Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2005, 13:08   #1
BANNED

Need help choosing used Optra 1.6 vs New Petra

Hi

I did not see my last post, so am posting again.

Basically I was evaluating New Petra 1.6 ELX vs Baleno till a genuine seller of Optra 1.6 EL came along. The car is fully loaded, done 12,000 kms, May 04 registration and has additional MP3 players, teflon coat , under coat, sun film - done by the first buyer. His best price is 7L. Given new Petra ELX here in Bangalore is 6.2L, is it not better to go for 2nd hand Optra? I have never bought a second hand car. Could experienced people please guide me based on the maths above?

Thanks
Manish
Old 25th May 2005, 13:19   #2
BHPian

I think he is asking too much for the OPTRA ..
Genrally in a year the cars market value shud depreciate by atleast 25-30% of a brand new car...
A brand new car is always a better buy ...
There must be some reason why anyone wud want to sell a car thats only 1 year old ..
Do a bankground check ..
Old 25th May 2005, 13:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Optra 1.6 will give you better peace of mind (noting that you are in B'lore) than a Petra, IF it is new. EVO6's points are extremely valid. I would suggest you approach this deal with care.
Old 25th May 2005, 16:02   #4
BHPian

agree with typeO
The Optra 1.6 is definitely the better choice in case of a new car (within your budget of course) but why would such a newish car be on sale...dont you want to know?

Go for a new car.......I never buy used stuff in general (if I cannot afford I will wait or buy a cheaper alternative) but a new equipment (not just vehicle) will have much more chances of being defect free, having warranties and better quality than used.
Old 25th May 2005, 16:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

i fully second evo6's statement. a new car is on any day a better deal than a used one.
Old 25th May 2005, 19:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you get into the used car market, you can see 100's of cars at all segments that has come for sale within a year. There might be different reasons for different person. What we want is a good car with perfects documents. Hence we need to ensure the mechanical conditions, perfect documents and reasonable price. The depriciation would be higher for new cars.

If all the criterias are taken care, bother less about the reason why it was sold.

While purchasing the used cars, make sure that vehicle has not met with any accidents causing damages to the structure of the car. You need to take an expert advice to ensure that car is clean without mechanical & physical damages
Old 25th May 2005, 21:27   #7
BANNED

I think he is asking too much for try bargaining.. i would buy well the Petra first hand..
Old 25th May 2005, 22:26   #8
SMG
BHPian

I don't know about your requirements, use profile and budget as well as how long are you going to keep this car, so in no way I am suggesting you which car to buy or trying to influence your decision however based on observations I have made so far (Yes, I am also in the process of buying a mid sizer) I would not recommend new Petra and used Optra as well.
Old 25th May 2005, 22:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest the Optra..i simply fell its got a more classy look and would have a better ride quality, make that a Black Optra
Old 25th May 2005, 22:44   #10
SMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay
agree with typeO
The Optra 1.6 is definitely the better choice in case of a new car (within your budget of course) but why would such a newish car be on sale...dont you want to know?
I know some cases in which people sold their new cars within first six months like:

1> A friend of mine purchased a Getz and within 5 months he had to leave India for a long-term project assignment overseas, so he has no option other than selling it.
2> My close relative got an Esteem in 2002, within first 6 months their family met with a series of misfortunes not car accidents but financial losses, deaths, loosing a court case etc. so they stamped the poor Esteem as an unlucky car hence sold it.
3> In another case again my relative, sold his brand new Zen (just 3 months old) because he had to raise money to meet some financial emergency.

But in most cases reasons for selling a car so early could be:

1> Car had an accident, it is still movable but needs a costly repair (because of that accident) in very near future
2> Owner realized that he wouldn’t be able to afford it both fuel cost wise or maintenance cost wise.
Old 26th May 2005, 12:37   #11
BANNED

It would be nice if you could mention what you are looking for.. so that will help in a faster and better decision..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks