Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 15:26   #16
Team-BHP Support

I think you should seriously consider the Cruze and enhance the performance further if you require.

- Powereful engine
- Well kitted out
- Comfortable (I think)
- A.S.S is not outstanding but not bad either
- Good warranty
- And at its price point, you have plenty of money left to spare to do it up further.

I think you should try to keep the Chevy image aside.

Finally, if you're happy with the Cedia, you could also consider the all new lancer - there's talk of it coming by mid next year.
Old 17th September 2009, 15:38   #17
BHPian

Nikhil apart from the Cruze, wouldn't you consider Sonata (if you're not too hung up on Hyundai brand). My ex-boss has a Sonata and I've heard nothing but praise for this car from him, and his driver (and this guy also has an Endeavor and a Passat, has earlier driven Toyota Corolla). I drove a TD Sonata for 2-3 days and really liked the ergonomics and aesthetics inside (no chance to test the engine/performance).

At the very least, you should give it a TD- Sonata is an extreme VFM car!
Old 17th September 2009, 15:41   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Viddy, no Beemers please . What abt Mercs? C220CDI manual tranny? Any chance of getting a current gen Merc?

Chevy Cruze seems to be good. Let it launch. Then we'll see. I didnt want to consider cars that havent launched yet. We enthusiasts are frequently disappointed.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Nikhil apart from the Cruze, wouldn't you consider Sonata (if you're not too hung up on Hyundai brand). My ex-boss has a Sonata and I've heard nothing but praise for this car from him, and his driver (and this guy also has an Endeavor and a Passat, has earlier driven Toyota Corolla). I drove a TD Sonata for 2-3 days and really liked the ergonomics and aesthetics inside (no chance to test the engine/performance).

At the very least, you should give it a TD- Sonata is an extreme VFM car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Viddy, no Beemers please . What abt Mercs? C220CDI manual tranny? Any chance of getting a current gen Merc?

Chevy Cruze seems to be good. Let it launch. Then we'll see. I didnt want to consider cars that havent launched yet. We enthusiasts are frequently disappointed.

+ 1 to the Sonata option . Do check it out.
Old 17th September 2009, 16:32   #20
Team-BHP Support

nikhil how about a used a4 3.2fsi? im sure you can get one in less than 30 lacs considering how fast it depreciates.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:03   #21
BHPian

If Mitsubishi is fine with you, why not consider Outlander Nikhil? Its not a true blue SUV and is based on new Lancer, very well kitted, awesome engine and 4 wheel drive to boot. Also, due to lack of popularity should be a lot exclusive.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:16   #22
BHPian

@Nikhil: I picked up a preowned C220 CDI Automatic 2005 model for 16.5 with 30K km. The petrol ones are much cheaper (C200K) but I have heard the mileage is very low. Like GTO has mentioned in his thread that if you find a good mecahanic for your car it is not too expensive on maintanence.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Its not that you are fully out of options.

1) Chevrolet Cruze. Considering your budget of upto Rs. 30 lakh, this car will be below Rs. 20 lakh. But remember the car is a bit low slung. I am able to spot Cruze with normal registration for personal use. I also spotted cars beginning from Corsa Swing. So watching cruze is not a big deal. The likely problem will be night driving where almost all headlights from opposite direction will give you a bit of problem.

2) Chevrolet Optra Magnum diesel. This car needs no introduction on TBHP. Good on space, ride and performance is good too.

3) Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia. Not bad, but much better than NHC.

If you are also considering SUV, its Toyota fortuner + Petes' box.

Coming to main point of fun to drive factor, IMHO the best cars are below Rs. 10 lakh. Fiat Linea has ride and handling advantage over Civic and Altis. Swift is again fun to drive along with Fiesta.

So, if you want FTD vehicle, go for Fiesta, if you want space also, go for Cruze/Magnum diesel.
If you want SUV, go for Fortuner.
Old 17th September 2009, 17:47   #24
BHPian

Quite a wide price range eh Nikhil.
I am in a similar state, have been wanting to upgrade from my '04 corolla for quite some time now but haven't really found a car that is "a clear cut winner".
For example the Civic is good but a little old and isn't really an upgrade, The Superb is fantastic but the A.S.S., The accord is no fun to drive and is low on features IMO, Fortuner has too long a waiting list, is short on features, interiors are too familiar.
So have been waiting for the hit car that will appeal to both my head and my heart, so far the Chevy Cruze is pulling all the right strings except the rear (which i think I can live with) and the suspect A.S.S. (again no problem for me as the Chevy dealer here is a next door neighbor and a friend).
One thing people can talk about to no end is the resale value the Cruze will have some years down the line when you (and maybe me too) wanna sell it off and move to greener pastures but all is speculation and If GM doesn't do Hara Kiri like it did with the Optra and not launch a version 30% cheaper than the top end then the value of the car should stay good (given that all the other things are good like parts quality, fitting quality, easy maintenance, etc.)
So all the best and keep us updated on your decision.
Cheers
Old 17th September 2009, 20:16   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

For your folks, the ideal upgrade will be a Honda Accord. They'll love the space, light controls, soft ride quality and hassle-free ownership experience. It's the most sensible choice.

I'm sure your family will like the Fortuner, but it is nowhere as comfortable (stiff pitchy ride).

Quote:
but I would like a simple figure of xxxx/year. Approximately of course
50,000 - 75,000 (averaged) depending on your luck.

If you are willing to go used, and for family driving, a used BMW 3 series (preferably with BSI coverage) or an E Class (E is better built than the C) are the best options. Remember, with the Europeans, ALWAYS go for diesel. Superior FE, reliability and durability. Plus, the diesels are generally quicker / as quick as the petrols.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:53   #26
Team-BHP Support

Nikhil i think apart from a lesser resale market angle, you shouldnt have any worries while considering GM cars, atleast in India.

Trust me you will love the Cruze
Old 17th September 2009, 20:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

Cruze is your best bet but does not come with the snob value.

There is nothing wrong with an Accord that a set of good tires and shocks cannot fix. I'd say test drive it before you drop it.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:27   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For your folks, the ideal upgrade will be a Honda Accord. They'll love the space, light controls, soft ride quality and hassle-free ownership experience. It's the most sensible choice.

I'm sure your family will like the Fortuner, but it is nowhere as comfortable (stiff pitchy ride).

50,000 - 75,000 (averaged) depending on your luck.

If you are willing to go used, and for family driving, a used BMW 3 series (preferably with BSI coverage) or an E Class (E is better built than the C) are the best options. Remember, with the Europeans, ALWAYS go for diesel. Superior FE, reliability and durability. Plus, the diesels are generally quicker / as quick as the petrols.
Thanks GTO. Was waiting for your word on the used cars. Do you think a used E Class will be available for less than 20 lakhs? See, my dad has never bought a used car(at least not that I remember). But he seems to be warming up to the idea because he might be able to own a Merc for cheap.

The Accord would be perfect except for the fact that it seems overpriced compared to the Superb. And I've heard that the handling isnt that great. Of course, we'll be coming off an NHC Vtec. So, anything will be better I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nikhil i think apart from a lesser resale market angle, you shouldnt have any worries while considering GM cars, atleast in India.

Trust me you will love the Cruze
Hehe. Thank you . I guess we'll just have to wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Cruze is your best bet but does not come with the snob value.

There is nothing wrong with an Accord that a set of good tires and shocks cannot fix. I'd say test drive it before you drop it.
Snob value is not something we're interested in. Except of course if it involves a Merc!
Old 17th September 2009, 21:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Either a pre-owned BMW 325i or 320d or if you want new the following:
How much do used 325i's go for? To me that is the only interesting BMW for a manageable price. The 5's feel a bit too big and you can't throw them around. The are exquisitely stable though beyond the double ton. A new 325i goes for 40 OTR with the maintenance package and that is a bit too much for me to swallow.

Unfortunately Navnit said they are not aware of any used ones for sale. They don't even have a 325i for TD .

Last edited by reignofchaos : 17th September 2009 at 21:55.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:50   #30
Team-BHP Support

Word of caution if you are planning on Mercs and other expensive europeans, they are horrendously expensive when it comes to maintenance. Regular service and spare replacements can run to sums like 30k at an authorized dealer.

Unless you have good contacts at an independent garage which handles these cars and access to cheaper spare parts from countries like Singapore, i wouldnt recommend these for regular use.

Accord is a good car, but as you pointed out its over priced and parts will be expensive. Regular maintenance will be ok though.

Cost of ownership is something you should seriously consider while buying a regular use car.

Most Viewed