Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2009, 00:17   #16
BHPian

To Zappo:
If someone converts his petrol manza with a CNG kit, the diesel advantage vanishes even earlier.

To WinRide:
Man, go and buy the petrol one without a second thought...you will save lots of money.

Last edited by mohandas : 19th November 2009 at 00:19.
Old 19th November 2009, 02:22   #17
BHPian

I think you would be better off buying a Diesel.
Not just the city drives, Just imagine the amt of vit 'M' u'll save each time u fill er up for a long drive.
But i bet u would be driving a lot more if buy a Diesel. So maybe u'll end up spending more on fuel
Old 19th November 2009, 15:02   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
To Zappo:
If someone converts his petrol manza with a CNG kit, the diesel advantage vanishes even earlier.
In terms of cost, yes. However, the CNG tank will eat up into your boot space and filling up on gas (atleast in a metro) means long ques. Since Tata doesn't provide a factory-fit CNG kit option, there is always a grey area around the quality of install, security, niggles and an absolute loss of warranty.

To me, the Manza makes most sense in diesel.
Old 19th November 2009, 15:13   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Plus everybody wants to avoid a CNG/LPG car in used car market.

Queuing up for hours just for that less 200kms range is surely a big hassle compared to diesel which can be bought from anywhere in the country and has a of 600+kms.
Old 19th November 2009, 18:56   #20
BANNED

Simple situation Sir,
If you are buying a Tata, buy it in diesel only.
Old 19th November 2009, 19:51   #21
BHPian

I would suggest buy a diesel one. I think if you buy a petrol then per kilometer cost will hold you back from using it small purposes. But if you own a diesel then this will not be a problem. You will use your car without any second thought. Finally your usage will increase and hence your investment comes to use. Otherwise what is the point keeping the beast in parking because of per KM cost?

Apart from this, I think Multijet engines are fun to drive engines. I am making this statement after comparing Vista Saffire and QJD and Swift Petrol and Swift Diesel. And Drive by Wire implementation in Quadra/Multijet engines is really fantastic. You never get a sense of load on car, accelerator pedal behaves same for all load conditions.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 19th November 2009 at 19:58.
Old 19th November 2009, 21:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
...If you are buying a Tata, buy it in diesel only.
Sorry i don't buy that. 5 years ago that equation might have been true. With Fiat engines and gearboxes in TATA cars, such generalisation does not hold good today.
Old 19th November 2009, 22:25   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Simple situation Sir,
Thats exactly what i feel and even the resale market feels the same.

Even Fiat petrol cars wont have much of acceptance in resale car market leave alone a Tata car.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:19   #24

Depends..

I suppose much depends on what the car is going to be used for after the resale is done. The nature of usage would decide if petrol or diesel can be suitable. I guess with the new age engines, it is no longer believed that diesel engines are not good.. they deliver as much performance...

A Manza LPG would be great way to sum up what all this car has to offer..
Old 24th November 2009, 11:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Thats exactly what i feel and even the resale market feels the same.

Even Fiat petrol cars wont have much of acceptance in resale car market leave alone a Tata car.
I beg to differ here Sir, I have sold my xeta at 60% price after 3 years and 50000 kms. If you car is well mantained then there are pretty good chances that you can sell it at good price.

Also dont forget that TATA is evolving and look at the scenario after 3 to 5 years from now.TATA has managed to cater to all the segments with their product range. Taxiwalaahs have a cheaper option of CS and XL now, whereas at the time of first launch of indica/ Indigo there was only Ambassador as another option for taxi, So they chose indica and indigo.

Dont worry buddy go for the petrol version and add some funky alloys. Not sure about the adding a new ICE cause I have not got a chance to figure how it will work since the car already has one and I am not happy with the company fitted ICE... I am also going for Manza PETROL and I have JBL Bass tube from my last car and nobody has given me a clear answer how to install it in manza without violating warranty of the car..

And finally 5 years is long time and keeping in view progress of each individual you will do well and you may go for a top of the line car, then you dont have much to worry about your Manza's resale.
Old 25th November 2009, 00:58   #26
BHPian

I have both cars with me a petrol (Baleno) and a diesel Vista QJD. To tell you I am very happy with both the cars. Depending on what you need from your car you can buy one. For eg. I use the petrol car for short drives and office runs and use the QJD when I need to go for a long distance driving.

But to put things in perspective, QJD has a little diesel chatter which might not be audible from within the cabin but outside the car it is very much audible. But mind you the engine is gem of a piece and races better than a petrol due to the available torgue at such a low RPM.

Would suggest you to take a test ride and decide one for your self. Maintenance for diesel is not much different than petrol nowaday though.

Kailash
Old 25th November 2009, 03:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Based on your running Petrol is recommended but since it's a TATA vehicle, I would recommend you to buy a Diesel because of spare parts availability & resale.

And, also since you can afford one why not a MJD ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Add in the EMI cost of the extra one lakh and the diesel advantage is zero.

TD a petrol car, rev it to 4k and you'll not bother with most diesels!!

You DONT need a diesel.

and sorry ... but engineering excellence ... Toyota anyday. Definitely not Tata, for chrissakes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
which is why - a petrol must be a maruti or a hyundai or max a chevy.

a diesel must be a multijet
Quote:
Simple situation Sir,
It is Tata bashing time once again. Most of the people who criticize Tata have never owned nor have they really driven it. Despite these silly comments by people who are influenced by media who are in turn are tutored by their Japanese and Korean masters, Indians have continued buying Tata. It is true at any day Toyota is better than a Tata, but you dont get a new Toyota sedan for 5 lacs. Tata cars may not have a good pick up, but in Indian roads who can race their car, Indica was very spacious, reliable and quite ok for its price, A myth has been created that Tata petrol is bad. Tata is no match for Honda, Toyota or BMW but for 5 lacs you can not get a better deal and Tata petrol is absolutely ok (check up with Xeta owners).

Indica Vista (Safire & Quadrajet) is much better car than most other hatchbacks, but this perception which is propagated through foreign influenced people have done great harm to a really decent car. Taxi owners buy Tata because it is the most economical car with good reliability, if it was so bad as claimed by Tata haters than Taxi drivers would have shunned Indica, after all who wants to operate their business with cars which is always in workshop and is uncomfortable to its customers. It is same with Indigo, it quickly pushed aside Esteem to become No. 1 sedan, customers were paying a premium to travel in Indigo rather than old Amby. No taxi driver went for a diesel Esteem or Zen.

So facts speak for itself, rather than India bashers who think Indian cars are to be avoided. There are of course various flaws in Tata cars but after all nobody is perfect, these flaws really dont harm your driving experience or passenger comfort.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th November 2009 at 13:24. Reason: Improving readability.
Old 25th November 2009, 10:56   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpn View Post
It is Tata bashing time once again. Most of the people who criticize Tata have never owned nor have they really driven it. Despite these silly comments by people who are influenced by media who are in turn are tutored by their Japanese and Korean masters, Indians have continued buying Tata. It is true at any day Toyota is better than a Tata, but you dont get a new Toyota sedan for 5 lacs. Tata cars may not have a good pick up, but in Indian roads who can race their car, Indica was very spacious, reliable and quite ok for its price, A myth has been created that Tata petrol is bad. Tata is no match for Honda, Toyota or BMW but for 5 lacs you can not get a better deal and Tata petrol is absolutely ok (check up with Xeta owners). Indica Vista (Safire & Quadrajet) is much better car than most other hatchbacks, but this perception which is propagated through foreign influenced people have done great harm to a really decent car. Taxi owners buy Tata because it is the most economical car with good reliability, if it was so bad as claimed by Tata haters than Taxi drivers would have shunned Indica, after all who wants to operate their business with cars which is always in workshop and is uncomfortable to its customers. It is same with Indigo, it quickly pushed aside Esteem to become No. 1 sedan, customers were paying a premium to travel in Indigo rather than old Amby. No taxi driver went for a diesel Esteem or Zen. So facts speak for itself, rather than India bashers who think Indian cars are to be avoided. There are of course various flaws in Tata cars but after all nobody is perfect, these flaws really dont harm your driving experience or passenger comfort.
Its not true, how can you tell that those bashing Tata cars have not owned one? I have driven and maintained a V2 150k kms all by myself and i have seen and helped lots of friends and family members maintain Tata cars.

Again the thread is about Petrol vs Diesel variants of Manza. And i dont see anything pro or anti Tata here. Those who have suggested to stay away from Tata petrol have clearly mentioned the resale issue due to bad image of petrol cars.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th November 2009 at 11:01.
Old 25th November 2009, 11:36   #29
BHPian

I find it difficult to understand why Diesel TATA (Vista or Manza) is the only one that "makes sense" to some of us, even if the running doesn't require a diesel heart?

Correct me if iam wrong - i think the reason why TATA Petrols got a bad image was that the early adopters of TATA cars opted for diesel variants; those needing a petrol car stuck to high-FE Marutis. There were no viable options if one wanted a FE, cheap to run/maintain diesel car apart from the offerings from TATA stable.

So what i understand from this thread is: there is NOTHING wrong with TATA petrol cars per-se, its only the notion of the junta -> thereby affecting the resale values -> thereby people staying away from TATA petrol cars -> the vicious cycle continues... sigh.

Hope Manza Petrol can correct this wrong.
Old 25th November 2009, 12:37   #30
BHPian

I have worked for Tata Motors and my recommendation is "Please stick to Diesel" else say goodbye to Tata

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks