Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 20:57   #16
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nityanand.s.s View Post
If you are looking for Petrol, why don't you test drive SX4? Its a neat car and lots of discount been given by Maruti !!
Ikon comes in for 4.5 petrol variant do you think the discounts are such substantial?

Old 9th May 2009, 21:17   #17
BHPian

I feel that the Hyundai Verna would be woth considering, if you havent decided yet. In my books, it would score more than SX4, DZire, or even Fiesta.

Ikon is nice, and scores more than many other cars, though my observation is that many new Ikons are not seen nowadays compared to other said options. That could be good or bad - it will turn heads (good) unknown issues and problems (bad). and this is my opinion please.

all the best, keep us posted on your decision! regards!
Old 9th May 2009, 21:26   #18
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I feel that the Hyundai Verna would be woth considering, if you havent decided yet. In my books, it would score more than SX4, DZire, or even Fiesta.

all the best, keep us posted on your decision! regards!
I looked at sx4, dzire, fiesta they are any where from 1 to 3 lks more than my budget. Problem is I am preapproved for only 1.5 lakhs LOL. They say after i submit my tax i can be approved for more. so if i take a 6 lakh car i would be spending in 4.5 to 5 lakhs in downpayments and papers. I think for a 5 lakh down payment one can attain a car of atleast 15 lakhs.

I like the Verna a little bit but for some reason has someone modded it??

Old 9th May 2009, 21:39   #19
Team-BHP Support

D-Man, since you're looking at a new Ikon, it should serve you well for the period you intend to keep it. For the price, there is no other car with a boot which can offer the same amount of fun provided by the Ikon. If you intend to mod it extensively after a year of usage, i dont see the need for an Extended Warranty, since you're going to void it anyways.

Since you have decided on an option, as well as drawn up a comfortable budget, you seem to have done your homework. All the best with your purchase, and do put up an ownership thread on the same.
Old 9th May 2009, 23:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ikon = fun

The Ikon is a fun car to drive. Unfortunately (IIRC) the 1.6 is no longer available and the 'Flair' is available only with the 1.3. For sheer stability and driveability the Ikon was and is a leader. The car is built tough and takes oodles of punishment.

The Ikon has been around for a long time and has proven itself. The only thing you should worry about is model redundancy as it has been almost totally replaced by the Fiesta.

Cheers,
Old 10th May 2009, 01:25   #21
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The Ikon is a fun car to drive. Unfortunately (IIRC) the 1.6 is no longer available and the 'Flair' is available only with the 1.3. For sheer stability and driveability the Ikon was and is a leader. The car is built tough and takes oodles of punishment.

Cheers,
Dude Finally!! not that i was fishing for good news I know about 1.6 as it was model long ago. My brother had it and those days i heard nothing but good things about it. He once hit a truck flipped the car on X- Axis . Guess he drove it home though. Unbelievable ! but its true. For once sounded like a Mithun story. I just wasnt sure it still holded true after 8 years and I think thats the reason I kind of wanted to run away from Accent. Accent is more street ready than a Ikon but I guess nothings impossible.

Old 10th May 2009, 06:20   #22
BHPian

Ikon is a good drivers car. And in 4.5 lacs, it meets your budget as well. The only thing you should keep in mind if you plan to keep it only for an year is its resale value, which may be lesser compared to other cars being discussed here. Otherwise, nice car and you should go ahead.
Old 10th May 2009, 12:17   #23
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Ikon is a good drivers car. And in 4.5 lacs, it meets your budget as well. The only thing you should keep in mind if you plan to keep it only for an year is its resale value, which may be lesser compared to other cars being discussed here. Otherwise, nice car and you should go ahead.
Do you know what percentage it holds towards its resale in case i sell after a year? Coz like i said i might prep it up a bit with help of our valuable resources here.

Old 10th May 2009, 20:06   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You will take a MASSIVE depreciation hit if you sell a Ford within its first year. My question is : Why buy brand new in the first place, if the intended usage is only for 12 months? Buy a 1 - 3 year old car and let someone else take the hit.

For 5 lakh rupees, you have a wide range : Right from the 1st gen Accord to the Honda City's to Corollas.
Old 10th May 2009, 20:16   #25
BHPian

I feel since you have a budget and price consideration, go for the ikon.

You also have the resale value and modd concerns - I would say that would be applicable to other cars as well, with deviations based on models and variants to an extend. In my opinion you should not worry about that and go with your budget and this mere match of your likings
Old 11th May 2009, 10:19   #26
D-Man

Thanks all for taking efforts in responding to my querries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For 5 lakh rupees, you have a wide range : Right from the 1st gen Accord to the Honda City's to Corollas.
I saw a Honda Accord 1 gen with 20k on odo. Single owner. Accords are good for mods but is it worth buying someones **** for 5 lakh?

Old 11th May 2009, 10:57   #27
BHPian

Ikon-D has Fiesta's 1.4 mill and is known to be as good or better than petrol's in the city on the Fiesta. Now in the Ikon which weighs less, it should do even better and its good for 120 KMPh on the highway which is the practical cruising speed on our highways.
and its one of the smoothest Diesels, just that the clutch could be a tad harder. I settled for Fiesta Petrol because my yearly run may not exceed 12-15K kms. If it was more like 20K kms i would have opted for the diesel. Just do a test drive of both Fiesta Diesel/Ikon diesel and petrol to get an idea on weather you can tolerate diesels and whats the diff between them.

If its going to be a one year hold for the car sure an used Ikon would be a far better idea as its available comparitively for lower prices in its segment. Also selling a new Ikon petrol in a years time (resale is terrible though the car's good) may set you back by a bit, be sure to take that in to account as well.

Last edited by marlinspike : 11th May 2009 at 10:59. Reason: add more info
Old 11th May 2009, 11:27   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
marlinspike : Ikon-D has Fiesta's 1.4 mill and is known to be as good or better than petrol's in the city on the Fiesta. Now in the Ikon which weighs less, it should do even better and its good for 120 KMPh on the highway which is the practical cruising speed on our highways.
@ 120 kmph, the Ikon-D will not be cruising. It'll be trying to mime a F1 car.

In city, the Ikon-D is way better than the 1.3. But the re-sale value of the current 1.3 Ikon will be pretty low, whenever you sell it.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:36   #29
D-Man

I just test drove the IKON - D they dint have petrol variant right now. Ill be honest it was ok. I wish the gear change was bit better. I may be comparing the gear shift with that of SX4/Swift. I shall wait for the Petrol variant.
I think I have made my mind now I shall not sell this one after a year instead I would Mod the engine. I would be looking for Non Turbo mods. I have searched for Modded Ikon on our forum but was not able to find it. Would I be the first for the second gen?

Old 11th May 2009, 11:41   #30
BHPian

D-Man, there are several people (including me) who have done some basic performance mods like FFE, Conical air filters, tri-phase etc. but I'm not aware of anyone who has tinkered with the engine. While the Rocam engine is a robust engine, it is not very mod-friendly, that's what the general perception seems to be.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks