Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 09:28   #61
BHPian

Ampere, didn't try out the Trendline as I'm only looking at Autos.

Aparth, the Fortuner looks great, but second row of seats isn't as spacious as the Captiva, plus its only manual.

mkh, the Civic is a great looking car, but its petrol (which is nearly 54 Rs in Blr now). How's the rear seat space in this?

sbraj, you're right. With the sort of roads I get to drive on on the outskirts, the Jetta's GC will kill the car. It was also extremely cramped with 3 people sitting in the backseat.

Will try to do a TD on the Captiva, but the dealer was saying that he doesn't have a manual TD vehicle.
Old 28th February 2010, 10:20   #62
BHPian

Some comparo here on GC.

Jetta's body is as low-hanging as Civic's. My neighbor has a Jetta and I have seen him hitting the curb. Forget 152 vs 170mm of GC in spec, measure how high the body hangs with full load. I'm pretty sure both would more or less be the same with Jetta weighing ~150kgs more.

Jetta's wheelbase is 125mm shorter than Civic's and this is why its less prone to scrape bumps. But it has a longer overhang at the rear and on a surface like \____ the rear end scrapes (have seen my neighbor scraping the road while parking). But VW has cleverly left it black(unpainted).

Jetta's 4-link is superior to Civic's double wishbones at the rear and provides way better handling. Double-wishbones have a limitation of short travel making it more prone to bottom-out.

Overall, IMO, Jetta is *not* free from the so-called GC issue (though its less of an issue compared to Civic). Respect the bumps on roads and they would treat you well. I suggest, wait for the new Jetta(with a better engine) if you are not in a hurry.

Last edited by mkc15 : 28th February 2010 at 10:22.
Old 28th February 2010, 12:19   #63
Team-BHP Support

In that case, the best choice left on the table is Cruze LTZ in the sedan category! Skoda out; Jetta out; Toyota/Civic not in the race. Then all one has is the Cruze.
Old 28th February 2010, 15:01   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerator View Post
Will try to do a TD on the Captiva, but the dealer was saying that he doesn't have a manual TD vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In that case, the best choice left on the table is Cruze LTZ in the sedan category! Skoda out; Jetta out; Toyota/Civic not in the race. Then all one has is the Cruze.
incinerator, as ampere mentioned, choices are getting limited. Since you mentioned Captiva, why not the Fortuner?
Old 28th February 2010, 17:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

mkc15, I thought the Civic's GC problem was largely resolved by the suspension upgrade in 09. Does it still scrape speedbreakers?
Old 28th February 2010, 17:44   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
incinerator, as ampere mentioned, choices are getting limited. Since you mentioned Captiva, why not the Fortuner?
@Raj,

Even if one selects the Fortuner, I think there is a waiting period of one year. I heard that in Bangalore, Toyota has stopped taking bookings.
Old 28th February 2010, 18:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
mkc15, I thought the Civic's GC problem was largely resolved by the suspension upgrade in 09. Does it still scrape speedbreakers?
As you might know already, Civic scrapes bumps due to
1. longer 2700mm wheelbase
2. soft rear suspension (so that effective GC reduces with load)

The face-lift has stiffened suspension (I don't think there is any change in suspension geometry though) and solves (2). (1) cannot be solved. So even theoretically it can scrape bumps/steep gradients and it really does over real big ones. (for example, there are a few mountains near Nelamangala before and after some diversions on the highway). However, if one respects bumps by

1. Slowing down
2. One wheel at a time
3. Avoiding braking, they treat you well. But some nasty mountains expect more respect which Civic cant give. Also, these 3 are not always practical.

I have now driven around 5200kms and I must tell you, GC issue of Civic is grossly over-hyped; I'm not saying its not an issue at all. If a mountain scrapes a Civic (especially face-lift), it'll surely scrape some other cars as well (including non-Honda).

Think about this, we see so many scratch marks on big bumps, do you think all are due to Civic?!
Old 28th February 2010, 18:36   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Raj,

Even if one selects the Fortuner, I think there is a waiting period of one year. I heard that in Bangalore, Toyota has stopped taking bookings.
One year waiting period? Then they better deliver it with better brakes.

incinerator, probably you should consider all the SUV options (Endeavour, Captiva, CRV, Fortuner, Pajero).
Old 28th February 2010, 19:27   #69
BHPian

How about considering the Sonata transform? Have you given that a thought.
Old 28th February 2010, 19:57   #70
Senior - BHPian

How about Chevy Cruze LTZ? Its available in auto transmission now as well at a very competitive price of 13.45 lacs ex showroom which is cheaper than civic, altis, laura, etc.
Old 1st March 2010, 06:21   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
One year waiting period? Then they better deliver it with better brakes.

incinerator, probably you should consider all the SUV options (Endeavour, Captiva, CRV, Fortuner, Pajero).
Not sure what is the current status. This was one month back as mentioned by their own dealer !
Old 1st March 2010, 13:38   #72
BHPian

mkc, not really in a hurry, can wait even a year if it will be worth the wait.

Ampere, Aparth, check my earlier posts in this thread regarding my comparison of Jetta/Cruze/Laura. The Cruze wins hands down with engine and looks, but lacks the basic interior quality that a car costing 16+ should have.

sbraj, Fortuner is manual, I did check it out, but didn't consider it for that reason. Endeavour may be worth a look. CRV is super, but auto is nearly 30! Pajero is an old model I think.

Punit, I agree that Sonata is a good choice due to their great service and spacious interiors, but like their last Sonata model, this one is on its last leg, nearly phased out I think. I would love to go for the 2011 Sonata, but when will it come here and how much will it cost?

So my current options due to GC and all the other issues are narrowed down to Captiva and Endeavour or to just wait!
Old 1st March 2010, 14:30   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by incinerator View Post
mkc, not really in a hurry, can wait even a year if it will be worth the wait.

So my current options due to GC and all the other issues are narrowed down to Captiva and Endeavour or to just wait!
How about the upcoming Pajero Sport? This is speculated to be priced against Fortuner. Though, not sure whether it is manual or auto.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...overdrive.html
Old 5th March 2010, 12:31   #74
BHPian

Raj, looked up the link. This new Pajero didn't really set my bells ringing, somehow reminds me of the Xylo!

Did you guys see the Nissan 370Z? SWEET!! Wish I had 50+ lakhs to throw away!
Old 9th March 2010, 02:41   #75
BHPian

Do consider Mitsubishi Outlander, it is loaded with gadgets, good 4wd option and good looking well priced SUV. It is a better VFM than CRV, X trail and other SUVs available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks