Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 17:28   #1
BHPian

Which car to buy? Heart says Baleno, but mind says Diesel hatch/sedan

I sold my Mpfi Zen over a year ago and didnt think of a replacement for a while now.
One of the main reasons for me to sell the Zen was coz its a small hatch. I would have hot-rodded the Zen with a G13B and other works but sold it stock.
So I have my soft corner towards the Baleno but I'm always horrified with the parts availibility issues and I sure dont plan to keep the engine stock for too long.
My plan was to pick a sparingly used Baleno for a decent price and I dont intend to change the car for the next 3-4 yrs atleast. But what about parts supply in the long run? This is the only maruti car to face spares issues.
My second plan is to pick a new Diesel hatch/sedan.
A few in my list are the,
Swift VDI
Getz CRDI
Ikon TDCI

I personally love the getz for its ballistic performance, but the fact that its due for a replacement by the i20 CRDI is a bit of a concern. Long term issues? And the car feels more spacious than the Swift and handles well too.

Then the Swift VDI is a very logical option. Good engine and package but feels cramped and I still havent digested the looks. I dont mind buying one coz its economical, cheap to maintain and holds a good brand image.

Lastly the dated Ikon with the Fiesta heart which costs lesser than a Getz CRDI, is a sedan and handles well too. However Fords are expensive in the long run from what I've heard and I have Ikon pals who crib about the expensive Ford service and parts.

I'd like to know which is the best buy of these and which ones makes most sense. I'd clock about 15-18k kms a year and if its a diesel I can use it for most of my city commute.
Please advise.

Joel
Old 29th April 2009, 17:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

For someone who will mod the car, the~ 1-2k per month net saving is not worth bothering.

Buy the rocket you wanna go for. Baleno.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
For someone who will mod the car, the~ 1-2k per month net saving is not worth bothering.

Buy the rocket you wanna go for. Baleno.

Rocket ? then it should be the GETZ CRDI
Old 29th April 2009, 17:48   #4
BHPian

How about wait for a while check out the Punto and if it doesnt appeal then the Swift VDi
Old 29th April 2009, 17:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Joel, while you have listed the pros and cons of the 4 cars, I don't see any mention of what you are looking for in the car (correct me if wrong), which would help people suggest an option for you. For eg. if diesel economy appeals to you, the Baleno is ruled out.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:34   #6
BHPian

From your options,
My choice

1st: Getz CRDI
2nd: Ikon
3rd: Swift

Reasons? : Already given

More options,
New Accent CNG (company fitted)
Vista Diesel (vast space)
Old 29th April 2009, 18:51   #7
BHPian

man why not buy a verna crdi second hand . you can easily get one for 6-7 lakhs
you get a sedan,economy of a diesel,all the power you want if u still want more just add a petes box in 5 mins no need of messy mods and heartburn later,virtually no maintenance costs just routine servicing
actually it has everything you are looking for and more
Old 29th April 2009, 18:52   #8
BHPian

@supremebaleno - What Im looking for is, a car which is pretty fast, spacious and fairly economical.
The baleno is the only petrol I'm looking at, and thats only coz I have my keeda for modding engines. Else I'll just look at a stock Diesel car.
So just wanna know from you guys whats the best option for me in picking a car.
Now what about the Getz CRDI getting phased soon? Thats a car which tops my list among the diesels.
How good is the Ikon TDCI?
Old 29th April 2009, 18:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

How much you drive around in a year and what is the the city/highway split ?

Last edited by SkyWalker : 29th April 2009 at 18:55.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:17   #10
BHPian

Like I've said earlier, its about 15-18k a year. It would be 60% in city and 40% highway drives. I like these diesels coz they are bang for the buck and the performance is incredible esp the Getz. Donno if my usability will justify the cost.
Old 29th April 2009, 19:29   #11
BHPian

I dated car but IMO better than the sedans you are contemplating .. Hyundai Accent. I friend just picked one up for 5.2Lacs and had a whole lot of freebies thrown in. it's still a steal if you are ok with the 1999 looks. Plus , the 95bhp gives you a very crisp ride , not to mention the great suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
Like I've said earlier, its about 15-18k a year. It would be 60% in city and 40% highway drives. I like these diesels coz they are bang for the buck and the performance is incredible esp the Getz. Donno if my usability will justify the cost.
Old 29th April 2009, 20:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

@fierod: sorry i missed it. With 15-18K a year i would recommend you stick to diesels. With 60% city i recommend you choose between Swift D/Ikon D. Probably in your place i would choose Ikon for two reasons:
  • it wont have the wait time like Swift D
  • price is not too different, and Ikon provides more space - which is one of your key parameters
Old 29th April 2009, 20:14   #13
BHPian

Ikon came to my mind only coz it costs almost as much as a VDI and has a boot. But what about aspects like handling, maintenance? I have driven the petrol 1.6 and 1.3 which are efficient handlers but what with a diesel motor? Looks dated and I bet the engine cant be any peppier than the Swift and getz. Which is the biggest let down.
Is the Getz CRDI being phased out soon?
Old 29th April 2009, 20:37   #14
BHPian

I support docap's suggestion. Look for a used Verna if you're keen on a diesel. It'll give you ample space, good economy, and decent power. And I believe you'd want to go the Pete's or RD way for a bit more BANG for your buck
Old 30th April 2009, 04:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Just buy the Baleno if your heart says so. Go buy it up north, reregister it here, you'll save some money. Parts are available, and Maruti has slashed MGP prices like crazy.

If you are considering a diesel, buy the Swift. Handles much better, though you cannot argue with the ~110 horses of the Hyundai.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed