Team-BHP - Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/57085-found-1997-contessa-2-0-diesel.html)

I have come across a guy seeling his 1997 Contessa Diesel.
Engine is running but the interiors are a big mess. door panels, handles, locking everything is in a bad shape. Body looks ok with some minor body work.
Requires a complete interior remake aldo requires some body work and a complete paint job.
Engine sounds ok. Ac is working, according to the owner. Requires a gas refill.

I would need suggestions for following.

What should be the ideal price?
How easy it is to source parts?
Is it easy to maintain?
Is diesel contessa a good choice or petrol?

I will post pictures soon.

Thanks..

Finding a good contessa is very difficult but not impossible, i have also recently purchased one
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-contessa.html
1 the ideal price a decent one will a diesel engine would 55k to max 65k
2 yup all new parts are available even new shells are available from the factory
3 its easy but will it be your weekend car or primary car
4 petrol contessa drinks alot will give you max 8 with a/c in city. but the pure fun part about a contessa is its petrol engine the deisel is a little slugish but you can replace the unit with a 2.4 turbo engine

A lot of body work and interior job, also the engine will show it's true colours only if you get the A/C working, also the part about the A/C working after just a gas refill will most probably be a good lie as I have seen it at least 15 times in different cars which are on sale, ask the car for 35K go to a maximum of 45K, anything more than that is just too much.

Also good condition used petrol Contessas are in the market for 25K. Both the engines are relatively cheap to maintain and is totally trouble free if maintained properly.

Going by the description you have given, I would not touch the car. Interior plastics and door panels can be a nightmare to source.
Well maintained cars whether petrol or diesel, are no longer available cheap in Mumbai. Very few cars are left and no one's selling them cheap.
Try looking in Baramati or Kolhapur. Even there you'll need a lot of luck and atleast 75K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by muneemmk (Post 1269402)

Also good condition used petrol Contessas are in the market for 25K. Both the engines are relatively cheap to maintain and is totally trouble free if maintained properly.

you wouldn't get even a decently maintained contessa for 25k i searched for almost 1.5 years for 25k contessa but couldn't find a single
the ones that were available were govt. auction cars but no runner and that were standing still for more than 2 years they all were priced at 40k and up

the scrap value of contessa is more than 35k in chandigarh

i paid north of 80k but i got a well documented car with its original sale receipt and i even the owner manual i even got all the insurance paper and pollution certificate

as for the maintenance i have sent a single rupee on the engine till now and i seen these engine going north of 3.50 lac km with easy without any major work

Would not touch a 97 Contessa Diesel If available for more than 25K as from the discreption you give, you would have to put in atleast another 20K overall.Petrol Contessas were the better ones of the two options,The Isuzu engined ones being the best of the lot!Suggest you to rethink your options of buying one unless you are a hardcore fan of the Contessa!

A contessa is only about the silk 1.8 ISZ petrol; the diesel is cumbersome to drive and is entirely lacking in performance. This, coupled with the fact that she is 12 years old, makes the said car entirely avoidable.

I once used to deal with Isuzu engines as an importer. The Petrol Isuzu - 1.8 L puts out about 88 BHP compared with the diesel Isuzu 4FB1 engine which puts out about 51 BHP. The diesel unit is frugal and can give about 12 to 18 KM per liter. It is capable of a long service without much complaint. It lacks the punch compared with the petrol Isuzu.

Look under the engine bay for any signs of oil leakage. These cars are prone to damaging the engine oil sump which can result in expensive engine work.

Contessa cars have a low overhang and they scrape the underchassis if you ask them to mount a speed breaker.

Manikjeet,
how come new parts are available when the car was discontinued around year 2000?

Absolutely no idea how, but, they are available. If anything is not available readily, HM's Mumbai parts supplier takes an advance from me and gets it from the factory at Kolkata in two or three days max.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMY56 (Post 1270685)
Manikjeet,
how come new parts are available when the car was discontinued around year 2000?

i to have no idea but as aditya said they are available
my dealer in Chandigarh has all the part available and if something needs to be ordered he takes advance and he orders from down south and the parts come in about 3-4 days time

even brand new shell are available and are priced around 1.5 lacs

but the most difficult part i have come across to source are the window still
they come are a whole set with the window frames but the dealer was able to source one set for me

i recent even got a NOS 4 spoke stearing wheel it was for around 500 but the price printed was 1550

part are available but you have to find the right person

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009643.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009644.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009645.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009649.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009650.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009651.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009652.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009653.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009654.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009655.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009656.jpg

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009657.jpg

Name:  19042009658.jpg
Views: 10942
Size:  60.2 KB

Found a 1997 Contessa 2.0 Diesel-19042009659.jpg

Here are the pictures of the Contessa.
Thank you all for the help. I guess I am very close to making my decision.
Please provide your comments about the care based on the pictures. I hope this thread and picture references will help others in making their decision.

Thanks again
Manish

I would say 25-30K is the ideal price of this car, you will have to incure more than 50K for interiours/engine/tinkering/painting job and believe me it is more fun to drive in Highways and pain to drive in city. the back seat comfort is one of the best in any sedans.

-MUKE

After seeing the pictures only one question - Do you really want to take this ???

Some parts are being tied by using rope, so that it does not fall away.

what is the price of the vehicle ???

For a vehicle from 1997 to see in this state is a real bad thing

It looks like the vehicle has been lying in the dump yard for years!! If i were you, i would never buy this Conti.