Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 21:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

Baleno Altura 2001 model under consideration

I recently came across a 2001 Baleno Altura; single owner about 42,000 kms on the clock (for about 1.75L); decent condition. We owned a new baleno a few years ago in our family and we absolutely loved the car so really tempted to pick up this one.

Have the following expectations and requirements from the car:

Use it for another 3 – 5 years and 40 – 50,000 kms. After that time, happy to dispose it off at residual value if its no longer worth retaining or keep plugging it as long as it holds strong.

Use will be in Mumbai entirely. My primary car remains my Civic and the baleno if purchased will be used as the general run-about car that the driver will use more frequently and will travel to and fro (this duty is currently performed by our 2 year old i10 which will be sold).

Here are my questions

Given that the baleno didn’t sell in as high number as Zens and Esteems, will it be easy to service (vis a vis availability of spares) for a 4 – 5 year period?

Will spares be easily available for this period (and hopefully a little longer)?

Will the age of the car (2001) have far too adverse an effect on the ownership even though its only done 42,000 kms.

These are the only points I want feedback on. I’m pretty clear on what the baleno is as a product and its general pros and cons.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th November 2009, 21:41   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Here are my questions

Given that the baleno didn’t sell in as high number as Zens and Esteems, will it be easy to service (vis a vis availability of spares) for a 4 – 5 year period?

Will spares be easily available for this period (and hopefully a little longer)?

Will the age of the car (2001) have far too adverse an effect on the ownership even though its only done 42,000 kms.

These are the only points I want feedback on. I’m pretty clear on what the baleno is as a product and its general pros and cons.

Thanks in advance.
General spares are available and is the same for Baleno and Altura models so no issues there. Body parts and cosmetic parts are another story, i faced issue finding door handles couple of months back. Bring in body panels especially rear quarter you have an issue in hand.

Regarding age affecting overall experience, if the car was maintained well and regularly this shouldnt be a big issue.
Old 24th November 2009, 22:01   #3
BHPian

I recently had to talk to local Maruti guys to get me suspension bushings etc, the first signs are showing.

IMHO, the Baleno is a very, I repeat a very good car, however I see no point in selling a 2 year old i10 to buy a 8 year old Baleno.

The ii0 is already depreciated by the customary percentages in terms of market value. Now this is good money spent. You should be reaping the benefits of this investment now.

Unless .. you want to use the hatch of the altura for transporting stuff around.
Old 24th November 2009, 22:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Valid points both of you and useful feedback - many thanks for that. Few key motivating factors prompting the replacement.

1. A sedan is inherently more comfortable than a hatch. I find the back seat ride in the i10 exasperatingly bumpy. Being driven in a baleno will be far more comfortable.

2. Although we have a civic in the house, our 2nd car (the i10) does its fair share of inter city travel. On such occasions the baleno will probably be a more welcome ride than the i10.

3. A bigger engine is always more welcome and in my experience, the baleno has been one of the most fuel efficient vehicles I have owned. Its FE was comparable to the family Wagon R and also to the i10 (our prev baleno regularly gave us 12kmpl in the city with A/C and that's about what the i10 gives me.

4. Its also handy for all those airport trips and generally rough use for lugging around heavy / large stuff.

Jaggu - body parts et al are actually whats worrying me since I'll have those issues for a good 4 - 5 years.

Alternative - used Indigo Marina ... what say?

FYI, for a little more money, I'm also getting a 2007 Indigo Marina with only about 24 kms on the ODO. I'm also considering that - any thoughts, given that the Manza with new engine options is now in. What status for the older engines. I've never owned diesel but the FE would be welcome since I will then run it up and down for sundry work.

Cheers,
Old 25th November 2009, 12:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

1.75 Lacs is too expensive in my opinion.

1.25 and not a paisa more - it is a 9 year old car in another 2 months !!

Otherwise it is a good car and spares should not be an issue.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Guys - thanks for all the replies. Both cars are out of consideration for the moment. Will keep you posted if we finally conclude a similar purchase in the near future. Currently considering other similar priced 2nd hand options as well.
Old 22nd December 2009, 04:02   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thanks everyone once again for all the responses.

Just FYI - in searching for balenos and accents and the like, I actually stumbled upon a very well maintained (end 2003) Honda Accord 2.3 ltr Vti-L model (M/T). It was in fantastic condition and we concluded the purchase a couple of weeks ago.

50,000 kms on the Odo.
3.4 lakh purchase price
Mumbai registered
New tyres
Original alloys.

Got the car inspected at two honda service stations (solitaire and apex) and both gave it a super clean chit.

Really happy with it (its already done one Bbay Pune run although that was with the driver - haven't driven it on the highway myself).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks