Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 14:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The Fiesta would be my personal choice over these 2.

Of course if you can extend your budget then there is no better car than the ANHC But again it's around 9 lacs so very steep.

Please TD both the Verna & Fiesta and see for yourself.
i have driven both verna and fiesta around a year back. fiesta has amazing driving dynamics, which verna can only dream of, but as my requirements say, its more about parents than me, driving dynamics would be utilized for say 10% of time, while comfort is more important all the time as parents would be at the back. so rear seat comfort is more important. and that's where fiesta falls short of expectation.

also, fiesta zxi is available for rs. 7.04 lakhs after all discounts while verna sx is available for 7.55 lakh rupees after all discounts.

now, honda city is in picture, but dad is trying to find out an alternative to it so as to avoid paying 9+ lakhs for city. but all the other cars are falling short of his requirements.

that's why this trouble of deciding. if it would have been for me, it would have been fiesta eyes closed disregarding the service which is suppose to be not good in vadodara compared to hyundai or honda.

we are eagerly waiting for new sx4, but chances are it will be above 8 lakh rupees thereby bringing us to square one.

Last edited by chevelle : 29th September 2009 at 14:39.
Old 29th September 2009, 14:57   #17
BHPian

You can also check out Chevy Optra and Aveo bothh have good seats and comfortable ride.

Even if the Indigo XL gets discontinued I am sure there wouldn't be much of a problem in geting spares and the same engine might be used in the new indigo as well.
Old 29th September 2009, 15:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
You can also check out Chevy Optra and Aveo bothh have good seats and comfortable ride.

Even if the Indigo XL gets discontinued I am sure there wouldn't be much of a problem in geting spares and the same engine might be used in the new indigo as well.
he did checked Aveo, found it good, but 1.4 underpowered and 1.6 on expensive side. its close to 8 lakhs on road, with discounts it could be around 7.60 lakh rupees. but it again doesn't have passenger side airbag, fatc. also reportedly, its fuel efficiency is less compared to other 1.6. my dad also found gearbox notchy and being used to controls for rhd, he finds the lhd controls a bit odd.
i have been reading aveo's ownership reviews here and all have same opinion, 1.4 is underpowered especially in 2nd gear with a.c on.

but it is still under consideration.

as for indigo xl, my dad rejected it. my friend had a safari and indica, and his views about a.s.s in baroda is not encouraging.

so as of now aveo, fiesta, verna are top contenders, waiting for sx4, honda city is like a for sure thing if other four cars don't work out good.

Last edited by chevelle : 29th September 2009 at 15:08.
Old 29th September 2009, 19:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hey!

I guess you have covered almost all the possibilities there are.

I personally think that even if the highway use is merely 10% of the total, you shouldn't forsake handling at high speeds. Verna's high speed stability is very doubtful. The Fiesta does this job very well (Apart from looking better too! To each his own ). Now you could spruce up the interiors by getting some nice seat covers with good padding. Sure they'll set you back by 10k, but it'll still be covered in the price differential with the Verna.

Please do check out the service centers in your city before you decide on any car.

Here in Delhi a friend of mine is expecting his SX4's delivery in December (Yeah! I don't believe it either!). Please do check out how easily it would be available on release (I am pretty confident it would not be a problem, but no harm in checking out).

All the best!
Old 29th September 2009, 23:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well then my friend If you remain unsatisfied about the rear seat comfort of a Fiesta then I'd say the Verna VTVT fits your requirement perfectly.

True - there is no other car choice in that segment.

Of course there is the Fiat Linea, Dezire, Aveo etc. BUT if you have narrowed it down to the Verna then it's a perfectly good choice.

The only one minus point in a verna petrol is the resale which does not have too many takers. Other than this it is a perfect car. And I drive one too
Old 29th September 2009, 23:43   #21
BHPian

I would still suggest ANHC.Eventhough it is a bit expensive,the better fuel efficiency,easy to drive,good high speed stability and trouble free nature of the car will suit you parents needs.If you plan to keep the car for 5 years or more ANHC would be a good choice.Honda's after sales sevice is usually good.

I think Verna's interior is not as spacious as ANHC.I would suggest to avoid AVEO,since it is not selling well.Please let your dad and mum test drive the vehicles you have shortlisted.And choose the car they likes the most.
Old 30th September 2009, 05:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
I would still suggest ANHC.Eventhough it is a bit expensive,the better fuel efficiency,easy to drive,good high speed stability and trouble free nature of the car will suit you parents needs.If you plan to keep the car for 5 years or more ANHC would be a good choice.Honda's after sales sevice is usually good.

I think Verna's interior is not as spacious as ANHC.I would suggest to avoid AVEO,since it is not selling well.Please let your dad and mum test drive the vehicles you have shortlisted.And choose the car they likes the most.
my parents love Honda city and want to go for it and so do I,but the problem is paying 1.5 lakh rupee premium over a fiesta or Verna.

They test drove aveo, fiesta, city, Verna. Liked aveo, Verna, city. But all have some negatives or other. I think it will be decided by them in 10 days time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post

I personally think that even if the highway use is merely 10% of the total, you shouldn't forsake handling at high speeds. Verna's high speed stability is very doubtful. The Fiesta does this job very well (Apart from looking better too! To each his own ). Now you could spruce up the interiors by getting some nice seat covers with good padding.

Please do check out the service centers in your city before you decide on any car.

Here in Delhi a friend of mine is expecting his SX4's delivery in December (Yeah! I don't believe it either!).
the ford's service is a major problem. Haven't got favorable review abot service center of ford. GM and HOnda have good reviews from friends and relatives.

While I can spruce up interior by padding seats but I can't increase rear seat legroom and shoulder room and that's where fiesta falls short. Verna falls short in width. Same with aveo though both have good legroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Well then my friend If you remain unsatisfied about the rear seat comfort of a Fiesta then I'd say the Verna VTVT fits your requirement perfectly.

True - there is no other car choice in that segment.

Of course there is the Fiat Linea, Dezire, Aveo etc. BUT if you have narrowed it down to the Verna then it's a perfectly good choice.

The only one minus point in a verna petrol is the resale which does not have too many takers. Other than this it is a perfect car. And I drive one too
I am aware of bad resale, boat like handling of Verna. I am rooting for primarily Honda city. I am not too keen on Verna or aveo which is their choice. Hope the see light at end of tunnel and go for city. I have send them this topic link as well as other ownership review links of fiesta,city and aveo. So they are getting aware of pros and cons of all cars under consideration.
They also called cargo motors in Ahmadabad for test drive of linea. They took our info like street address and phone number and told that when they have to schedule 2-5 test drive customers they will bring it to baroda. This was second time when my dad called. When my elder brother called for a test drive they straight away denied it saying it's not possible. So my family thinks if it's like this before sales how it will be after sales?

As for aveo and dzire, both are also under consideration, but dzire has same problem of rear seats as fiesta.

How I wish we had atleast one car in each segment we could close our eyes and buy. Lol.

Trust me, it's getting confusing day by day.

Last edited by chevelle : 30th September 2009 at 05:40.
Old 30th September 2009, 07:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
my parents love Honda city and want to go for it and so do I,but the problem is paying 1.5 lakh rupee premium over a fiesta or Verna.

As for aveo and dzire, both are also under consideration, but dzire has same problem of rear seats as fiesta .
Hi friend buying a sedan at 8 lakh is very confusing.Lot of choices but lacks an allrounder.My suggesion is to avoid AVEO because of poor sales it may be discontinued.Dzire is a good car but the back seat is disappointing.Some say due to the poorly designed boot it is difficult to reverse Dzire due to poor rear visiblity.But a reverse sensor could help.

Hope my initial ownership report of ANHC will be useful.If you don't have much finanacial constrain I believe ANHC is the car to buy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...swift-vdi.html
Old 30th September 2009, 11:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevtec View Post
Hi friend buying a sedan at 8 lakh is very confusing.Lot of choices but lacks an allrounder.My suggesion is to avoid AVEO because of poor sales it may be discontinued.Dzire is a good car but the back seat is disappointing.Some say due to the poorly designed boot it is difficult to reverse Dzire due to poor rear visiblity.But a reverse sensor could help.

Hope my initial ownership report of ANHC will be useful.If you don't have much finanacial constrain I believe ANHC is the car to buy.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...swift-vdi.html
thanks for the link, i have been following your report since the day you started it. and i appreciate the details you have mentioned in that.

yes, dzire has poor rear visibility, which was complain made by my mother.

hope GM brings a better AVEO, but i don't see it coming for atleast six months. looks like it is not serious in that segment.

we are trying to get the finances covered so as to go for anhc. fingers crossed.

my parents are unwilling to take risk of second hand car, otherwise, civic or corolla would have been compelling choice.
Old 9th October 2009, 02:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

If the car is primarily for your parents and you and your brother are not going to burn rubber, I would recommend you take a very serious look at the Mitsubishi Lancer Petrol.
I know it is a 90s design etc etc but Strictly from the parents perspective it has
1. Comfortable rear seats aided by the multi link rear suspension complete with stabilizer bars rear & front.
2. Excellent all around visibility. Your mother will find it very easy to drive and park especially traffic infested places like Alkapuri market area.
3. Proven design, smooth engine, slick gearbox.
4. After Sale Service is present in Vadodara.
5. Not expensive to run & maintain.
The only negative I can think of is lack of air bags. If this is really an issue then look at the Cedia select. You get all of the above in a bigger & better package at 9.3 L ex showroom it is only slightly above Honda city manual prices. If mileage is an issue you do have the Cedia with LPG option(I think it is still available).

Personally the 2009 honda city was uncomfortable with my driver upfront and me directly behind (both 5'6") and my mother beside me on the TD. It felt like being inside a tube. Strictly my views and maybe I am claustrophobic. Heck no! the hc has a very narrow cabin. So how are your family with average male height being 6' going to be comfortable ever. Do a TD again and with everyone on board imagine it is a longish family outing and things will be clear.

By the way we have an Aveo1.6LT at home strictly for my parents. Very comfortable ride in the back seat. very quiet and spacious cabin. Getting in and out of rear seat is an issue as the door opening is not that big, but once you are inside the cabin is excellent in terms of NVH levels and ride comfort and it does have passenger side air bag! Has GM taken one out? With Halol being a stone throw away I do not think after sale service should be an issue. Factor in the three year service holiday coupled to a three year warranty and it should make up for a good chunk of the price differential mentioned in the thread. The odd ball is the stalk configuration for LHD but one gets used to it. Ours is a 2006 model and gives 9 to 11 kms depending on its mood, LOL. However with the running being around 1000 kms a month my father stopped complaining a long time ago especially in view of the superior cabin. Oh! about those occasional highway journeys the car sticks to the road like a leech and this is with stock goodyear tyres at triple digit speeds.

On the same note considering that average male height in your family is 6 feet
you should also look at the Optra petrol. It gives you all that the Aveo has plus the extra leg room for your legs AND GM just dropped the Optra prices last week between 40 to 70K depending on the model. Here is another car smack bang in the middle of Honda city manual and Automatic price band.

All the best & look forward to seeing your parents new ride complete with tbhp stickers.
Old 10th October 2009, 22:50   #26
BHPian

:)

Pretty simple! Your bro drives it, your dad does 5 km everyday. and your mom drives it. YOUR MOM DRIVES IT! Get whatever she likes. Moms are always the same, ask her what she likes and get it! Such a fuss over nothing i tell you! 10K a year is not much for any car. So I wouldnt bother much about maintanence etc. Ask her to test drive, backseat and drivers, get what she likes ( and also tell her that, its her CHOICE ) and You will find Peace!

Believe me, Your bro or your dad wont complain, let it be moms choice. YOu dont have anything to lose then! ; )
Old 11th October 2009, 00:08   #27
BHPian

I've been told by few on TBHP to stay away from Verna-petrol.
I've heard a few BHPians saying that it gives awful mileage or something?
Please check with verna-petrol owners too.

You an consider the upcoming Indigo-manza too.
Old 11th October 2009, 08:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
1) By the way we have an Aveo1.6LT at home strictly for my parents. Very comfortable ride in the back seat. very quiet and spacious cabin. Getting in and out of rear seat is an issue as the door opening is not that big, but once you are inside the cabin is excellent in terms of NVH levels and ride comfort and it does have passenger side air bag! Has GM taken one out? With Halol being a stone throw away I do not think after sale service should be an issue.
1) Aveo is a car that is designed to get the job done without drama. The cabin is has the best sound insulation below Rs. 10 lakh segment, but Aveo is not the best package. The positive aspect is that one wont have any issue regarding spares as Vadodara is near to Halol. For what it offers, Aveo is overpriced specially when compared to SX4.

2) The best car that meets your requirements is SX4 IMHO. It has almost got everything you want, but the suspension is on stiff side. But not bad ride quality. The SX4 with updated grille and new engine head comes on Oct 13 i.e. day after tomorrow.
Old 11th October 2009, 10:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your responses guys. My parents are reading this too while we discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I would recommend you take a very serious look at the Mitsubishi Lancer Petrol.

The only negative I can think of is lack of air bags. If this is really an issue then look at the Cedia select. You get all of the above in a bigger & better package at 9.3 L ex showroom it is only slightly above Honda city manual prices. If mileage is an issue you do have the Cedia with LPG option(I think it is still available).

Personally the 2009 honda city was uncomfortable with my driver upfront and me directly behind (both 5'6") and my mother beside me on the TD. It felt like being inside a tube. Strictly my views and maybe I am claustrophobic. Heck no! the hc has a very narrow cabin. So how are your family with average male height being 6' going to be comfortable ever. Do a TD again and with everyone on board imagine it is a longish family outing and things will be clear.

By the way we have an Aveo1.6LT at home strictly for my parents. Very comfortable ride in the back seat. very quiet and spacious cabin. Getting in and out of rear seat is an issue as the door opening is not that big, but once you are inside the cabin is excellent in terms of NVH levels and ride comfort and it does have passenger side air bag! Has GM taken one out? With Halol being a stone throw away I do not think after sale service should be an issue. Factor in the three year service holiday coupled to a three year warranty and it should make up for a good chunk of the price differential mentioned in the thread. The odd ball is the stalk configuration for LHD but one gets used to it.

On the same note considering that average male height in your family is 6 feet
you should also look at the Optra petrol. It gives you all that the Aveo has plus the extra leg room for your legs AND GM just dropped the Optra prices last week between 40 to 70K depending on the model. Here is another car smack bang in the middle of Honda city manual and Automatic price band.

All the best & look forward to seeing your parents new ride complete with tbhp stickers.
Lancer is a total no-no. too outdated. i know its an excellent machine. but its too long in the tooth. spares could be a problem.
if i was considering old design, i think they would have gone for ikon/accent too.

cedia is under consideration but my parents didn't like its look.

Aveo is still under consideration, but we felt 1.4 to be underpowered, gearbox very very notchy, won't slot properly. rest everything is good. stalks were a problem for my mom. but she said she can get used to it. service i guess shouldn't be a problem.

But my opinion for GM cars is that, both aveo and optra haven't been updated in long while, so i think they may update quite soon. is that a possibility?

they found honda city to be comfortable. as only my parents would be sitting at the back, i don't think they faced issue of narrowness. you know what i mean.

I am hoping, that they bring the car soon. Just not able to decide which one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Pretty simple! Your bro drives it, your dad does 5 km everyday. and your mom drives it. YOUR MOM DRIVES IT! Get whatever she likes. Moms are always the same, ask her what she likes and get it! Such a fuss over nothing i tell you! 10K a year is not much for any car. So I wouldnt bother much about maintanence etc. Ask her to test drive, backseat and drivers, get what she likes ( and also tell her that, its her CHOICE ) and You will find Peace!

Believe me, Your bro or your dad wont complain, let it be moms choice. YOu dont have anything to lose then! ; )
if my mom has her way, it won't be anything other than a HONDA CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
I've been told by few on TBHP to stay away from Verna-petrol.
I've heard a few BHPians saying that it gives awful mileage or something?
Please check with verna-petrol owners too.

You an consider the upcoming Indigo-manza too.
yes, i have told them not to consider verna petrol. its still at their back of mind. but chances are it won't be finalized.

manza won't be under consideration. my dad is not too fond of TATA cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Aveo is a car that is designed to get the job done without drama. The cabin is has the best sound insulation below Rs. 10 lakh segment, but Aveo is not the best package. The positive aspect is that one wont have any issue regarding spares as Vadodara is near to Halol. For what it offers, Aveo is overpriced specially when compared to SX4.

2) The best car that meets your requirements is SX4 IMHO. It has almost got everything you want, but the suspension is on stiff side. But not bad ride quality. The SX4 with updated grille and new engine head comes on Oct 13 i.e. day after tomorrow.

agreed with your first point. if i consider Aveo 1.6, it gets too close to linea and city levels, in which case, it make sense to go for either of those two.

as the best car, no sx4 doesn't meet that requirement. if it would have, it would already be in our garage. its too loud at higher revs, cabin quality ain't any good. mom was uncomfortable in the rear seat. they felt the thuds when going over potholes. which weren't there in aveo, honda city.

one important thing that is of consideration is status or image of car. Aaggoswami must be familiar with the morning walkers groups near Kamati baug. With our limited budget, we don't have much choices in this segment.

Last edited by chevelle : 11th October 2009 at 10:22.
Old 11th October 2009, 13:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi Chevelle,

Have you guys tried the Linea petrol as yet, I tried to but could not see if you had mentioned that in the thread. While it is again very comfortable, the question is would your mother be comfortable driving it? As for the status quotient, I personally believe it is an elegant, stately vehicle that is priced correctly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks