Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 09:44   #1
BANNED

Cheap Weekend Car

Hi. I currently drive a Swift VDi. I bought this car as I do extensive driving for my work and require the economy of a Diesel. The Swift was the best option then. I've just completed a Lakh km on it. I'm not selling it just now but I'm looking for a fun to drive car for weekends. The car has to be a petrol (sedan or hatch), second hand and cheap.
I have shortlisted
-Baleno
-Ikon 1.6
-Palio GTX
-Honda City
Any suggestions?
The car will be used only on weekends. No mods planned. Maybe later so I'd like to keep that option open. Are there any other car which may suit the requirement. Lastly I would not like to exceed a budget of 1.5 Lakh. Please don't suggest a Swift Petrol.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:14   #2
BHPian

Just for fun and weekends? Id vote for the Ikon. Honda city if its the VTEC you are talking about.

but seriously, you wont get a decent condition car - even your weekends would be spent in the garage and the overall budget will be forgotten far behind by the time you get them in a fun drivable condition.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Hi. I currently drive a Swift VDi. I bought this car as I do extensive driving for my work and require the economy of a Diesel. The Swift was the best option then. I've just completed a Lakh km on it. I'm not selling it just now but I'm looking for a fun to drive car for weekends. The car has to be a petrol (sedan or hatch), second hand and cheap.
I have shortlisted
-Baleno
-Ikon 1.6
-Palio GTX
-Honda City
Any suggestions?
The car will be used only on weekends. No mods planned. Maybe later so I'd like to keep that option open. Are there any other car which may suit the requirement. Lastly I would not like to exceed a budget of 1.5 Lakh. Please don't suggest a Swift Petrol.
Why not an Esteem, Very nice car fits your budget well.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:25   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Why not an Esteem, Very nice car fits your budget well.
Oh that's a good option. Also consider an E-Zen.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:35   #5
BHPian

Why don't you add a Pete's or a Race Dynamics ECU and a CAI to your VDi ?

That won't turn it into a free revving petrol mill but should definitely up the fun factor for driving your VDi in a big way.

The RD ECU also allows you to switch between power and economy modes easily.

And the costs should be a fraction of the 1.5L that you plan to spend on your "weekend" car. Read - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/access...cu-diesel.html

Last edited by CrackedHead : 15th July 2009 at 10:37.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:48   #6
BHPian

Rule out the Palio. If its weekends you possibly need a boot. also you already have a Hatch.
City 1.5 L +1 to existing comment. you need to spend atleast 2.5L to get a decent one.
Baleno great for weekend drives but for tinny plastics and the rattles same reasons would be rule out Esteem.

Ikon 1.6 now, its cheap to get in second hand is a better handler than the fiesta 1.6, so more fun to tap into, slightly higher cost to maintain but shouldn't be too much of a concern if you carefully choose one.

Splurge a little more and get a Cedia elegance model out of production and it looses its resale faster in the first few years so should be cheaper for the firsr batch cars that would be about 4 years now. yes you will need to spend a bit more but you may change your mind on driving it only on the weekend once you get used to it.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Any suggestions?
If you need power & ride quality of Palio GTX and Boot for luggage, you could look out for Adventure ( boot = 930 lit) or Petra ( Boot =500 Litres). moreover, rear seats are fully fodable giving more space if required.Both these cars are too good for highways and are pleasure to drive.

Last edited by greatDrive : 15th July 2009 at 10:58.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:57   #8
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Have you considered a Jeep or a Gypsy?
I couldn't think of a better drive on weekends in Goa. How I love it!

If you are inclined to hatch/sedan, not all the choices will come in your budget in pristine condition. You need to shell out a bit. And if you stretch your budget a little bit, a V-tec it is.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

aah, weekend car cannot be cheap at all, you don't want to screw your weekend, right?

Out of what you shortlisted, I suggest go for City.

But I still insist no cheap sheap car for weekend.

Better look for an options which can workout as weekend as well as weekday car

Last edited by rkbharat : 15th July 2009 at 10:59.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:00   #10
Team-BHP Support

Live to Jive: Before anything else, please put up a detailed ownership experience of a 100,000 km run Swift Diesel.

Baaki baatein baad main
Old 15th July 2009, 11:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Palio 1.6 or Petra

Eddaay: You want the ownership experience of someone who completed 1.4L around February itself? ping me!
Old 15th July 2009, 11:13   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

For a budget of 1.5L your best bet would be a zen with a bigger engine or an esteem.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:55   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Why don't you add a Pete's or a Race Dynamics ECU and a CAI to your VDi ?
I drive the VDi everyday. Need something different for weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
Rule out the Palio. If its weekends you possibly need a boot. also you already have a Hatch.
City 1.5 L +1 to existing comment. you need to spend atleast 2.5L to get a decent one.
Baleno great for weekend drives but for tinny plastics and the rattles same reasons would be rule out Esteem.

Ikon 1.6 now, its cheap to get in second hand is a better handler than the fiesta 1.6, so more fun to tap into, slightly higher cost to maintain but shouldn't be too much of a concern if you carefully choose one.

Splurge a little more and get a Cedia elegance model out of production and it looses its resale faster in the first few years so should be cheaper for the firsr batch cars that would be about 4 years now. yes you will need to spend a bit more but you may change your mind on driving it only on the weekend once you get used to it.
Don't really need a boot as I won't be carrying any luggage. Haven't seen any Cedia's in the market. I don't mind upping the budget for a decent car. 1.5 Lakhs was for just the car. I'm prepared to spend some more to do it up or else buy a better car itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Have you considered a Jeep or a Gypsy?
I couldn't think of a better drive on weekends in Goa. How I love it!
If you are inclined to hatch/sedan, not all the choices will come in your budget in pristine condition. You need to shell out a bit. And if you stretch your budget a little bit, a V-tec it is.
Already have a MM540.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
For a budget of 1.5L your best bet would be a zen with a bigger engine or an esteem.
Was reading the threads. Need to find someone who can do this job for me in Goa.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

My take would be Esteem or old-Baleno,i don't think you can find Honda in this price bracket.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Esteem, E-Zen or Palio/ Sienna 1.6.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed