Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 02:11   #46
BHPian

Hi Vijay,
First of all, congratulations on your Manza, Its a great car an an excellent value for money . I want to go for the manza safire before the end of the year and wanted to know from you as to what fuel efficiency numbers you are getting in day to day city driving, any constant niggles ? I was actually considering the Vista Q'Jet but this car just bowled me over. Its an amazing car with excellent features and good comfort levels. I am on a budget and the 6L On Road is the max i can go for, so the diesel is ruled out(although i would have loved to go for the Q'Jet 90).

Please do let me know your thoughts as this would help me speed up my decision.

Other Manza owners are most welcome to comment/share your experiences. !!
Old 15th November 2010, 14:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Pardon this, but iam a complete newbie to both tbhp and world of 4-wheelers.
Iam considering the TATA Manza Saffire version. But I have heard MJD will be a better ride; and i don't mind spending the extra lakh to own an MJD vehicle. Is Manza diesel a good option purely for engine excellence even if the monthly running does not warrant a diesel car?

Manza Petrol is most sensible for me since the likely running will be max 800 to 900 km/month. Is it worth switching over to Manza Diesel? I know my running is low; also, I have the following concerns regarding the QJD engine.:
1. Diesel maintenance - I have tried searching this forum for various threads on this topic. Most of them seem out-dated (no QJD-specific threads). I know maintaining older diesel engines were a painful affair. Will QJD be any better. I realise QJD is a more modern engine. Seniors/experts, pls clarify with personal experiences, if any.
2. NVH levels - Deal breaker for me :( I have read thru various reviews that NVH on QJD Vista and Manza are top class with the occupants not realising its a diesel under the bonnet. But what about the exterior noise? I don't want to wake up my neighbours everytime i start the car!! I say this due to a recent experience. A Hyundai i20 CRDI cab (yes, i20 cab! - i pinched myself and reconfirmed) recently came to my office complex and i was shocked by the amount of noise the car was making at idle. It was super new and what ugly kat-kat! It was no different from a much-abused Indica. And i20 is supposed to be a "modern" car! I just don't want to drive in to a relatives house and they mistaking a truck has come instead.
3. Resale to private owners - astonishingly, most of my colleagues feel a diesel TATA will have a high resale only if the buyer is a fleet operator. A private owner may not prefer a 5-year old diesel TATA car. Is this true? Vista is too new in market, so do we have any hard facts to say otherwise?

Experts & Seniors - Please clarify on the above points and help me come to a good decision.
Well - I'm reviving this year old thread as we are now in exactly the same dilemma as Wind Ride.
Slight difference is that ours is going to be almost always chauffeur driven.

I would say we get the petrol (as it falls comfortably within budget and we could get the Aura ABS version - for the diesel it would have to be the Aqua variant) but my family feels the same way as Mithun - see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Based on your running Petrol is recommended but since it's a TATA vehicle, I would recommend you to buy a Diesel because of spare parts availability & resale.[/i]
Its already been a tough fight convincing them on another Tata - with its associated niggles and poor A.S.S - so perceived reliability between the diesel and petrol will also play an important part in the final buying decision...

Edit @ Wind Ride - which one did you finally buy?? and do share your experience so far

Last edited by adisag : 15th November 2010 at 15:01.
Old 18th November 2010, 21:59   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
Its already been a tough fight convincing them on another Tata - with its associated niggles and poor A.S.S - so perceived reliability between the diesel and petrol will also play an important part in the final buying decision...
Looks like Tata is going to lose a customer - None of the dealerships are able to provide a Petrol Manza for TD (and are not coming out in the open - making false commitments they are not able to meet) - Not playing well on the confidence level of the family on Tata

Looks like we're gonna get a Petrol Dzire (In mum's words "It's a Maruti after all")

I'm a bit upset at being vetoed especially when the Manza is clearly just so so much better ......
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:25   #49
BHPian

Well - thats 3 posts back to back - seems like I'm talking to myself

Seems we're back to the Manza - the 2 months waiting on the DZire is unbearable. We are most probably going to get the Petrol (Safire) Aura ABS as the running doesn't justify the diesel. Also since the car is always going to be chauffeur driven the lower power is of little consequence.

Just wanted to confirm that the Petrol (being a Fiat Engine) is troublefree - also hope the Tata guys will be able/willing to service it and it won't be lost in the deluge of diesel cars around it

We'll be booking on Thursday - so any inputs before then are appreciated - else we buy it with fingers crossed
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:44   #50
BHPian

Quote:

Seems we're back to the Manza - the 2 months waiting on the DZire is unbearable. We are most probably going to get the Petrol (Safire) Aura ABS as the running doesn't justify the diesel. Also since the car is always going to be chauffeur driven the lower power is of little consequence.

Just wanted to confirm that the Petrol (being a Fiat Engine) is troublefree - also hope the Tata guys will be able/willing to service it and it won't be lost in the deluge of diesel cars around it

We'll be booking on Thursday - so any inputs before then are appreciated - else we buy it with fingers crossed
The same drivetrain is on the Linea and the Punto, as well as the Vista90. Parts availability or reliability shouldn't be an issue at all. The Manza is a fantastic car, and nothing, i mean NOTHING else in the price range comes anywhere close in back seat comfort or interior space. You couldn't do better in this price range for a chauffeur driven car. The only thing it loses out to the Dzire in is A.S.S, performance and handling, but it regains the edge in equipment, comfort, space and looks. Go ahead with the purchase. We considered it shortly and found it impressive.

Tata is taking some serious steps to improve the A.S.S. I can only talk for the one place I've taken my Indigo CS to. My most recent experience with them was not pleasant, but even then, the issue I had was with the body-shop and not the service. Apart from being overcrowded, I found no issues with service, with any problems being attended to promptly and courteously. Even the issue I had with the bodyshop is being solved as of now. And this is with the regular Indigo CS TDI diesel, which is from Tata's supposedly notorious 'old-gen' cars. Every Vista/Manza customer I talked to has a high opinion of the car, except for one idiot who survived a head on collision at 120kph and blamed the front seat passenger's injuries on the airbag (the passenger wasn't wearing his seatbelt and thus suffered injuries from airbag deployment)

Last edited by vivekgk : 23rd November 2010 at 23:55.
Old 8th December 2010, 18:11   #51
BHPian

Re: Tata Manza - Petrol or Diesel?

@adisag

Any updates on your experience
cheers
Old 8th December 2010, 19:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Manza Rocks !! been driving this for over 13 months now... It's a diesel one and im absolutely loving the car. A well rounded Sedan !!
Old 21st February 2011, 22:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Tata is taking some serious steps to improve the A.S.S. I can only talk for the one place I've taken my Indigo CS to. And this is with the regular Indigo CS TDI diesel, which is from Tata's supposedly notorious 'old-gen' cars.
I think it will not be totally irrelevant if I mention here that spares for the older petrol models may not also be readily available. At least in Kolkata, my local TASS could not readily provide me a new clutch for my 2005 Indigo (GLX-Petrol) car. They kept telling me that clutch for non-turbo models were not available in the market. I had to search considerably and had to carry out the job from elsewhere, where it was available.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Kolkata
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:48   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
I think it will not be totally irrelevant if I mention here that spares for the older petrol models may not also be readily available. At least in Kolkata, my local TASS could not readily provide me a new clutch for my 2005 Indigo (GLX-Petrol) car. They kept telling me that clutch for non-turbo models were not available in the market. I had to search considerably and had to carry out the job from elsewhere, where it was available.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Kolkata
When i had to change clutch assembly for my 2004 dls indigo td without the intercooler , i actually had to run back to vendor thrice as, as many as 3 models are used with different sizes for the indigo all available in original telco packing no less. And nobody was sure of as to what was used in that batch of indigo. they all said get the sample.
It was tiresome to say the least.
No standardization to begin with and finally the new changed one had some play and noise and didnt last at all.

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 22nd February 2011 at 12:49.
Old 2nd March 2011, 14:13   #55
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Some manufacturers/ Authorised Service Centres (infact most) can track compatibility of a component / part from the VIN no, (Vehicle Identification Number).

Else we need to take the part to the Service Centre, but that works for mechnical parts, where there is a bit of intelligence / software / setting involved (as in certain Skoda Laura parts) one needs to figure out the exact part with the correct sofware version via the VIN.

As technology moves on VIN based part tracking will become more and more important.

The older scenarios of multiple types of clutch being used within a couple of years for the same engine will cause problems when we try to source the part in the outside market and having the physical part in hand is the only way out, but at the authorized centre they would be able to figure out which is the correct replacement part by the VIN itself. Ofcourse they would not bother with the check using the VIN if one just going to the authorized centre for the part and not the entire repair work.

Coming back choosing between a petrol or a diesel manza the call must be taken based on the usage only. Resale will not affect in a big way as most cars sold will be diesel and a higher upfront cost is paid for it anyways.

Also from a self driving perspective the diesel Manza is a bit more fun then the petrol one, so if one has the money then diesel will make more sense for the manza if it is self driven.

Short distance chauffer driven Manza are best in Petrol.

Last edited by ACM : 2nd March 2011 at 14:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks