Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 07:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

This whole economy thing is completely crap. If you have 15-18k a year - you can do without a diesel. What most guys lovingly forget is the higher upfront cost.

And if your heart says a baleno, then that's what you should go for.

Plus a TD should clear most doubts. You honestly cant be speaking as an enthusiast and mentioning Ikon and Getz in the same sentence - both are totally different beasts
Old 5th May 2009, 16:04   #17
BHPian

How far can we get availibility of the Baleno spares?
I'm seriously considering this one now.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

fieroid, if i were you, i would have bought a used baleno and not face the depreciation of a new car in these hard times. parts are avaialable and 'relatively' affordable. depreciation kills!!
Old 5th May 2009, 16:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
How far can we get availibility of the Baleno spares?
I'm seriously considering this one now.
Everything thing is available off the shelf at maruti , on JC road and worst case scenario the distributor is off the outer ring road.Like akshay said,maruti has cut prices on mgp products like mad.

Sgp prices on certain parts have dropped too by 50% nearly.

Check the thread on my car's report.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:28   #20
BHPian

Based on my colleague's experience, a Baleno owner who met with an accident... some expensive parts are not stocked at the dealer, will have to wait for it to arrive from the factory, so assume a 2 wks outage for expensive part failures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Everything thing is available off the shelf at maruti , on JC road and worst case scenario the distributor is off the outer ring road.Like akshay said,maruti has cut prices on mgp products like mad.

Sgp prices on certain parts have dropped too by 50% nearly.

Check the thread on my car's report.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Parts are available for baleno,thats not a issue atleast for the current period.I would sugest baleno and then the swift rather than the ford.Some how the ford doesnt get into my heart.Looks ok from the front but rest again the old flair.So no much flair for flair as a matter of fact.If baleno is ruled out then swift all the way.

ram
Old 5th May 2009, 17:13   #22
BHPian

Hmmm, the SGP pricing is what scares me and also non-availibility of certain parts.
for ex, the silver beading on the sides is an SGP part and one of my friend had to replace coz someone pulled it off and it was 22k when checked with the dealer.
But ya, the depreciation of a new car is anyday higher than whatever spare I replace in a baleno. Fine, I'll look for a good baleno else buy a Swift D.
if I pick one, the head will be stripped within a week
Old 5th May 2009, 21:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Fieroid, trust me Baleno parts are available easily.I should know
I am on my 4th engine and 3rd suspension etc etc etc. Most bought SGP. Everything 100% off the shelf.
Old 5th May 2009, 21:48   #24
BHPian

Its always a struggle between listening to your heart vs logic. I dont think parts are such an issue, its not easily available as the Esteem but you can get it most of it without too much of a delay.
Old 6th May 2009, 13:35   #25
BHPian

Now that gives me a lot of relief.
Old 6th May 2009, 16:10   #26
BHPian

Joel - for 15-18k Km driving per year you do not need the diesel as others have mentioned. Go in for a new Swift VXI petrol with ABS if you are not looking for the space the sedan provides and use the balance money saved over for starting off your mods. Stay away from the Ikon as later on parts and service is expensive.

Personally I would stay away from the Baleno since it is now dated in looks and features and regardless of how well the owner took care it will soon develop issues due to old age.
Old 6th May 2009, 18:03   #27
BHPian

Strange!! But Joel, you didn't think abt the oHc vTec???
Old 6th May 2009, 19:21   #28
BHPian

^shrey, I did think of the V-tec. But where do you get a good one in bangalore man? Else, u need to hunt one down from elsewhere. All here are mostly abused, then others are crazily expensive (buggers still quote 4-5L) and the rest are in an ok ok shape. Parts are also getting becoming hard to source. Since mid 2003, the city got phased. Its a good 6yrs now. The baleno was sold untill 2 yrs ago.
Sometimes, I feel I should just pick a good Esteem and forget about the parts mess. Its available for the next 10yrs too and dirt cheap. I can play with all that i want.
I'm confused as hell man.
Old 6th May 2009, 19:43   #29
BANNED

Go for the Getz CRDI Sort out the handling with a suspension upgrade, put better tyres on and you'll be good to go. If you get bored with 110 horses plug in some electronics and you get some additional 20 to 30 horses. And in the end you'll still enjoy Diesel Economy. Makes sense to me. Or wait for the i20 Diesel, but it might be expensive than the Getz.
Old 6th May 2009, 20:07   #30
BHPian

Dude!! call me, I have something for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
^shrey, I did think of the V-tec. But where do you get a good one in bangalore man? Else, u need to hunt one down from elsewhere. All here are mostly abused, then others are crazily expensive (buggers still quote 4-5L) and the rest are in an ok ok shape. Parts are also getting becoming hard to source. Since mid 2003, the city got phased. Its a good 6yrs now. The baleno was sold untill 2 yrs ago.
Sometimes, I feel I should just pick a good Esteem and forget about the parts mess. Its available for the next 10yrs too and dirt cheap. I can play with all that i want.
I'm confused as hell man.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed