Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 18:51   #1
BHPian

And the winner is.. the Linea!!

Ok, did some extensive test driving last weekend. Tried out the Safari, Punto, Linea and the i20.

Here are my first impressions.

Punto: Build quality is good, Ride quality is good. Engine, no doubt, is good. Fit and finish sucks. Broad panel gaps and ugly glue visible at places. I was relieved that I didn’t see fingerprints on the glue. Rear leg room is lesser than the palio. Overall, its not an upgrade at all from the palio, when it comes to comfort.

Safari: This is a joke. It handles like a whale, the steering is just to point it to the general direction. The safari will then decide whether to go for it or not. Fit and finish and quality feels distinctly chinese. Ergonomics are pathetic. The gear lever seems to be more accessible to the co-passenger, and not the driver. However ride quality is fantabulous. Glides over potholes where the punto/linea/i20 had distinct judders.

I20: Loved the car. The way it pulls when the turbo wakes up is something to be experienced. Fit and finish is great. Good boot space. Loads of goodies in the car. Rear leg space better than palio/punto. This is one lovely car. Only downside is the price. It comes to @7.92L which me feels, is a little overpriced.

Linea: Much better build quality, rear leg room better than the punto/palio(obviously). Handling is precise. Ride quality good. Interiors are good too. The boot is actually a cave. Price is 8.06L, so overall, Linea wins. Will probably book the Linea Dyanamic Pack, Diesel soon.
Old 16th July 2009, 22:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congrats @ihrishi on your booking. Let us know the everything till the point you get your delivery. And yes we appreciate photos very much.
And in case you are wondering why no one has replied to your post for so long, pssst..Safari and Palios are everyone's darling around here. Just kidding mate.
Enjoy your stay.
Old 16th July 2009, 23:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Linea is a nice choice to upgrade from a Palio! Congrats!
Old 16th July 2009, 23:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

oye lucky lucky oye

Congrats
Old 16th July 2009, 23:25   #5
BHPian

congrats ihrishi,

But I would suggest you opt for "Emotion" instead of "Dynamic pack". Both are roundabout same price but in Emotion you have lots of goodies like Auto-climate control, leather-wrap steering, rear AC, rear sunblind, armrests etc.
Also interiors are better than dynamic.
Old 16th July 2009, 23:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Its not fair to compare a SUV to sedans especially when talking about the handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oye lucky lucky oye

Congrats
OT:you've been caught singing this song multiple times on the thread,whats the matter?

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th July 2009 at 23:33.
Old 17th July 2009, 00:01   #7
BHPian

Congratulations dude!!! So the italian beauty managed to steal your heart too. Hope its the start of a beautiful friendship
Old 17th July 2009, 00:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

broad panel gaps on a punto? are you sure?
Congrats on your choice!
Old 17th July 2009, 01:19   #9
BHPian

+1 to neotraveller.
Go for the emotion varient.
Old 17th July 2009, 06:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Ok, did some extensive test driving last weekend. Tried out the Safari, Punto, Linea and the i20.

Punto: Build quality is good, Ride quality is good. Engine, no doubt, is good. Fit and finish sucks. Broad panel gaps and ugly glue visible at places. I was relieved that I didn’t see fingerprints on the glue. Rear leg room is lesser than the palio. Overall, its not an upgrade at all from the palio, when it comes to comfort.

Safari: This is a joke. It handles like a whale, the steering is just to point it to the general direction. The safari will then decide whether to go for it or not. Fit and finish and quality feels distinctly chinese. Ergonomics are pathetic. The gear lever seems to be more accessible to the co-passenger, and not the driver. However ride quality is fantabulous. Glides over potholes where the punto/linea/i20 had distinct judders.

I20: Loved the car. The way it pulls when the turbo wakes up is something to be experienced. Fit and finish is great. Good boot space. Loads of goodies in the car. Rear leg space better than palio/punto. This is one lovely car. Only downside is the price. It comes to @7.92L which me feels, is a little overpriced.

Linea: Much better build quality, rear leg room better than the punto/palio(obviously). Handling is precise. Ride quality good. Interiors are good too. The boot is actually a cave. Price is 8.06L, so overall, Linea wins. Will probably book the Linea Dyanamic Pack, Diesel soon.
Are you looking for only Diesels? Why don't you test drive the Scorpio too?
Old 17th July 2009, 10:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

There is only a marginal diff. in the price of both the variants.
you can better go for Emotion.
BTW what color have u selected.
Old 17th July 2009, 11:43   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Congrats @ihrishi on your booking. Let us know the everything till the point you get your delivery. And yes we appreciate photos very much.
And in case you are wondering why no one has replied to your post for so long, pssst..Safari and Palios are everyone's darling around here. Just kidding mate.
Enjoy your stay.

Thanks! The Palio is my darling too! Have been using it for many years now.
Will post the pics, as soon as i get her home!

PS: Have to book the car yet.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:24   #13
BHPian

Congrats. Please let us know of the booking experience. A lot of people have been commenting that the dealership experiences are improving.
Old 17th July 2009, 12:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post

congrats on the Linea.

on the Punto - what is the difference between "good build quality " and " poor fit and finish" ?

i think if u drive the Safari after driving a Palio ( for that matter any decent sedan ) - u wont be impressed with the steering !

how come the Linea has better rear leg room than Punto ? is it due to the seat dimensions or the wheel base is different ?
Old 17th July 2009, 13:11   #15
BHPian

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have been lurking on the site for a long time now, and have learnt a lot.

My brief background - I cut my teeth on dad's Premier padmini, and then the maruti 800. My first car was the Palio 1.3 ELX and am now planning to upgrade to the Linea. Bikes are my first love, and i moved to a Karizma from a Pulsar 180 classic. Have done a few long tours on the bike.

@Ramsagar/@shantyrocks/@neotraveller
Point noted. Looking at the Emotion variant too. Have asked for the invoice for the emotion. Have selected the Red color.

@.anshuman:
I agree its not fair to compare SUV handling with a sedan. The comment was a purely personal view, and one of the reasons why i eliminated the safari from my original list.

@extreme_torque:
Yep. Open the boot and check the place where the bumper plastic is supposed to meet the metal body. It was ugly sharp and had a finger sized gap.

@singh_dfi:
Yes, diesels only. I have been on a petrol diet so far, and have my heart set on a diesel. (Ever since i drove a Pete'd diesel Verna)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks