Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2009, 19:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The suspension geometry is different from teh normal Fiesta. I read somewhere that for the 1.6 S Ford has borrowed the Suspension from the 1.6 Zetec S sold in Europe. So you may not be able to find it in the replacement market as easily as the normal Fiesta spares are available. Also remember the 1.6 S tyres are not shared by any other car in the market at present.
that doesn't sound like good news. this means I will have to depend on the spares from Ford A.S.S. and if the car is discontinued (i expect this, next year) then getting these parts will be really expensive.
I shall speak to the service executives in Bhavna Ford on Monday. If this is the case, then I think the case for the Z becomes stronger!

Quote:
Purchasing the 1.6S is more of a decision of the heart than by the mind. Well if its going to a be family car then you better go for the ZXI but you want a car thats sporty in performance as wel, then 1.6 S is the way to go.

P.S: I would still go with the 1.6S.
PPS: I at one point was seriously considering buying it and wifey also liked it, but then was brought back to reality. I still aspire to own one may be with a slightly powerful heart
The Zxi is also very sporty in performance. In fact I found the handling very very good. The Z had the softer suspension too.
I really AM confused. It's a different story this time. The heart says the Zxi since I get to do the mix and match, but the S looks more logical since I dont have to purchase accessories and have them fitted!

Hmmmmmppppphh!
Old 1st August 2009, 20:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Did you test drive the S yourself? I'm getting a feeling you THINK the suspension is extremely hard compared to the normal ZXi. But it isn't. It is just enough to make a difference.

And re: parts, how often do you have to replace suspension parts? As long as you don't get involved in crashes or violent dates with potholes, you should be fine for tens of thousands of kilometers. The base suspension geometry cannot be different - that would entail a lot of changes in the chassis and make it too different from the ZXi for Ford to produce economically. I believe it is a stiffer damper and spring setup with some tuning. jerrish would be the right person to ask, since he replaced those with Bilsteins.

As for the ECU changes, I think jerrish said it revs more freely and there is more torque at hand with a comparable reduction in FE.

I believe you can install those rear headrests if you want in the S.
ImmortalZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2009, 21:01   #18
BHPian

Technically
1.6s, contains a

1) Re-mapped ECU
2) Improved steering rack
3) Stiffenned suspension

All other cosmetic changes are listed.

I would go with the 1.6 S for sure. Anyday better than the ZXI.

Other options for the ZXi
- Pete's re-map which would take the power output to 130 BHP
- Bilestien shocks
- Aftermarket 15 inch alloys

.. Thinking of these, might as well go with the 1.6 S
Old 1st August 2009, 23:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

The reason to buy the S over the ZXi is the steering rack which has much more feel. It feels very planted on the ground and due to the stiffer shocks, the body roll is considerably less.
Old 1st August 2009, 23:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
that doesn't sound like good news. this means I will have to depend on the spares from Ford A.S.S. and if the car is discontinued (i expect this, next year) then getting these parts will be really expensive.
I shall speak to the service executives in Bhavna Ford on Monday. If this is the case, then I think the case for the Z becomes stronger!

The Zxi is also very sporty in performance. In fact I found the handling very very good. The Z had the softer suspension too.
I really AM confused. It's a different story this time. The heart says the Zxi since I get to do the mix and match, but the S looks more logical since I dont have to purchase accessories and have them fitted!

Hmmmmmppppphh!
Hi Frank,

I was chatting with somebody from the Ford dealer here a few weeks ago and he said that the only mechanical difference between the Z and the S was the wheels and tyres. I do not know how knowledgable he really is, so best to check with a service advisor/manager or the stores chap in a Ford A.S.C.

Knowing how you enjoy speed, I would suggest you go for the S as it does move and handle much better than the Z.

Cheers,
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Even I feel the only reason for the bumpy ride and skittish steering is the tyres, and there are no changes in suspension. If Ford were to include the uprated shocks and dampers, they wouldve surely advertised em. Lets see what everyone has to say about this!
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

PM jerrish. You'll get all the info for the S you want.
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:52   #23
BHPian

I thought you wanted the S? The S has a stiffer suspension than the Zxi, its not just the wheels.
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Even I feel the only reason for the bumpy ride and skittish steering is the tyres, and there are no changes in suspension. If Ford were to include the uprated shocks and dampers, they wouldve surely advertised em. Lets see what everyone has to say about this!

Suggest you to test drive both the S and Zxi one after the other. You can find how different the S is from the rest of the fiestas. It's not just the wheels the suspenson is different for sure. And not all accessories of the fiesta S are available at the dealers (Spoiler, Skirts). And also mind that you would be losing out warranty/insurance with some of the mods to Zxi. The Zxi is not a bad handler, it's just the S is better than the Zxi.

Except for the aquaris blue and white, I found the rest of the colours not so catchy, the on road presence is not that much with the rest. So if ICE is a main priority, you want less on-road presence and a comfy ride the ZXI is a good choice. If you want a good handler at high speeds with of the shelf head turning features and want to take corners like a maniac the S would certainly help.
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks
- Pete's re-map which would take the power output to 130 BHP
Almost 30% more power from a petrol NA by just a remap?
How?
Old 2nd August 2009, 11:57   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Is it the same suspension with the same components and ONLY uprated springs?? Or have they used some other different components too? I would like to ask, since I am looking at it from a servicing and replacement point of view. If they are expensive to replace, or difficult to source, then it would be a sorry scene. Anyways, Ford spares are rare to find and more expensive than cars in its own segment. Please tell me about the ECU changes if you have an idea about it.
Don't have any info on the suspension and ECU. Just heard that it's different. In cas the model is discontinued and you can't find spares for the suspension when it comes up for replacement, you can revert to the normal ZXI one or some aftermarket one.

Quote:

Last edited by Live To Jive : 2nd August 2009 at 11:59.
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the bit on the suspension and the ecu. I like the white and black and love the aquarius but I'm sure no one at home will appreciate that colour.

I know this is a long shot. But how long is it going to be, before this platform goes out of the window and ford replaces it with an all new Fiesta? I don't want to open my newspaper this year and rue buying a Fiesta 2-3 months before the new one comes out, what say??
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Unknown. If you keep waiting, you'll never buy a car. Ford just refreshed the car, so it is doubtful if they'll pull it very soon.
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

Photoshop requests:

1. A WHITE S with Black alloy wheels? deep dish please!

2. A BLACK S with the Chrome Grille from the NEW SXi premium.

SOMEONE please help me make my decision soon. The PS'ed images will help a lot.

Thanks in advance!
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

My vote for the white

1) better with climate
2) rare
3) black and the maroon will look the same from a distance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks