Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 18:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Sorry to confuse you , but for your running its better to go for diesel. Why not try a decently maintained Accent CRDI. There are a few who complained that its a pain to maintain after 60-75k km. But if you find a sparsely used one , no harm IMO.
Sparsely used CRDi, like 30K??? I doubt I could find that much low run car!!!
And yes, that 75K km mark, I heard a lot of such complaints. I dont want to take that risk, especially when my father is driving the car on the highway and getting stuck.

BTW, accent CRDi is one my dad's favorite car. Few years ago, when he drove it, he was surprised that a diesel car can pull so well.

Other than the NHC, no other car is giving me any confidence that it will be trouble free for a long way to come(at least for another 60K or 70K km).
Old 21st July 2009, 20:25   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
...... out in the market looking for a car with good space and comfortable rear seat(indica spoiled us), good FE, decent boot space.
I am not able to come to a proper conclusion on which car to buy.
Monthly usage:
40Km a day from Monday to Saturday and 250km on weekend. Thats around 2000Km per month.

PS: Please dont suggest Indica Vista, Ikon and the punto(no to tata, ford and fiat) and swift(poor interior space) ........
Anna, why do you not take inspiration from MileCruncher and go in for a Mahindra?

Cheers,

P.S. I certainly hope this thread does not go the way the Yezdi thread did.
Old 21st July 2009, 21:59   #33
BHPian

I have an Accent CRDI 2005 driven over 60K and still running fine. But the Mileage has reduced to 14KMPL with AC in City. Used to get 17-18 KMPL Diesel.

Also it has high maintainance cost compared to the Swift Diesel.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:29   #34
BHPian

Fitting CNG kit will reduce the power of an already underpowered car by around 10%.
it reduces the boot space drastically.
more over it causes engine " missing" which can get irritating.
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

Why Aftermarket CNG is a bad idea

Aftermarket fitting of CNG/LPG kit is not a very good idea because:
  1. Reduces Engine Life - CNG/LPG being dry fuel have no inherent lubrication properties like Petrol or Diesel. Hence the wear and tear of engine components especially cylinder liner, piston rings and pistons is much higher than in a regular petrol / diesel engine. The first casualty is generally the piston ring and AFAIK they don't come cheap for Honda.
  2. Affect on Rubber Components - CNG is highly corrosive to rubber. Hence factory fitted CNG vehicles come special grade hoses.
  3. Missing - CNG/LPG because of the nature of the fuel require a slightly advanced timing than Petrol. Hence your engine will be prone to missing and over heating. Unless a change in ECU programming is done to alter the ignition time there will be regular incidents of missing.
  4. Morning Starting Trouble - This also will be very common especially when it is cold and you will have to start on Petrol, drive 4-5 Kms and then switch to CNG when the water in cooling circuit is the optimum temperature.
  5. Problems with Fuel Pump - MOst after market conversion guys don't put a switch to disconnect the fuel when vehicle is switched to CNG. So at any point of time you need to have decent amount of petrol in the vehicle else you might damage the fuel pump.
Hence I feel that you should go for brand new diesel vehicle rather than plonking CNG into a used NHC. Or go for a WagonR Duo / Santro Eco
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

For ur running Diesl is more suitable bet.
My options would be:
Dizire,Logan,Elantra(used),Indigo,Swift or Getz.

Dzire-Ldi is only 6,07,100/- on road price Hyd.(Though didn't like the boot),but rear-seat in Dzire is completely different of swift.though the width is same,side cushioning & height is different .(Pls check if u want)

Pls don't for CNG/LPG option.U or ur father will be stranded in the highway,or get stuck in the middle of the road during heavy rains.Thats for sure.And need regular maintenance.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 22nd July 2009 at 14:28.
Old 24th July 2009, 00:16   #37
BHPian

Diesel will always be the best option. Its the fuel for "Aam Janta". Its price will never go too high and will have good subsidy for long term too.
Old 12th August 2009, 15:14   #38
Senior - BHPian

Update

Hi everyone,

there is a slight change in plan(may be big one)!!!!

I was considering a 2003 OHC 1.3/ 2002 OHC 1.5 / 2003 Lancer SLXD (limited edition) but Dad is not willing to take NHC/OHC/Lancer for their snob value as he is a Government Employee(he wants to avoid unwanted exposure)!!!

He is currently looking at a Opel Corsa of 2005!!!! . I suggested him Esteem instead, but he is strictly against an Esteem for its ergonomics!!!

Another argument is that, since together we use around 2000km a month, he suggests we can get two cars(one sedan and another one a small car) for the price of one premium car!!!!

There is a 2005 Corsa up for sale, a doctor owned, done 35,000km. The car is recommended by a reliable source. The owner is quoting 2.5L, which I think is over priced. What is the price, I can go for it?? I would like to keep this car for another 3 years.(thats when my father retires!!). The car will be mainly used for around 250km 3 or 4 times in month on the weekends, and some local usage in the city. Thats around 1000 to 1200 km a month. Will this be a good buy?? I am bit worried is about the cost of the spares!!!

EDIT: Can any one please comment on the pedals, are they soft or hard for corsa?? Few weeks ago, dad complained about pain in the right foot. Also two days ago, he was driving our nighbour's octavia tdi, he was feeling discomfort with the clutch pedal. I drove that car, yeah! it was as hard as our 2003 indica which we sold off.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 12th August 2009 at 15:28.
Old 12th August 2009, 22:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

A corsa is not worth a penny. That car should be max a lac. Unreliable, parts are hard to get and generally avoidable. My dad had one which we got rid of a couple of years ago for a pittance.
Old 12th August 2009, 23:34   #40
Senior - BHPian

Opel, whether corsa or astra is generally avoidable as an used car if one is looking for hassle free ownership experience. Few pointers about the corsa
  1. Clutch replacement costs about 18k. ( A friends has 1.4 gsi and he got it done recently)
  2. Normal fluid change with labour and other consumables will set you back by about 4k.
Oh yeah another thing not to forget, the brake and the accelerator pedal are so placed that they tend to foul. I myself have been at the receiving end of that. Clutch pedal position is awkward.

If it was me, I would keep it away with a barge pole, then its your call.

Cheers
Old 12th August 2009, 23:59   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Raj, of all the guys you honed down ( or rather let you father) on a Corsa?

I wouldn't accept it if someone offers it to me free of cost just for the reason that they are white elephants to maintain.

I honestly suggest dont look so wide in your search and narrow it down to 2 cars and finally go for it. My earlier suggestion of a Getz CRDi still holds good if your able to get hold of one.

Else, simply go for a Indigo CS ( Since budget is a constraint) and being a new vehicle should ensure it will be trouble free for years to come and will be appropriate for your high mileage.
Old 13th August 2009, 11:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

hey just saw your pm, no corsa raj anna.
parts sourcing is a very very big nightmare.

my suggestion would still be a new car bro: either a swift diesel/palio diesel/punto diesel.
also why not a wagonr lpg ya? a very good car to drive and tall enough for your height. company fitted lpg+maruti= no issues.

Quote:
Else, simply go for a Indigo CS ( Since budget is a constraint) and being a new vehicle should ensure it will be trouble free for years to come and will be appropriate for your high mileage.
yup, this also is a good option. but raj isnt keen on another tata i believe. thats what he had told when i suggest him a new indica/vista/indigo.

Last edited by aadix : 13th August 2009 at 11:28.
Old 14th August 2009, 00:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

On Corsas

The Corsa 1.6 is an awesome car. Lots of power under the hood and impeccable road manners. The car is built like a tank. The car is a joy to drive and is understated. It is one of the most under-rated cars in India. I owned one of these and totally loved the car.

If the owner is quoting 2.5L, pinch him and ask him to wake up! Time to stop dreaming, you can get at least 2 Corsas for that amount of money. The Corsa 1.6 gives upto 12 Kmpl FE and I have heard owners complain that it gives them much less (one reason is that the NVH levels are so low that they do not shift up in time). Interestingly 1.4s are reputed to give less mileage than the 1.6.

The only decent authorised service guy in Hyd. for the Opels is Orange Auto. Parts are scarce but GM sends them out to the dealer on indents. Parts have now become expensive.

The only direction Corsa prices are heading are southward - so be prepared to give away the car after the 3 years time that you are talking about.

I agree with Mobike, you should look at one or two cars. Remember that though you might be able to fit a larger car in your budget by buying an older car, these larger (older) cars often cost more to maintain, just buying a car is not enough you should have it up and running and factor in maintainance costs (and effort) too. Your pre-conditions of no X, no Y, no Z means that you have cut yourself off from a major chunk of the products available. Perhaps, it is time for a reality check. Check out the Vista, check out the Fusion, check out the GP, check out the i20. For your running, I would recommend a Diesel engine. Most owners tend to thrash Diesel engines so buying a new one makes sense unless you get a pristine example from a trustworthy source.

Cheers,
Old 21st September 2009, 17:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Update

Finally after two months of search for a sedan after selling off our 2003 Indica DLS,(actually it was not 2 months worth of search, as there were 3 good neighbours who were willing to lend their cars, so sought of became lazy!!! ) we finally bought home a 2006 Accent CRDi.

Used NHC or any other used sedan? EDIT: Bought 2006 Accent CRDi.-img_8360.jpg

Aesthetically i would rate the car 9 on 10.

Mechanically i would rate the car 8 on 10. It scored less in the mechanical department after comparing with two of the team-bhpians who own accent viva crdi here in Hyderabad.
Old 21st September 2009, 17:13   #45
Team-BHP Support

Congrats. The car looks really good.

Most Viewed