Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 08:24   #16
TCX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
For mods, you can go for Lancer or OHC anyday. With the budget of 1.2 lakhs for mods, you have an option of upgrading to better brakes also. Try to find OHC 1.5 (or VTEC). Fantastic vehicle. Both Lancer and OHC are decent looking and pocket friendly cars (compared to mondeo and rider).
Those Japanese cars are a delight to modify and drive, but I would rather look for Mondeo or Octy before these only because of the safety factors. And once those modifications are done wouldn't they be as expensive to own? Just a thought, am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Personally, i'd say the Mondeo any day, unless your looking at getting the Octavia RS.

Spares for the mondeo are pretty expensive, and not every dealer stocks them, which means, in case of a problem you might have to wait for a minimum of 2 to 3 days for your spares to arrive.

Coming to the Octavia, it is a nice car, but the stories we hear about SKODA and it's dealers? Why don't you mod your swift? Get new rubber and alloys, a good FFE, probably an ecu remap?
You're absolutely right, Skoda is no saint. In fact worse than Ford in my opinion, that's why I don't understand why there are more people complaining about Ford than Skoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
How much is your usage?
My usage will be divided mostly. I'm buying 2 cars to be honest. One is this and the other for my daily commute to work. A small city car. My work place lies 12km from home. 5 days a week and I'd take the swift replacement out on weekends and holidays. So it would probably work out to the same as I'm spending now, or maybe less even, for the fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Welcome! You are not alone...

I do own a '06 Swift Vxi done just 12K and everytime I see an RS, Mondeo or Cedia, I end up with the very same dilema until such time the reality of traffic/parking/running & owning costs brings me back to safe mode instructing me to spurse up my Swift instead.

From your list, the OHC VTec (not the 1.5) makes perfect sense, throw the Lancer out unless you can find the rare 1.8 Invex. However with a 5L budget, I will add the Fiesta/Baleno (to mod) or stock Corolla/Elantra CRDi. The Elantra comes with TC and is much more fun/cheap to drive and own.

To add to your confusion, if you can stretch your budget you can get a Cedia @ 6L, the RS @7 and the Accord 2.4 @ 8L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Mitsubishi Cedia is your answer. Will be easier to maintain than your current options.
Hmmm, the problem is I'm keeping a buffer beyond that for expenses I might incur on a used car and so I've set a limit of 5 for myself, and that keeps me in safe territory. But the Cedia is a wonderful machine for that price, I must say. Moreover I've also set aside a budget for a little car for my commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You evidently love the Mondeo, shut your eyes and pick the next well-maintained example you find. It's a great used buy, considering the prices that they are trading hands at.

Take a look at this discussion, more specifically the posts by Mondeo owners (R.P.M. etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I think you are totally in love with the mondeo, if so, just go for it. But be warned that the car is discontinued and resale will be terrible when you plan to sell it. Also be prepared for long waiting periods for parts and expensive services.

I think you should take a look at this mondeo. Even with the registration costs in bangy, it will be in your budget.

Team-BHP Classifieds - Ford Mondeo COSWORTH - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
if your heart is set on a mondeo, you won't be satisfied with anything but it. Go for it

cheers
I am in fact. I remember driving this for the first time and shyucks, it was something else. The reason why I enjoyed it even more IMHO is also because I'm 6'5". And the ergonomics were perfect for me and it wasn't like a boat considering its size. Something that makes me dislike bigger cars. Honestly speaking, I am a total fan of hatchbacks. And how much do you think I'd incur on registration? One other thing that's my concern usually are cars with modifications. I get a bit worried for 2 reasons; I don't know how they were treated, and how reliable they would turn out to be after te mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
OT: You have one more option , Hyundai ELANTRA. The top end model comes fully loaded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Have you heard of the elantra crdi??
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Yes, this could be the answer, though I don't think it's as fast as the Mondeo, but very good second hand ones are available, I was getting a 2004 top end with 20k on the odo for 3.5 Lakhs, only the Tax was going to be due in a month or two, still a VFM deal. Had I not had my Amby, would have definietly picked this one up.
I have actually. I haven't driven the car but for some reason that car puts me off. And a diesel is not something I enjoy driving too much. For example, my friend had an Octavia TDi till last year and I've driven that loads, and I just completely disliked it when compared to the 1.8TPi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
you reminded me the time I started looking for a car for about 5-5.5lacs.. initially it was a new swift but here I am in a Mitsubishi Cedia.

Chk this up: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...i-cedia-3.html
Wow, that's one wonderful car, yours and the Cedia in general. The issue though is, resale for those cars are upward of 6L here in Bangalore, if it's an individual, it goes up further and the luck that you had is a bit hard to come by. So, that puts it beyond my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hi TCX,
Don't make a decision in haste. Do some research before you take a decision. Team-BHP itself has tons of information. Also, get in touch with a few owners and check with them on the maintenance costs. For a person owning a swift, these cars' maintenance bill would give you a rude shock unless you pick up a very well maintained car. Being a ford owner in bangalore, i can confidently say that sourcing mondeo spares would be extremely difficult and very expensive. If you still think you would want to go for one of these cars, honda would be a better choice. As JayD has pointed out, there is also a honda accord 2005 model on sale for 6 lakhs in the classifieds section.
Cheers,
Deepak
Yup, definitely, I have been doing a lot of reading. And for the Accord, well it's not a big car that I'm looking for, it's more that I want something more powerful and something that handles better than my swift at highway speeds at that price. I've driven a 2006 Accord and I wasn't too happy by the way it felt. It was clear the car was for a family. You know? What I mean is not that the car is bad, but rather that it doesn't feel like something I might want to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The Mondeo is a great car and the car that came closest to it is the even rarer Opel Vectra. If it is the Mondeo you love, go for it (with your eyes open for the well marked pit-falls).

Cheers,
Yup, the Vectra is a great car too, but the last car I saw had an 8.35L price tag to it. A pity.

Well everybody, here's a bit on the car's I've seen lately-

a)Lancer, body work is clean, no major accidents, 48000km, city driven. 1 owner. 3L negotiable.
b)Mondeo 67000km, papers are off. Staying away from that. City driven, good condition. 2 owners. 3.95L
c)Mondeo again, 92000km, very honest and open seller, highway driven, scratches. 2 owners. 4L very negotiable. (over the phone, going to see this on Sunday)
d)City 1.5 Exi, 50000km, city & highway, decent body, 2 owners 3L negotiable again.
e)Vtec 85000km, city driven, modified looks and parts, 3 owners 4.5L
f)Cedia Dealer, 34000 km (1.5 years) yikes, 1 owner 6.2L
g)Octavia, 80000km, again dealer, 2 owner 4.75L

What are your opinions guys?

Thanks so much everyone.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:52   #17
BHPian

The Japs/Koreans match Europeans on all safety/crash tests, they are in fact better built/put together and much much reliable - so dont doubt them, they only lack the tough feel/build.

You should probably consider retaining your Swift so you dont spend on the small car.

That 8.xxL asking Vectra has been on sale for too long... everyone knows why!

All your shortlists have logged high mileage (except the Cedia), look for sub 40K run machines to avoid high maintenance. Also remember, most of these cars running in Bangalore would have almost run twice as much as their odo because of idling at traffic/signals.

Look up New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com there is a '04 single owner 60K run Mondeo asking 3.95L - looks great in pictures.

As some one said, dont rush... this is a buyers market and your dream car would just be a couple of wks away! All the best!
Old 21st August 2009, 10:18   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
c)Mondeo again, 92000km, very honest and open seller, highway driven, scratches. 2 owners. 4L very negotiable. (over the phone, going to see this on Sunday)
May not be a bad deal - a 92k highway driven car = 35k city driven one. Plenty of money for spares
Quote:
d)City 1.5 Exi, 50000km, city & highway, decent body, 2 owners 3L negotiable again.
f

Much as I loved my old Vtec - they are scary over 120 km/h - modifying ainlt that easy - ok for dragging and city use
Old 21st August 2009, 10:18   #19
TCX
BHPian

@Airwind

Absolutely, the Japanese cars are as competent or more. I meant, in respect to the OHC and Lancer, they lack airbags and ABS, those are the only things And considering I'm giving up a car that has both of those, I'm used to the ABS feel under hard braking although I engine it along too. But just a reassuring feeling none the less.

Yep, I'll take a look at that car sometime.

I think there's one at a dealer in I'nagar, will go check it out after work today.

Last edited by TCX : 21st August 2009 at 10:28.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:23   #20
TCX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
May not be a bad deal - a 92k highway driven car = 35k city driven one. Plenty of money for spares
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking, I'd be playing safe with the money there.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:32   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCX View Post

Well everybody, here's a bit on the car's I've seen lately-

a)Lancer, body work is clean, no major accidents, 48000km, city driven. 1 owner. 3L negotiable.
b)Mondeo 67000km, papers are off. Staying away from that. City driven, good condition. 2 owners. 3.95L
f)Cedia Dealer, 34000 km (1.5 years) yikes, 1 owner 6.2L
g)Octavia, 80000km, again dealer, 2 owner 4.75L

What are your opinions guys?

Thanks so much everyone.

Well, to begin with, I am probably late here but I would recommend the Octavia VRS, which should be available in your budget plus or minus 75k more. I have many aqquaintances at TAFE Access and should be able to find something for you if you are interested. Also, like you mentioned, European cars are better built, are safer and last longer.

Mods and stuff, sorry, not my piece of cake...
Old 21st August 2009, 20:46   #22
TCX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, to begin with, I am probably late here but I would recommend the Octavia VRS, which should be available in your budget plus or minus 75k more. I have many aqquaintances at TAFE Access and should be able to find something for you if you are interested. Also, like you mentioned, European cars are better built, are safer and last longer.

Mods and stuff, sorry, not my piece of cake...
Hey, that's very polite of you. I will certainly let you know, but as I mentioned, I shouldn't get into the whole stretching of the budget, it isn't smart for me to right now. Thanks a tonne though.

@Everyone
Update

I went and checked the Mondeo out. The car's now done 101720kms. Out of which he says 50k is highway. He has recently done the following

New Clutch 2000km back
New Brake Pads 2000km back
Service
New Fuel Pump 10000km back(yaay)
Insurance taken care of till April 2010

Now, to be honest, the car feels good, better than another car that I TD. The 67k car. The things that need fixing are these-

A few scratches on the bumber
Right rear bush needs replacement
The CD changer's gone, but I'm fine with that, I'd rather put in a good MP3 player anyway. Should I go further and get it checked by a Ford Mechanic tomorrow?

Well, so what do you guys think? This is the third Mondy I've checked in 3 weeks and this seems like it's most well maintained of them all. But how much is this car worth? Please feel free to give me completely honest and open inputs guys.

Thanks again...
Old 23rd August 2009, 07:20   #23
TCX
BHPian

Another Update

I tried the car again yesterday. Well, the car's not in that great shape. There's mild vibration in the chassis beyond 60, which I didn't notice the last time. The rear suspension's gone too. Then I got it checked by a Ford mech, he said the water pump, suspension, steering column need fix. So I'm moving on.

Went and saw a Rider Tpi, it wasn't in particularly good shape either. it was coming quite cheap @ 4L, but just not worth it.
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCX View Post
Another Update

I tried the car again yesterday. Well, the car's not in that great shape. There's mild vibration in the chassis beyond 60, which I didn't notice the last time. The rear suspension's gone too. Then I got it checked by a Ford mech, he said the water pump, suspension, steering column need fix. So I'm moving on.

Went and saw a Rider Tpi, it wasn't in particularly good shape either. it was coming quite cheap @ 4L, but just not worth it.

Did you inquire with A.S.S. guys regarding the availability of these parts and the price? If you can it will be helpful many here in future.

Check out Optra too; since its in production... and you should be able to find one for a decent price.
Old 24th August 2009, 00:50   #25
BHPian

Lets make your choice easier.

Go by your heart, and go for Mondeo.

Go by your brain, and go for a Honda.

Go by anything but, dont go for a used Skoda.
Old 24th August 2009, 01:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

TCX, i'd look at another mondeo if I were you. replacing parts on it is not like replacing stuff on a honda or a maruti. It could turn out to be a much more expensive and time consuming exercise. And 4L does not sound too cheap, considering the work needing to be done, it looks downright expensive.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:09   #27
TCX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Did you inquire with A.S.S. guys regarding the availability of these parts and the price? If you can it will be helpful many here in future.

Check out Optra too; since its in production... and you should be able to find one for a decent price.
Yep, the Service Chap at Ford quoted these Prices-
1)Suspension Overhaul- 81000
2)Steering Column Fix- 31000
3)Water Pump- <4500
4)One Way Power Window Switch- 1500
5)Service Cost- 3000+

Edit- All parts need to have an order placed, will take a few days minimum. (Where ever replaceable)

And something else I need to change-
6)Tyres- 30000 for 5 tyres.

I took a look at an Optra going for 3.65, Dealer. Had done 49500km. 2004 model LT Trim. But the grille is old. But I am taking this into consideration.

And a Mitsubishi Lancer that seemed nice for the price, 2.75 nego. But it's just so old to buy, 2001, 55000km. SLXi Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
Lets make your choice easier.

Go by your heart, and go for Mondeo.

Go by your brain, and go for a Honda.

Go by anything but, dont go for a used Skoda.
Heheh, to be honest, A new Jazz isn't looking all that bad now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
TCX, i'd look at another mondeo if I were you. replacing parts on it is not like replacing stuff on a honda or a maruti. It could turn out to be a much more expensive and time consuming exercise. And 4L does not sound too cheap, considering the work needing to be done, it looks downright expensive.
I totally agree, this car was very roughly used even though it was serviced on time and everything. His final price was 3.2L, but still not worth the money. Things seems so grim now, I've been looking for a car for a month now(I agree not too long), and looks like I am not going to get anything that's decent. My car looks so much brighter these days.

Last edited by TCX : 24th August 2009 at 09:11. Reason: Adding Info
Old 24th August 2009, 13:32   #28
BHPian

If you decide to buy a Mondeo be aware that depending on the age of the car and the mileage done you may have to replace the following parts,

Dual Mass Flywheel(25K), Clutch Assembly(11K), Slave Cylinder(6K) and Starter Motor(4,5K), in a worst case scenario all of these need to be replaced
Engine Mount(4.5K) and Torque Restrictor(2K)
Front Lower Arms(7K each)
Rear Sub Frame Bushes (1.6K)
Shocks(29K) and Springs(29K)
Stabilizer Bars(Worst case) - 10K
Stabilizer Bar Bushes and Drop Links at both Front/Rear (4K)
Water Pump, Thermostat and Temprature Sender (10K)
Fuel Pump(16.5K)
Brake Disks and Pads (35K)
Tires
Xenon Bulbs
Drive Belt, Idler Pully and Tensioner (7K)
CD Changer(Would never work)
Tie-rod Ends
Coil Pack, HT Leads and Spark Plugs
Drivers side door lock mechanism (9K)

Every Mondeo doesn't need these parts to be replaced but these are some of the parts that usually fail in a Mondeo. Also the prices indicated are the local dealer prices, things would be lot cheaper if you hand carry them from UK.

That is price you pay for a car that still(almost a decade old) sets the bechmark when it comes to performance and handling in the 4 pot category. Not many would agree with my last statement but I also say that not many would have driven it on a highway the way it is supposed to be driven.

Buy a Mondeo if you have lot of time and energy and importantly the moolah to maintain it.
- Novice.

Last edited by novice : 24th August 2009 at 13:40.
Old 24th August 2009, 19:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ TCX, hhaving read through your requirement and the pain that you have been going through I wish you all the best.

Having driven the Mondeo quite a bit,I agree that its a sporty saloon. Spares are available in Plenty if you can get it from UK/Europe and they cost half to 1/3rd of Indian prices.
Old 24th August 2009, 20:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey TCX why dont you take a look at this Mondeo on sale :
Team-BHP Classifieds - Ford Mondeo COSWORTH - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Everyone on the forum seems to be raving about it and its on sale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks