Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 13:30   #1
BHPian

Car exchange advice. Octavia v/s OHc

Here's an interesting proposition. A family member will be leaving the country soon and has very graciously offered to give me his 2002 November Diesel Octavia ( Well mantained with 50k Kms on the clock) .

Just to ensure that its not a favour or that I'm not obligated in any way, I offered to sell my OHC 4AT with 70k Kms on the clock (Jan 2001) and give him the proceeds. To which he agreed. He even offered to take the proceeds of my 2001 Zen Lx but that would be too much of a favour.

The ball is in my court. Does the forum think that its a good decision. Please note that the OHC is working brilliantly. But it gives me a chance ( At no extra cost) to sort of upgrade to a better car with less mileage and better rupee per kilometre cost.
Old 4th August 2009, 13:39   #2
BANNED

You will still be at an advantage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Highness View Post

The ball is in my court. Does the forum think that its a good decision. Please note that the OHC is working brilliantly. But it gives me a chance ( At no extra cost) to sort of upgrade to a better car with less mileage and better rupee per kilometre cost.
The Octy is more valuable than your City as it is newer, is a more expensive car, runs diesel and is equally well maintained.
Even if you give him the proceeds of the City, you will be at a greater advantage than him/her.

But yes, I do envy your relatives....
Old 4th August 2009, 13:40   #3
BHPian

I have heard that OHC with the Auto tannary gives trouble after 100k mark, keeping this in mind, I would suggest go for the deal.
Old 4th August 2009, 13:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

It would make more sense to sell the OHC + ZEN and get yourself a brand new car.

Shan2nu
Old 4th August 2009, 14:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Octy after 60K may well turn out to be a white elephant.
You may have to sift through lots of pages on this site to gauge that, but I came to that conclusion while checking out reviews for getting myself a used car.

OHC, on the other hand - I've yet to come to any review which highlights its "white elephant status" after xxx Kms.
(Not much idea about Automatics though)
Old 4th August 2009, 14:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
you will be at a greater advantage than him/her.

But yes, I do envy your relatives....
Yes, They know that for sure. But luckily he is in a place in his career wherein he doesnt really consider it worth his while to haggle with dealers etc. He was more than willing to "gift" me his car , but like I said, it would be a favour that I dont want to take upon myself to repay one day.

You should envy my relatives, because they have relatives ( me) that are more than willing to take a freebie off them If anything, you should envy me
Old 4th August 2009, 14:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It would make more sense to sell the OHC + ZEN and get yourself a brand new car.

Shan2nu
Yeah, but it would be a really small car. OHC + Zen would not get more than 3-3.5 Lakhs.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, but it would be a really small car. OHC + Zen would not get more than 3-3.5 Lakhs.
Or what you can do is. Sell the OHC, get the Skoda.

Then sell the Skoda + Zen (which should fetch you more than 3.5L). Use this as down payment and get yourself a brand new car with zero miles, warranty and better resale value.

Coz even if you keep the Skoda, how much do you think you'l get when you sell it a few years from now? Its already 7 years and 50,000 kms old. Add to that the 2nd owner tag and it just doesn't work out.

Shan2nu
Old 5th August 2009, 11:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you should do it. The Octavia is fun to drive and a lot more comfortable than the OHC. It also has better quality.
I doubt there would be any major problems after 60Kkm, as the Octavia Ambiente has a very basic TDi engine and few electronics. Most of the problems are with the higher variants, and newer models. However, do get the car checked out once before you buy it.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:19   #10
evo
BHPian

Octy diesel at 50k is still a brilliant car. A brilliant car with very very bad service. If you can live with the service then go for it!

On a lighter note, you could always sell your Zen to satiate Skoda`s service cost hunger!
Old 6th March 2010, 14:35   #11
BHPian

Got the Skoda and got rid of the Zen

hey everyone,
after a lot of deliberation I have gotten rid of the Zen and taken the Skoda.

So the stable now stands as follows:

OHC Auto
Skoda Octavia
Chevrolet Optra

The OHC is used by my wife ( Since its Auto, she prefers it )
I use the Skoda as my daily commuter ( From Bandra to Chowpatty Daily)
The Optra stands there as a back up.

The Skdoda is very cheap on fuel. I get a mileage of around 15 kmpl in the city ( Diesel) which is roughly Rs.3000 /month, as compared to the Honda or Optra which cost me at least Rs.7500/Month

I did have a couple of issues in the last few months though. My Axle bolts broke in the first month and also the clutch pedal. But both have been fixed and its running fine now. lets hope that the car does not give me any more problems.

here's a link to my post on my dilema of the exchange.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...a-v-s-ohc.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks