Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 00:45   #16
Team-BHP Support

Since he's being chauffeur driven and considering the bad roads, the Innova would be his best bet. If he wants a sedan, I think the Chevy Optra Magnum is a brilliant option. Fantastic package, powerful, comes with a good warranty package too (resale may be suspect but if he's holding on to the car long enough that should be less of an issue).

Chevy Cruze will certainly be beyond a 13 L budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
A friend needs a new car.It HAS to be a diesel.Its gonna be chauffeur driven.Will be driven on horribilly bad sections and highway,about 80km daily. More inclined towards a sedan.
Comfort and cost the criteria.
Budget is about 13 lacs for a company owned car (higher taxes)
ty
Old 17th August 2009, 00:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

Linea 1.6 MJD

Is this definitive info? Any idea what the BHP will be like on the 1.6? I have a friend who's really keen on the diesel Linea but is hesitant because he finds the current 1.3 mill underpowered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Why not wait for a more powerful Linea- 1.6 MJD expected latest by early 2010.
Old 17th August 2009, 08:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
1) What makes you think Linea's rear seat is not comfortable?
The low head-room? There's enough headroom for average Indians (lower than 6ft). IMO, with the better suspension of Fiat I would expect the back seat to be better than Optra (I haven't sat in an Optra BTW).

2) And isn't Cruze the next-gen optra? It will be in that 11-13lac bracket only.
1) Overall, the space in Optra rear seats is more than Linea. I have sat in both the car and can tell you that Optra is certainly more spacious inside the passenger cabin than Linea.
About ride quality, I havent experienced for a long time, but Optra is again good, though not like Linea.
About headroom, it feels cramped even for a 5'10" person in Linea.

2) Of course its next gen Optra, but then isn't i10 the new Santro ? The list if long for two generations of one car being sold simultaneously in India.
It will start at Rs. 13 lakh. I suppose that Rs. 13 lakh is base price for petrol and diesel will obviously be more expensive than petrol.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1415386-post121.html
Old 17th August 2009, 08:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

If it is possible to wait I would wait for Fiat Bravia which will be priced in the similar range. SX4 is also coming with a Diesel version and will be cheaper with a better A.S.S. which can also be an option.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:07   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Linea is a nice car yes. However, it is badly under-powered for its weight according to me. And when I sit in the rear seat, my head knocks against the end of the roof lining - same problem in the Punto.

Optra Magnum is a nice vehicle though too low in my opinion - I would not even consider any other Optra - after all it's origins are weird and it has only been re-badged with the Chevy badge. But Optra is on its way out, since it is pretty much at the end of the product life cycle and is being replaced by the Cruze.

The Cruze could be a VFM buy when it comes out - should be priced about max 12 ish I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
What makes you think Linea's rear seat is not comfortable?
The low head-room? There's enough headroom for average Indians (lower than 6ft).

IMO, with the better suspension of Fiat I would expect the back seat to be better than Optra (I haven't sat in an Optra BTW).

And isn't Cruze the next-gen optra? It will be in that 11-13lac bracket only.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Is this definitive info? Any idea what the BHP will be like on the 1.6? I have a friend who's really keen on the diesel Linea but is hesitant because he finds the current 1.3 mill underpowered.
I don't think the 1.6 MJD is coming to India. Please the FIAT CEO interveiw thread.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:14   #22

Toyota Innova if you would ask me!
But, since I drive the Jetta too, spend a little more (if possible!) and get the Jetta.
Fuel consumption isn't bad at all! And the car is awesome! :-) Or also, if I'm not wrong, an Octavia also comes under 12 Lakh? But, the car isn't as comforting for long drives.
Owned the Optra for quite some time. Trust me, for long drives, the Optra is just heavenly, barring the fact that it is quite low! :-) Good luck!
Old 18th August 2009, 00:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Definately the innova.... good at handling bad roads, ride quality is good and the seat as every one said are like sofa.. moreovet.. it fits in the budget

If it has to be a sedan then..it can be an optra magnum or the verna.. but I dont think that they can handle bad roads every day for about 80kms..the lancer diesel is the only sedan which can handle bad roads but again its a very old model.. will be discontinued soon and it not at all value for money as it lacks most of the features including safety which most of its competitors do provide..

aree chief all 80km isnt bad roads more like 5 km of really bad roads(i mean non existant road bikers fall by the dozen)

He had an petrol Optra but was really dissapointed with it.Sold it for 2.5 after using it for 5 yrs. i doubt he ll put in money for optra. I ll show him the thread tommorrow.
Old 18th August 2009, 01:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

stretch the budget a bit more and buy Sonata Transform.
Old 18th August 2009, 08:45   #25
BHPian

I think, a company leased plan doesnt necessiate a new car but can also be for a pre-owned car of less than 5 yrs age... so why not climb up the ladder with a pre-owned C class Merc?

Since the maintenance costs are also borne by the company or atleast non-taxable, it should be a decent buy!

Last edited by AirWind : 18th August 2009 at 08:46. Reason: Added more info
Old 18th August 2009, 15:57   #26
BHPian

I would suggest to go for a Innova and as suggested by many of our friends if your friend can streach the budget then there are many options like Sonata Transform or VW Jetta
Old 19th August 2009, 16:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

You choose between Innova / Optra Magnum for their comfort levels.
Old 19th August 2009, 16:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

The Sonata has hefty discounts these days. Though 12 lakh is a bit too cheap it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The Sonata has hefty discounts these days. Though 12 lakh is a bit too cheap it shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
What is the best quote on a diesel sonata that you may have come across. I doubt if otr price would be anywhere less than 15 Lakhs for amnual and 16 Lakhs for AT after discounts too.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:09   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I really think your friend should look at the Sonata Transform D. It is the most comfortable.
However, if the price may be too stretched for him, go ahead with the Innova since he travels on bad roads.
If he wants a sedan, the Linea is one of the most comfortable around!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks