Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 00:22   #1
BHPian

Upgrading from Indica V2 DLS - Need guidance!

I've been with my Indica V2 DLS (non-turbo) for the past 7 years. Nothing to write about on performance and refinement, but was sure VFM, reliable, easy on the pocket and rock steady on highways. I wanted to chuck it out (i think we have held on for too long) but somehow my dad wants it as a second car, just because we maintained it so well.

Thanks to the recession, my travel plans are shelved and i will be here for sometime. So thought, why not upgrade to next segment before my company withdraws the car lease scheme for good

So my hunt began. I ruled out B segment as i did not want to go for another hatch.

My requirements are:
- Max budget of 7 lakhs (ex-showroom)
- Ride comfort (4 people, sometimes 5) - I am a 6 feeter.
- Handling
- Refinement
- Decent power/torque (although i wanted something peppy - but have to
compromise given the constraints)
- Decent mileage
- Good resale value (if i decide to shift from bangalore within 2-3 years:
obviously i wont transfer the car to the new location because of all the road
tax hassles)
- Low on maintenance

I know i am asking for too much

My driving wont exceed 600 kms per month, excluding some long drives on weekends. So diesel doesn't make much sense for me, although i am crazy about Mjet's and DDIS's for their torque.

My options:

- Ikon, Esteem, Accent: Not considering, as i think they are past their expiry
dates.
- Dzire: Personally don't like the styling, although it fits most of my
requirements.
- Ford Fiesta: Not so frugal and perceived high maintenance although one of
the best drivers car.
- SX4: Rear seating not that great.
- Aveo 1.4: Not too sure, as it has been in the market for quite some time.
But from the reviews, find it as a VFM car.
- Fiat Linea (Petrol): My first preference. But having second thoughts
because of after sales service and resale value.
- Hyundai Verna (Petrol): I have no clue, as there is not much information on
it on our forum.
- Don't want to go for anything from Tata's stable or Renault (Logan).

I am not sure if there more action in C segment, although B, B+ segment is really hot. Don't think it makes sense to wait any further either.

All inputs appreciated.
Old 21st May 2009, 09:28   #2
BHPian

Hello Ajay,

I will suggest you to go for a AVEO 1.4, its a great value for money and has a peppy enough engine for that sudden rush of blood. The built quality I think will be the best among options that you have given.

I myself own one form past 3 years and there has been no rattling whatsoever.

It will give you a decent fuel economy of 11+ kmpl with AC in city and 14+ kmpl with AC on average Highways, on good highways it will give you around 15+ kmpl with AC.

+ you get 3 year free maintenance, I feel its a bonus todays time. Anything and everything that goes kaput ( running repairs ) gets replaced free of cost with zero labour charges, trust me on this.

Your second choice should be the Linea, its doing good and is selling in good numbers, there are a lot Linea owners on TBHP, I think there views should help you a lot.

Cheers.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:55   #3
BHPian

Looking to your requirement,

- Ride comfort (4 people, sometimes 5) - I am a 6 feeter. (Linea much bigger car)
- Handling (tie)
- Refinement (tie)
compromise given the constraints) (Fiesta)
- Decent mileage (Linea D)
tax hassles) (Dzire)
- Low on maintenance (probably Dzire)

IMO Linea D (1.3 MJD) will be the best bet, but price wise its higher.

SO, go for Dzire D, will suit all your requirement.

though its build quality is a serious concern but its ok, if you want to sell in next 2-3 years.

In petrol, for you, Linea vs Fiesta a tie. (I personally like Linea)
Old 21st May 2009, 13:18   #4
Team-BHP Support

Even Dzire P is a good option considering only 600kms/month!
Old 21st May 2009, 14:53   #5
BHPian

Hello Ajay,

I will suggest you to go for a AVEO 1.4, its a great value for money and has a peppy enough engine for that sudden rush of blood. The built quality I think will be the best among options that you have given.

I myself own one form past 3 years and there has been no rattling whatsoever.

It will give you a decent fuel economy of 11+ kmpl with AC in city and 14+ kmpl with AC on average Highways, on good highways it will give you around 15+ kmpl with AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
+ you get 3 year free maintenance, I feel its a bonus todays time. Anything and everything that goes kaput ( running repairs ) gets replaced free of cost with zero labour charges, trust me on this.
Your second choice should be the Linea, its doing good and is selling in good numbers, there are a lot Linea owners on TBHP, I think there views should help you a lot.

Cheers.

Are you sure on this 3 years free maintenance? I just called up GM's helpline and they said that there is an additional charge to avail this. So it comes on top of ex-showroom price.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:47   #6
BHPian

Any inputs on Verna? Should i even consider it?
Old 22nd May 2009, 00:10   #7
BHPian

I suggest you go for a Hyundai i20. It's safe, spacious enough to seat 4-5 people comfortably. The i20 cabin is well insulated, in fact better than the sx4. You get creature comforts like climate control, electrically fold-able mirrors. Ride quality is much better than the swift or the dzire; doesn't rattle like the marutis. I own a swift and I would have preferred an i20 to the swift.
If you really need a boot, go for the linea. Be warned that both these cars are sluggish, though not as sluggish as an indica. The i20 is quite manageable in the city and feels underpowered on the highway.
DOn't buy the Aveo is unsafe and does miserably in euroNCAP. The Verna handles like a boat and I prefered the i20 to the Verna as the latter has behaves badly on the highway. The Verna floats due to cross-winds and I have experienced this on the expressway. Besides, you won't get much resale for the Verna petrol.

The Fiesta handles really well and I love the raspy 1.6 petrol. The diesel fiesta is really slow.

If you choose to buy the Aveo, act pricey with the dealer. Haggle and make sure he gives you discounts. Remember : The Verna, Aveo, Getz CRDi and Fiesta don't sell too well.

Yes, you can consider the Verna, it's competant enough, but isn't as good and fresh as the i20. If you really need a boot, your first choice should be : 1) Fiat Linea followed by Verna and then the Fiesta. Please don't buy an aveo. Also check out the team-bhp reviews.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:02   #8
BHPian

Thanks Thermalpaste on your advice.

I did not consider I20 as i am going on for a 3 box car. I've heard about Verna's horror stories with handling.
From the Aveo's review what i've read on TBHP, i find it decent enough - Especially with the 3yrs. free maintenance and the goodies it offers with limited edition version (1.4).
I know with GM's fate, it might not fetch a good resale value.

Anyways i am doing TD for both Aveo and Linea this week.

Will get back with my gut feel
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been with my Indica V2 DLS (non-turbo) for the past 7 years. Nothing to write about on performance and refinement, but was sure VFM, reliable, easy on the pocket and rock steady on highways. I wanted to chuck it out (i think we have held on for too long) but somehow my dad wants it as a second car, just because we maintained it so well.

Thanks to the recession, my travel plans are shelved and i will be here for sometime. So thought, why not upgrade to next segment before my company withdraws the car lease scheme for good

So my hunt began. I ruled out B segment as i did not want to go for another hatch.

My requirements are:
- Ride comfort (4 people, sometimes 5) - I am a 6 feeter.
- Handling
- Refinement
compromise given the constraints)
- Decent mileage
tax hassles)
- Low on maintenance

I know i am asking for too much

My driving wont exceed 600 kms per month, excluding some long drives on weekends. So diesel doesn't make much sense for me, although i am crazy about Mjet's and DDIS's for their torque.

- Fiat Linea (Petrol): My first preference. But having second thoughts
because of after sales service and resale value.
- Hyundai Verna (Petrol): I have no clue, as there is not much information on
it on our forum.
- Don't want to go for anything from Tata's stable or Renault (Logan).

I am not sure if there more action in C segment, although B, B+ segment is really hot. Don't think it makes sense to wait any further either.

All inputs appreciated.
Close your eyes and choose Fiat linea emotion pack petrol and you will not regret. I personally own a linea and it has been a month and i am absolutely in love with the car. The car is fantastic. The service support is also good and much improved. There are a few owners of linea from banglore too here. You can ask them for inputs. This is the most VFM car available at the moment with loads of features. Only thing is that the resale might look awful at moment but according to last month sales fiat has sold 1400 cars and since it is the top end variant in due course of time resale will definitely pick up. Who knows you might even make up your mind not to sell the car seeing its features.
Old 25th May 2009, 16:09   #10
BHPian

Go for Linea

Linea is a damn good car.
It is THE BEST VFM package price, features, looks, build-wise.

Only sore points, from general perception, are its a little underpowered and uncertain ***.
Let me comment on both above points, since I own a Linea.

The power is adequate (though i would have liked a 100-110bhp engine)
The *** has been pretty good till now. They promptly attended to all issues that I had.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Both Linea and Aveo will give you worries in case you'l need to sell them in two years time. If resale is an issue stick to the maruti stable. I think the dezire/sx4 should do the job.

But the earlier two are the most under rated cars that gives you a lot more Value for Money. Another choice would be the Fiesta S for its sheer performance of the 1.6 petrol.
Old 25th May 2009, 20:22   #12
BHPian

Go for the Fiesta . Its a no brainer . It will be a welcome change from the Indica as it is driver focused .You might get big discounts too . Aveo resale is something I am not sure about and Linea seems to be underpowered . If resale value is big in your mind then SX 4 lower models OR Dzire top models should be a good bet .
Old 25th May 2009, 21:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

I would also say Linea. The Aveo now looks dated. I was never a good looker anyway. Nothing spectacular about the engine too.
Old 25th May 2009, 23:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I would also say Linea. The Aveo now looks dated. I was never a good looker anyway. Nothing spectacular about the engine too.
Looks wise, Linea is a notch above Aveo. It gives D segment a run for its money, for sure!
However i personally like Aveo's styling as well. Today i test drove Linea (Diesel) Emotion (- pack). Like many have reported earlier, i felt it a bit underpowered especially on lower RPM's. Pickup was definitely sedate. This is more pronounced on speed-breakers with the car in second gear....it just refuses to pickup. Although the Mid range is good.
Its not like i've been driving a rocket, but a marked difference from its fixed geometry siblings around.

What i liked about Linea -

+ Styling
+ Ride comfort
+ Rear bench big enough to accommodate 3 average sized passengers. Middle
seat (where handrest folds) has seating comfort (unlike SX4). Leg room
good, head room - decent.
+ Big boot
+ Gizmos of course
+ 15,000 KMs service interval

What i felt was lacking
- Tad underpowered
- Lower GC
- Quality of plastics inside

The Prerana (Bangalore) guy told me that there are not much discounts on the variants, except for the "Active" variant (around 10,000).

Anyways, tomorrow i am having TD of Linea Petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
Go for the Fiesta . Its a no brainer . It will be a welcome change from the Indica as it is driver focused .You might get big discounts too . Aveo resale is something I am not sure about and Linea seems to be underpowered . If resale value is big in your mind then SX 4 lower models OR Dzire top models should be a good bet .
Fiesta - I am not comfortable on FE and maintenance costs, although a great drivers car and quality interiors.
SX4 - Have not done TD. Have to go for ZXI variant, which is not the range i am looking at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Both Linea and Aveo will give you worries in case you'l need to sell them in two years time. If resale is an issue stick to the maruti stable. I think the dezire/sx4 should do the job.

But the earlier two are the most under rated cars that gives you a lot more Value for Money. Another choice would be the Fiesta S for its sheer performance of the 1.6 petrol.
Completely agree. Did a test drive for Aveo Limited edition as well.

What i liked
+ Fully loaded - Integrated Clarion audio, 6 speakers, Leather seats, Chrome finish, Better quality of plastics, Alloys.
+ High GC
+ Decent pickup and performance
+ Silent cabin
+ More color options - especially Cashmere

What i didnt like
- Bumpy ride
- Rear bench not meant for 3 people. Middle seating not so comfortable. (i guess it is meant for 2 people only)
- Rear legroom, when from seats are pulled to the end.
- Gearbox not that smooth (this was a 2008 model, dont know if they changed the gearbox in 2009 models!)

TVS sundaram guy says that he can give me the best deal for 2008 model, which he has in stock. He says that there is no differnce between 2008 and 09 models. But i am wary. For 2009 model as well he has lot of goodies to offer (~20-30,000 cash discount on ex-showroom)

I know i am comparing apples to oranges, but tomorrow this would be clear with Linea (P) TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Linea is a damn good car.
It is THE BEST VFM package price, features, looks, build-wise.

Only sore points, from general perception, are its a little underpowered and uncertain ***.
Let me comment on both above points, since I own a Linea.

The power is adequate (though i would have liked a 100-110bhp engine)
The *** has been pretty good till now. They promptly attended to all issues that I had.
Doing a TD on Linea (P) tomorrow.
Old 26th May 2009, 09:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysurfs View Post
Today i test drove Linea (Diesel) Emotion (- pack). Like many have reported earlier, i felt it a bit underpowered especially on lower RPM's. Pickup was definitely sedate. This is more pronounced on speed-breakers with the car in second gear....it just refuses to pickup. Although the Mid range is good.
Its not like i've been driving a rocket, but a marked difference from its fixed geometry siblings around.
This can easily be rectified by adding a Pete's Box. That is of course if you want really drive. Otherwise the stock power is adequate.

Most Viewed