear.
Old 23rd April 2009, 21:56   #26
BHPian

Thanks a lot you all .I have decided to keep away from this one...
I hope other readers will read find this helpful.

Thanks again...

BTW. My mechanic, is looking for a conti diesel engine...He wants to use it on his willys which is under restoration..Just an FYI
Cheers
Old 24th April 2009, 00:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Please do not go anywhere near this one. The only use i cam see for this car is in a movie to be blown up!

Keep lookin,. I'm sure you'll find a better car!!
Old 24th April 2009, 00:34   #28
BHPian

Dude it's an absolute piece of JUNK. But looking at the positive side, you will become an expert with mechanicals refurbishing this piece of junk
Old 24th April 2009, 01:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, I stumbled on this thread by chance.
I do have a 'Conti' as the car was fondly called, and while in use really enjoyed the rides.
So looking at this example, I would avoid it completely. You are going to get an unpleasant surprise when you do the tin work. This car has not been looked after.
You have not mentioned how you intend to use the car. If milage is not high, a petrol car is the better option.
Good luck, and make your own right choice.

Cheers harit
Old 30th April 2009, 16:10   #30

Please DON'T buy this Junk. Not worth it. Keep looking and you would get a better one than this. It's a Shame for the way it's been maintained.. Asking for 90k ?? PLEASE ...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks