Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 10:43   #1
BHPian

Plz help !!! my Heart Says -> Elantra, Head Says -> Lancer

Finally I have shortlisted the following 2 cars

2003 Lancer GLXi 80K KM, ~3L
2004 Elantra GLS 55K KM, ~5L

I should be able to negotiate a bit on the price, but I am considering the above as the final price, as both the cars will need some basic expenses ~20K. Insurance has almost run out so will need renewal on both the cars.

As I mentioned on some other thread of mine, that I am looking for a car for around 1 year, and need to sell that off so I am in a fix which one to choose from.

My HEAD says, go for Lancer, as the initial cost of ownership is less, and perhaps it will be easy to sell it later as compared to Elantra. The main downside of the car is 80K on the odo and cosmetically, it is not as good as Elantra. Some scratches here and there (kinda normal for a 6 yr old car).

My HEART says, go for Elantra, the main reason is the numerous safety features like ABS, Airbags, TCS, other equipment level and 55K KM as compred to 80K on Lancer. However, the downside is FE and perhaps trouble in reselling after a year?

I am expecting to drive the car around 1K KM per month, not much. Most of the driving is going to be in the city (home-office and some weekend shopping etc.). As my wife is expecting so don't think, I will be going much on the highway drives expect for a few Sunday morning fun drives, if wifey has a craving for that :-) ..

Could you guys please help me in deciding the car.

TIA
VM
Old 26th July 2009, 13:14   #2
BHPian

People may have question that if I am driving mostly in the city, why I am not looking for a hatchback.. I would say, just a personal preference.. I have used Santro, Wagon R, Palio in past.. this time want to have a sedan.. perhaps not for practical reasons, but a personal preference.. that is why I have not considered any hatchbacks so far....
Old 26th July 2009, 20:19   #3
BHPian

Why not the Elantra CRDi? Excellent car to own - pls go thru some of the ownership reviews, which will be of great help
Old 26th July 2009, 20:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

You can get a 2004 elantra crdi for that price,elantra gls has nothing so special about it try for a first gen accord instead.
Old 26th July 2009, 20:46   #5
BHPian

mittal v,

We recently brought 2006 elentra crdi top end with the same features you mentioned earlier having 42k on odo for 5.8 L, the car has no scratches whatsoever. Its an amazing car. I strongly recommend that. But , for a person driving 1k km / month, to own this car is debatable. But the quotes you have got that is 3 and 5 L for phased out vehicles is rediculous.

If you are particular about a petrol and a sedan, then consider accent, dezire or Esteem. You would be easily able to find them healthy. No for a 6 yr old car.
Old 26th July 2009, 23:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittal_v2002 View Post
this time want to have a sedan.. perhaps not for practical reasons, but a personal preference..
How about a 2006 Mitsubishi cedia for 5-5.5lac....yes.. one of our team mates Joseph (better known as d_Payne) bought a 2006 cedia in pune for 5.5lacs and this includes new tyres, revesing camera and upgraded audio system.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-4.html

I myself got a 2007 Cedia here in Delhi for 5lacs.. I know its hard to find Cedia but still theres no harm trying. However, just like Elantra it will be hard to sell the car after a few years..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...i-cedia-3.html

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 26th July 2009 at 23:06.
Old 27th July 2009, 00:09   #7
BHPian

Elantra is a bit overpriced. Negotiate hard and try to confrim that mileage of 55K is genuine.
Old 27th July 2009, 10:38   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
mittal v,

We recently brought 2006 elentra crdi top end with the same features you mentioned earlier having 42k on odo for 5.8 L,
Could you fill me in with some initial ownership details - also would be helpful to know of service costs and spares availability. I'm planning to start looking out for one later this yr
Old 27th July 2009, 11:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Elantra is a bit overpriced. Negotiate hard and try to confrim that mileage of 55K is genuine.
I will be negotiating on the price definitly. I have cross checked with the Hyundai dealer/service centre here for the mileage. All the service record shows that the mileage is genuine.

More over, the car is actually Dec/2004 make and was registered in Jan 2005, and I am buying it through a dealer. The car is in absolute mint condition. Looks nicely maintained. so I am taking the price clue from carwale and it shows the following price bands.

Dec/2005, 55K KM, GLS, Hyderabad
Individual: 4.65L (Good) 4.85L(Excellent)
Dealer: 4.75L (Good), 5.05L (Excellent).

So dealer is perhaps asking the price for an Excellent car. I will try to bring him down to 4.75 or less. Lets see. Does it still makes it overpriced.. Sorry, I don't have much clue.. are there any other places where I can get any idea of the fair valuation of the car ?

Quote:
How about a 2006 Mitsubishi cedia for 5-5.5lac.
Did not come across any Cedia. Also personally, I like the styling of Lancer more than Cedia. :-)
Quote:
I myself got a 2007 Cedia here in Delhi for 5lacs.. I know its hard to find Cedia but still theres no harm trying. However, just like Elantra it will be hard to sell the car after a few years..
I think you got a pretty good deal. I too think that it will be hard to sell the Elantra after some time, but let me see, if I can convience my dad that time to keep Elantra and sell his Wagon R .. heheheheee...

Quote:
Why not the Elantra CRDi? Excellent car to own - pls go thru some of the ownership reviews, which will be of great help.
I have not TD the CRDi version, but had some fantastic reviewes from the forum. I was searching for one but could not find any CRDi in the used car market in Hyderabad so far. I can not wait anymore, so finalized on the Petrol version.
Quote:
If you are particular about a petrol and a sedan, then consider accent, dezire or Esteem. You would be easily able to find them healthy. No for a 6 yr old car.
Actually, I am more particualr about a C+ segment car :-) so Accent, Dezire, Esteem are ruled out. Infact started with searching for some Accent CRDi, but no luck. Considered SX4, Fiesta, and NHC, but did not find a decent (read upto my expectatons) car in used car market. Elantra, gave a kinda Luxury feel from inside. and somehow, I have started liking that nose job (that looked very awkward initially) as well...

Will update about this further, but I think it is going to be Elantra and not Lancer...

Cheers
VM
Old 27th July 2009, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned in earlier post,5L is the cost of Elantra CDRi not the petrol one.
so bargain hard to get it around 4.5L.No doubt its a brilliant vehicle.congrats.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Finally I have shortlisted the following 2 cars

To begin with, both cars are over-priced by ~ 1 Lakh. Touch base with multiple dealers and you would know. Petrol Elantra is a dud in used car market, so bargain hard on that one

Quote:
I have not TD the CRDi version, but had some fantastic reviewes from the forum. I was searching for one but could not find any CRDi in the used car market in Hyderabad so far.
Hyderabad is a Diesel country. CRDIs would cost you much more.

Quote:
Actually, I am more particualr about a C+ segment car :-)
Ok, here is the standard TBHP advise. Why not Baleno? It is similar sized compared to Lancer and it has many more pluses. Looks definitely not one of those though.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

My friend got an elantra for 4.5 L (69K run) 2005 Model (TN reg).
I drove that car. Everything looked good, except for the hard clutch.
I suggested him to check it.
Later on he came to me with a replaced clutch assembly for his car and a bill of 27500 INR. So consider the maintenance part also before you take a plunge.
And yes, he went to the Hyundai A.S.S.
Old 27th July 2009, 15:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Hyderabad is a Diesel country.
That is why people don't seem to part away with their CRDi's :(( ...No luck so far.. still searching for a CRDi if I can find before I close the deal on GLS.

Quote:
Ok, here is the standard TBHP advise. Why not Baleno? It is similar sized compared to Lancer and it has many more pluses. Looks definitely not one of those though.
I considered baleno, but the interiors etc and looks (definitly) put me away.. :( .. Agree this is a great machine to drive....
Old 27th July 2009, 16:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
To begin with, both cars are over-priced by ~ 1 Lakh. Touch base with multiple dealers and you would know. Petrol Elantra is a dud in used car market, so bargain hard on that one
Actually yes and no both.
Depends on where you are buying it from.
From my experience purely, a lancer in Pune
will demand much less than a Lancer in BLR.
We have an example right here in the marketplace section.
Yesterday, I had a look at a 2001 GLXi (89K kms). The dealer was not budging from 2.25 from the initially quoted 2.5 L.
In Pune, you can get a 2004 Lancer 59K kms done for 2.3 L.
(I asked a dealer for this car.)
Old 28th July 2009, 10:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Actually yes and no both.
Depends on where you are buying it from.
I am buying it in Hyderabad. The approx price on carwale are as follows

Lancer, 1.5GLXi, Apr 2003, 80K, Good condition
---------------------------------------------
Individual: 2.70, Dealer:2.75

Individual: 2.69, Dealer:2.75

But in Gurgaon the price is less (perhaps due to less Road Tax in Haryana).
Individual: 2.46, Dealer:2.51

Elantra GLS, Dec 2004, 55K, Good Condition
------------------------------------------
Individual: 4.65, Dealer:4.75

Individual: 4.38, Dealer:4.47

Individual: 4.07, Dealer:4.16

Are the prices quoted (3L for Lancer, 5L for Elantra) really 1L more than these should be in Hyderabad ? To me it seems 25 to 50K inflated and that is but natural. The seller would have inflated the price to have some buffer for negotiations.

Let me see, how much can I bargain today. Almost decided for Elantra.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks