Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 10:52   #1

Help -Queries on Hyundai Elantra crdi

Hi Guys,

Well I’ve been with team-bhp for little more than 1 year now. I happened to know about this forum on Google while searching for technical details of cars, and should mention that this is one of the best automobile forum.

I haven’t written anything on the forum over the last 1 year, since I was keener on reading other fellow member’s experiences and reviews rather than writing . Now I have decided to start this thread (this being my first thread/post on the forum), since I need some valuable advise from the fellow members.

I was looking used car in the price range of 5 to 5.5 lakhs, and finally have narrowed down on an used Hyundai Elantra (2004 model) done around 55,000 Kms with a quoting price of 5 lakhs from one of the used car dealers. Before going for the purchase, I would like to have some queries to be clarified regarding the car as mentioned below:-

- Since Hyundai has stopped production of Elantra, would it be difficult to get the spare parts sourced? (I would like to keep the car for another 5 years)
- What would be the likely service routine and service cost?
- What is the expected mileage (city/highway)?
- What are the various things, I need to check on the vehicle before finalizing the deal?
- Is the price quoted (5 lakhs) worth for a 5 year old Elantra?
- Since it’s a diesel, does the engine needs overhauled, once it completes 1 lakh
kms?

Please provide me your valuable opinions on the above mentioned queries.

P.S. :- Mods, please move this to the appropriate thread if required.

Thanks
Old 25th August 2009, 14:57   #2
BHPian

- Since Hyundai has stopped production of Elantra, would it be difficult to get the spare parts sourced? (I would like to keep the car for another 5 years)
Ans . Parts are plenty at the A.S.S and in the open market (well one shop actually) . Body parts need to be ordered.

- What would be the likely service routine and service cost?
Ans . Every 10000kms. Expect about 6k

- What is the expected mileage (city/highway)?
Ans . ~12

- What are the various things, I need to check on the vehicle before finalizing the deal?
Ans . Ensure all electrics work. Ac works. test
- Is the price quoted (5 lakhs) worth for a 5 year old Elantra?
Ans . for a single owner vehicle in good condition - yes
- Since it’s a diesel, does the engine needs overhauled, once it completes 1 lakh
kms?
Ans . Bovine excreta. this block will run 5 lakh kms if maintained correctly
Old 25th August 2009, 22:20   #3
BHPian

I had owned a pre used Elantra CRDI earlier. I bought it from First Choice in Trivandrum, Kerala. It was a 2005 June specimen that has run 80K kms. I paid 585,000 for the car. The customer service of First Choice is nothing to write home about. Beware of such dealers. This was in exchange for my 4 year old Fiat Palio D 1.9.
I owned this car for just 6 months.

I had a small accident, the bonnet crumpled and had to be replaced. I had to wait almost a month for body parts to arrive at one of Hyundai authorised dealers in Trivandrum. I had to leave India right after this and so had to sell the car. I got only 380,000 for the car when re sold.

There were other cars available in the market for around 4 to 5 lakhs with much lesser kms on the odo... alas I came to know of this only after buying my car...

Point is, ensure that the car is in a very good shape when you buy it. Also know that resale would be very very low. Search far and wide for low run well maintained cars and preferably buy from the owner rather than the second hand dealer.

The driving experience with the 112bhp under the hood is excilerating... unmatched... be careful though...
Old 25th August 2009, 22:39   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

5 Lakhs for a 5-year old Elantra is too high. It should be in the range of Rs.4-4.5Lakh maximum if its a single owner driven car with no accident history
Old 26th August 2009, 10:21   #5

Thanks guys for the responses !

prabhuav - Thank you for your advise, exactly what i wanted to know.

basilmabraham - Well I've have been looking for a vehicle between 5 to 5.5 lakhs, especially a petrol. But after reading Tadukuttan's thread on his Elantra, I'm in total admiration for this vehicle and the exact reason why i looked for an Elantra.

The power and the driving dynamics of the vehicle is what interested me .

mobike008 - Let me try bargaining with the dealer and check the vehicle history , if it doesn't get through - would start the search again.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Something fishy,Try to get it for 4 - 4.5L.
Ensure all the tries are good,else need to spend 25k on them.take it to
Hyundai A.S.S. & get the vehicle inspected.
Don't believe in auto dealers for their warranty etc.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:49   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

3.5-4.25L if your ask me for a 5 year old Elantra - but this depends upon the trip spec as well.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:53   #8
BHPian

I can only comment on the price, I was getting one with 20k on the odo, 2004 very end or 2005 beging I'm not too sure, for 3.5 lakhs. Drove it and really like it too.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:13   #9

Ramsagar - Would keep your suggestion in mind and check with hyundai A.S.S, thanks.

ACM - I totally agree with you, but this was the only Elantra I could find with a single owner and good enough condition from the outside (need to get it checked from the inside by the A.S.S). I'll try bargaining, if it doesn't help would check out some of the petrol cars.

musicmanaman - I guess the prices may be due to the high prices in bangalore compared to kolkota. Not sure !

Thanks for all the advise.

Fellows members please help me with what are the used petrol vehicles that i can look at, in this budget with detials of their service routine/cost, spare parts cost, mileage and other known problems of the vehicle.

Please provided your suggestions on the above, since i need to finalize this before Sept end .
Old 27th August 2009, 14:05   #10
BHPian

If a boot is not a requirement, why not buy a new premium hatch? Punto would be in your reach and will get you the attraction in traffic.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
If a boot is not a requirement, why not buy a new premium hatch? Punto would be in your reach and will get you the attraction in traffic.
Actually, i had been a hatch user (Indica) for almost 6 years and wanted an upgrade to a sedan/SUV/UV, but my current budget doesn't allow me to get a new one and hence thought of checking out the used cars.

Thanks for the suggestion, would go for a TD of Punto in the weekend !!
Old 28th August 2009, 17:41   #12
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The boot is only a mental block that we have, if it is truly not required then a Punto will give a big car feel, for that matter, so would an I20 and the Vista. All three of them are good VFM for what they offer, come with decent warranty and do give a big car feel, they just miss out on the boot which is used once a month by most of us.
Old 28th August 2009, 18:04   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
-- Since it’s a diesel, does the engine needs overhauled, once it completes 1 lakh
kms?
Ans . Bovine excreta. this block will run 5 lakh kms if maintained correctly

Do you have any source of information to support this ? Do you atleast know that the injectors are the same as an accent crdi ones ? Do you know that the same engine is used in an optra magnum ? The engine is actually a VM motori engine .

Accent injectors are known to fail very soon ... they are the first generation injectors from bosch .. Regarding the accent engine failures you can find a lot of info right on team -bhp .
Old 28th August 2009, 18:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Do you have any source of information to support this ? Do you atleast know that the injectors are the same as an accent crdi ones ? Do you know that the same engine is used in an optra magnum ? The engine is actually a VM motori engine .

Accent injectors are known to fail very soon ... they are the first generation injectors from bosch .. Regarding the accent engine failures you can find a lot of info right on team -bhp .

you dont know that you have digged your own grave , lets wait for prabhu ..

There are plenty of threads dicussing about this .
Old 28th August 2009, 18:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post

Do you have any source of information to support this ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks