Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 08:47   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
Guys I am in my dilemma whether to go for the Altis MT or City MT. I liked the suspension and GC of altis as + for the altis and it seems more steadier as well.
for me FE is very important factor between deciding these two cars. .If there isn't much of a difference I would go for the altis.

Let me yr thoughts guys.
The Altis..hands down. No doubt about it. It is very fuel efficient too even if it is a larger engine.

Any by the way, they're from 2 different segments so its not a fair comparison to start with.

Regards,
Old 5th February 2010, 09:07   #62
Team-BHP Support

@R2D2,

Thanks. That really helps. The reason I was looking at those details was because I suspected the leather fabric to be the bulk of the price delta between G and GL. Leather to me is pure luxury and no VFM. Hence I was thinking, am I getting enough for the delta if out of the 1.2L, 70-80K is paid for leather fabrics. That was the logic.

Comparison between City and Altis is not fair as you mentioned. But, my views of Civic versus Altis also hinges on to Altis, because of the robustness of the build. The GC then clinches the deal further.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:21   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@R2D2,

Thanks. That really helps. The reason I was looking at those details was because I suspected the leather fabric to be the bulk of the price delta between G and GL. Leather to me is pure luxury and no VFM. Hence I was thinking, am I getting enough for the delta if out of the 1.2L, 70-80K is paid for leather fabrics. That was the logic.

Comparison between City and Altis is not fair as you mentioned. But, my views of Civic versus Altis also hinges on to Altis, because of the robustness of the build. The GC then clinches the deal further.
The leather seats are, well, leather in only some sections of the seat assembly while the remainder is simulated leather fabric a.k.a. rexine. Dont worry except in high end cars, car mfrs dont use 100% leather. And this is NOT the reason to buy the GL. For my leather seats was just incidental and a minor factor in going in for the GL. No big deal actually.

The Altis puts comfort ahead of handling so you will find differences with the Civic. And yes I believe high GC is a must on BLR roads. LOL!

And though I've been venting my spleen on Toyota's accelerator recall in the US, rest easy as the affected parts are not used in India. I've physically verified it in my car. Toyota's pre and after sales is excellent and rates 4.5/5 in my books. It beats Honda's after sales hands down.

Cheers!
Old 6th September 2010, 22:08   #64
BHPian

Automatic Sedan options for wife!

Hello BHPians!

I had booked an i20 Automatic for my wife which I could not take delivery in time due to last minute financial hiccups. The delivery cannot be taken before the 3rd week and if this deadline too is missed, I will have to wait till the beginning of the Navratras as I cannot take delivery during the Sharadhs. I conveyed this to the dealer and they claim that it will be difficult for them to keep the vehicle for long as it is occupying space. As such, I told them that if they have a customer for the vehicle, they can sell it off and I can reorder when I can take delivery and that this time, if I reorder, I will pay the whole amount in advance so that there aren't any issues this time.

However, I am getting some money which I can use to upgrade from a hatch to a sedan. Since this vehicle is intended for my wife, this has to be an automatic. I am willing to extend my budget upto 15 lakhs and as such am looking for my options. I need this vehicle to be safe and need this to be equipped with ABS and Airbags.

We cannot consider the Vento as we don't have any VW dealers here or in Guwahati and the nearest dealer is in Siliguri which leaves us with no option but to strike it off our list. Also, since we need immediate delivery (within 30-35 days), we cannot consider the Vento since it will come with a waiting period.

I have not test driven anything as yet and want advice on this. What cars should I consider and why?

Intended use of the vehicle will be within city limits and the occassional highway use (for most of my highway use, I will make do with my Safari which will be delivered soon). This vehicle will be taken on the highway when I want to take a break from driving the behemoth.

I and my wife are gadget freaks and this was one of the main reasons why we chose the i20. We expect the sedan to give us "everything" which the i20 offered. Since we are willing to spend more, we naturally expect the vehicle to offer more.

I dread Skoda and so please don't suggest any Skoda vehicle. I am also not sure if any Skoda automatic can be procured within my budget but anyways, I won't buy a Skoda.

Now I will let my friends here to suggest what I should and should not consider.

Thanks for reading.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

15 lakhs :

diesel - cruze AT
petrol - civic V AT
Old 6th September 2010, 22:16   #66
Team-BHP Support

I think the Chevy Cruze A/T would be the car to go for. Its got a brilliant engine and a nice gearbox. Its a very good overall car. And it has quite a few gadgets, like keyless entry and push button start stop. I hope you like it.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:18   #67
BHPian

Thanks Sid,

I too had these two in mind. The confusion will then be the Honda reliability versus the equipment level and the economy of the diesel that the Cruze will offer.

Thanks Akshay.

I have one issue with the Cruze though. Tanveer, in his review had posted that the Cruze has some issues with the build quality and also for a tall person, the height adjustment will be an issue. Especially, considering that my father-in-law, who wears a turban, has had issues with the Indica he owns, I don't want to take the risk and offend him. He will think that I got this vehicle so that he cannot drive it.

Last edited by SumitB : 6th September 2010 at 22:22.
Old 6th September 2010, 22:51   #68
Team-BHP Support

You have two cars to choose from, in that price bracket. The Chevrolet Cruze is a great car. It looks fantastic, drives like a dream, and is loaded with goodies that your wife would love. On the other hand, the Civic is a great all rounder! Good performance, great comfort, and it still looks good after almost 5 years since its launch! Now it just boils down to whether your wife prefers a petrol or a diesel car!
Old 6th September 2010, 23:00   #69
BHPian

My wife will be floored by anything I choose for her. She was happy with the decision to go with the i20. She will love the Cruze equally. Her only requirement is that the vehicle has to be an automatic.

I have requested for a test drive of the Cruze. I have specifically asked for the automatic and I don't know if an auto transmission will be available for a test drive. Things should move this week and if all goes well, I will book the Cruze LTZ Automatic in Olympic White by next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Has anyone heard of any offers on the Cruze? Also, the e-brochure of the Cruze does not list the availability of a USB port for the ICE anywhere. Does the Cruze come with a USB port or a port to connect the iPod?

How is the stock ICE on the Cruze?
Old 6th September 2010, 23:11   #70
BHPian

I think for your wife civic will be the better choice,as it will give her the style and trouble free nature of honda.And the fairer sex loves CIVIC.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:13   #71
BHPian

Reliability+Premium Sedan+ Automatic+ less than 15 lakhs= Toyota Altis.
Not high on gadgets (has everything a car requires/needs) but overall a well packaged deal and all compromises you make will pay off in the long run.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:18   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Thanks Sid,

I too had these two in mind. The confusion will then be the Honda reliability versus the equipment level and the economy of the diesel that the Cruze will offer.

Thanks Akshay.

I have one issue with the Cruze though. Tanveer, in his review had posted that the Cruze has some issues with the build quality and also for a tall person, the height adjustment will be an issue. Especially, considering that my father-in-law, who wears a turban, has had issues with the Indica he owns, I don't want to take the risk and offend him. He will think that I got this vehicle so that he cannot drive it.
Well im 6'4" and I quite like the driving position, it was sporty. Though I dont think there will be much of a problem with headroom. As for build quality, it isnt as good as a skoda but i found it better than a honda, so like in between.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:19   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
I think for your wife civic will be the better choice,as it will give her the style and trouble free nature of honda.And the fairer sex loves CIVIC.
The Civic is no doubt a wonderful vehicle and is well under my budget but somehow when I compare this with the Cruze, I cannot justify the lack of the goodies the Cruze come loaded with. Moreover, there is the hassle of having to drive the vehicle down to Guwahati if it requires service. However, I am not writing off the Civic just yet. I will take a test drive of the Cruze this week and will drive down to Guwahati to test the Civic and then I will let my wife take the call. I just hope that the dealers here have an auto for both vehicles. Especially for the Cruze as I have read a lot about the turbo lag on the Cruze's manual version.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well im 6'4" and I quite like the driving position, it was sporty. Though I dont think there will be much of a problem with headroom. As for build quality, it isnt as good as a skoda but i found it better than a honda, so like in between.
This is news to my ears! You're rating the Cruze's build quality to be higher than that of the Honda? I will be honest with you. I have never ever seen the interiors of or sat in either the Civic or the Cruze, but I have always thought that the Honda will be better in build quality than the Cruze! Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by SumitB : 6th September 2010 at 23:23.
Old 6th September 2010, 23:28   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
This is news to my ears! You're rating the Cruze's build quality to be higher than that of the Honda? I will be honest with you. I have never ever seen the interiors of or sat in either the Civic or the Cruze, but I have always thought that the Honda will be better in build quality than the Cruze! Thanks for the heads up.
Oh im not talking about only the interiors. The interior plastics on the Civic are good overall. I mean as a car overall. The way the door shuts, how soon rattles start. The cruze feels more solid than the civic (Just my opinion). Of course honda has come a long way since the OHC..

You might find getting an auto for test drive a little hard. Even in big cities all dealers dont have it. But in the auto the turbo lag was not that bad and or annoying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks