Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2009, 15:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
Jetta is a better pick. Not that we have any major issues with the car so far. Looking at the reviews, the car is a good choice in place of skoda now. everyone in this forum know about the skoda credit worthiness.
Please do not forget Jetta shares its powertrain, transmission and a lot of other critical components with Laura so i dont think spares can be priced any lower than Laura which costs a fortune to maintain. The only difference between VW and Skoda a.s.s would be the attitude of the staff and the company.

For peace of mind (After sales support including costing and support) nothing can beat Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Maruti in India.
Old 13th November 2009, 16:26   #17
BHPian

As you have mentioned that you will keep this car for 10years, IMO you must go for the Jetta as this car is built to last several wars.

Honda civic is also a nice car but has a bad fuel economy and the big issue is low stance.

Chevy cruze has the brilliant engine under the hood but the ride and handling is not par with Jetta.
Old 13th November 2009, 17:04   #18
vij
BHPian

Err... May I mention the Sonata Transform. The interiors of the new Transform are very good, has good power, has def more space than any of the cars in your list, great FE, lesser maintenance and is a true D segmenter(all the cars you mentioned are kind of in the C+ segment).

Last edited by vij : 13th November 2009 at 17:11.
Old 13th November 2009, 17:13   #19
BHPian

Sonata is a good car but its low on FE.

Go for Jetta Top end model. I have done the TD of both manual and automatic. Great car.
Old 13th November 2009, 17:24   #20
BHPian

Lot of people are plumping for the Jetta. Will try it out in sometime and see how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
...(all the cars you mentioned are kind of in the C+ segment).
Shows how much I actually know about cars

@mods: Can you please change the thread title to reflect the correct segment?
Old 13th November 2009, 17:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Akhil any particular reason as to why the Altis & Sonata are not considered?
Old 13th November 2009, 18:25   #22
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuprav View Post
Sonata is a good car but its low on FE.
I was talking about the Diesel one. The OP has a budget of 15-17L and the Sonata Diesel might just fit in considering year end discounts.

Last edited by vij : 13th November 2009 at 18:31.
Old 13th November 2009, 18:45   #23
BHPian

Re. Jetta

Rossiter,

When you take the TD of the Jetta, ask for the 1.9 TDI Comfortline. It is the top of the line model. (The petrol engined version that you checked out is basic and might not be suitable).

1. Try to drive along routes familiar to you so that you are focussed on assessing the car's attributes and how you feel in it, rather than worrying about the road. If your normal route has some bad sections so much the better as you can test the car's ride and handling. I did the same when I did the TD for the Altis, the Jetta and the Civic respectively. I could spot the difference in suspension settings and steering feel immediately.

2. Ask the dealer when he brings the car to your place for a TD as to what the tyre pressure should be. Then go to your usual petrol pump to get the tyre pressure checked. The dealer might protest that he has already done so. Remember you will go to your usual petrol pump so you should get it done there. Moreover the dealers keep the tyres slightly underinflated to give the impression of a smooth ride- as most Indians give higher weightage to the ride, over handling.

I had insisted on this for my TDs as well.

As I said earlier, select a car based on your priorities. And which makes you smile.
Buckle up, drive safe and share your purchase and initial driving experience.

All the best.

Regards
Old 13th November 2009, 18:55   #24
VMG
BHPian

why don't you try TD Cedia sports? it is VFM and excellent in all aspects expect resale value.
Old 13th November 2009, 22:15   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
Lot of people are plumping for the Jetta.
You are going to buy your car and you will drive it, not "lot of people" (Everybody is right from their own perspective)..

Take your own time to decide, check out the pros and cons of every model, and select the one which matches your requirements..

I am not promoting or demoting any brand here and I do not want to hurt others feelings, If I, then I am very sorry
Old 13th November 2009, 23:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r@CYR@y View Post
As far as jetta is considered, we yet dont know when VW will consider entering into Indian market seriously..

Sir,
Did you miss the Times of India - 'VW Edition' which caught the entire nation by surprise like a couple of days back ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
why don't you try TD Cedia sports? it is VFM and excellent in all aspects expect resale value.
Cedia commands excellent resale value ? Since when ?

You'd find a 2 yr old Cedia at like 50% of its initial cost.
Not sure if that qualifies as 'excellent resale' in your books.

Buy this if you want to keep it for a long period of time only..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th November 2009 at 14:25. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 14th November 2009, 00:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

@Jigbarai- I think its a typo there, VMG wanted to use the word 'EXCEPT' instead of 'EXPECT'.
Old 14th November 2009, 01:36   #28
BHPian

Rossiter its good to see you in the car section for a change
regarding your car purchase go for the jetta eyes closed, solid car & excellent cruiser, you will find all cars slow cause you are in to superbikes the jetta will be the perfect once in a way car for you, nothing replaces the feel of driving a german car, keep the japaneese guys for your bikes

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th November 2009 at 14:25. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed.
Old 14th November 2009, 04:25   #29
BHPian

Altis and nothing else. 10 years of ownership, there's none that can compete the way the Toyota holds up. May I say even the Honda lags behind in the lasting build quality feel of the Toyota's.
Old 18th November 2009, 14:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

As many of out bhpina suggested JETTA is the perfect buy and can stay easily for at least 10y with out an trouble.
We purchased a new JETTA 1.9 TDI. Driven 6k in two months, its perfect and more durable.
VW is planning hold a bigger footprint in the India market with POLO, BEETLE line-up.

Remember VW service is far better than SKODA, which never comes closer to it.
Meet a guy named Girish in Housr road showroom. PM me if you are towards JETTA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks