Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2009, 01:17   #1
BHPian

Mondeo (Sehwag) vs Fusion (Dravid)

1) Mondeo
3Lacs,
50k.

Loads of power, snob value, i simply love it!...BUT!..the maintanence bit scares me a little, but i could just dream about this car and what it offers..forever!

2) Fusion
3Lacs,
50k.

I like the car (not love! )...should be lighter on the pocket in terms of maintaining, but i would just be 'happy' with the car

Now the things to consider, I earn 35k/month, i require the car for daily 10km drive and weekend driving, and would be my first car (which i payed money for )

As of now, the Mondeo is all over me, but there's something thats just stopping me somehow..

so please suggest what to do?..go the full monty, do the (mon)dew? or just be a little sensible and go for the dravid - fusion.

PS: I dont think i want to consider any hatchbacks or Ikon/OHC etc.

Last edited by Monaro : 26th November 2009 at 01:25. Reason: Formatting
Old 26th November 2009, 01:23   #2
BANNED

go for the Mondeo. its a sweet car. its perfect for the sort of distance you cover. however, if those drives involve traffic jams, buy the smaller car and be happy.

everything should be fine as long as you take care of the car and dont crash it somewhere. if - god forbid - you do, you will be shafted, no matter what car.
Old 26th November 2009, 01:38   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Sincere advise - Both these cars might surprise/shock you with maintanence (Spares esp).

Even I love the Mondeo but then I would prefer looking at it in my neighbours garage than in mine!
Old 26th November 2009, 01:43   #4
BHPian

Thanks blacmagic, the traffic i encounter is okaish at best, so no issues there.

I just at times wonder as to the affordability of the Mondeo, I would absolutely keep the beauty in the bestest shape but dont want to incurr like 10k every month fixing up things..

Though i agree, i just have my heart set on the Mondeo and anything else would be a compromise. BTW any other beastly car i could have for that kind of price?(2.5 - 3L), 'cheap with all the thrills' kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Sincere advise - Both these cars might surprise/shock you with maintanence (Spares esp).

Even I love the Mondeo but then I would prefer looking at it in my neighbours garage than in mine!
Exactly what makes me shudder! , btw does having ur 'Maama' work in Ford as the Marketing Head (North) make things any better??

Last edited by bblost : 26th November 2009 at 13:02. Reason: back 2 back posts, use edit when posting within 20 mins. Thanks.
Old 26th November 2009, 02:11   #5
BANNED

Monaro, I forgot to ask this: do you intend to take a new or used Mondeo?
you can make any car affordable by:
a. finding a decent spare parts shop on your own
b. finding a straight shooting mechanic who has better things to do in life than make you buy stuff you dont need
c. learning about your car and being able to feel a problem as soon as it crops up
d. befriending petrolheads and owners of (a) and (b)

if the Mondeo is as well built as it looks, you should not need to constantly keep spending on spares other than regular wear and tear items.

if you want a beastly car for 2.5-3L, buy a used OHC VTEC. Im sure you will receive a lot of other suggestions that will have merit, but I would suggest the VTEC. you can get more power for cheaper if you have the time and patience to pick up an OHC 1.3 and get the engine rebuilt.

everything will basically depend on the depth of your relationship with the car. if you dont see it going beyond the steering, pedals and gearshift, get a car that comes reliable from the factory. if you however use all your senses and connect with your car, you will be in for a world of [relatively] inexpensive - not cheap - thrills.

cheers!
Old 26th November 2009, 02:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a suggestion: Look at the 2001 Accords and Sonatas.
If not, look for a smaller car, like a lancer, which can be got cheap, and done up well!
Old 26th November 2009, 04:40   #7
BHPian

I always wonder with these high end cars when people say 'expensive if something bad happens'

What happens with the insurance you have for the car? Don't you get insurance on the Mondy?
Old 26th November 2009, 06:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'd go partly with blacmagic and instead play spoilsport and put some Fear of God

IMNSHO - you should buy a car that you can crash, and do up in less than 50% of your monthly salary! You are anyways choosing one of the more expensive brands in terms of maint cost - any car will be worth 2.5-3.5x the price if you go and buy it as spares.

Which in your case would mean an old Accent or Maruti Esteem.

You are simply looking at the upfront cost, not remembering that cars are mechanical items. $hit happens, things break down - a Mondeo costs are D segment (and attendant sourcing issues) to maintain. Fusion's definitely more affordable.

Consider the price of owning a car in totality. One mistake/bad luck and you could end up looking penny wise and pound foolish!
Old 26th November 2009, 06:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Monaro: Is this your first car? If yes, then I suggest starting off with something that is easier on the pocket so that you dont spend everythihng that you earn on the car month on month. Remember both these cars would need to be serviced properly at the ASC for long trouble free life, as outside mechanics cannot do justice to them.

So I suggest go ahead and buy a Maruti. May be an esteem or Baleno if you so want to have a sedan. Don't look any further.
Old 26th November 2009, 07:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Mondeo all the way.... unless you are concerned about maintainance costs
Old 26th November 2009, 09:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
I always wonder with these high end cars when people say 'expensive if something bad happens'

What happens with the insurance you have for the car? Don't you get insurance on the Mondy?
It need not require a road accident for expensive parts to come for replacement. Even in accident claim, you dont get 100% from the insurence company.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
Monaro, I forgot to ask this: do you intend to take a new or used Mondeo?
you can make any car affordable by:
a. finding a decent spare parts shop on your own
b. finding a straight shooting mechanic who has better things to do in life than make you buy stuff you dont need
c. learning about your car and being able to feel a problem as soon as it crops up
d. befriending petrolheads and owners of (a) and (b)

if the Mondeo is as well built as it looks, you should not need to constantly keep spending on spares other than regular wear and tear items.

if you want a beastly car for 2.5-3L, buy a used OHC VTEC. Im sure you will receive a lot of other suggestions that will have merit, but I would suggest the VTEC. you can get more power for cheaper if you have the time and patience to pick up an OHC 1.3 and get the engine rebuilt.

everything will basically depend on the depth of your relationship with the car. if you dont see it going beyond the steering, pedals and gearshift, get a car that comes reliable from the factory. if you however use all your senses and connect with your car, you will be in for a world of [relatively] inexpensive - not cheap - thrills.

cheers!
It would be a used car. I thought about OHC VTEC, its a great car BUT doesn't match-up to Mondeo at all!, I get more bang for the same buck, then again the banging I may suffer is what really bothers me. The car in question is modded quite well too, another compelling reason to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Here is a suggestion: Look at the 2001 Accords and Sonatas.
If not, look for a smaller car, like a lancer, which can be got cheap, and done up well!
Would they be any cheaper in terms of maintenance?, plus they look too dated IMHO..

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post

Insurance claims is something I am not too worried about, its the maintenance bit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'd go partly with blacmagic and instead play spoilsport and put some Fear of God

IMNSHO - you should buy a car that you can crash, and do up in less than 50% of your monthly salary! You are anyways choosing one of the more expensive brands in terms of maint cost - any car will be worth 2.5-3.5x the price if you go and buy it as spares.

Which in your case would mean an old Accent or Maruti Esteem.

You are simply looking at the upfront cost, not remembering that cars are mechanical items. $hit happens, things break down - a Mondeo costs are D segment (and attendant sourcing issues) to maintain. Fusion's definitely more affordable.

Consider the price of owning a car in totality. One mistake/bad luck and you could end up looking penny wise and pound foolish!
I truly understand where you coming from and probably being 'pound foolish' is what has stopped me so far. Esteem/Accent doesn't appeal to me honestly, if I downgrade that much, I would probably try and get a new-hatch instead (not what i want, atleast not for now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
@Monaro: Is this your first car? If yes, then I suggest starting off with something that is easier on the pocket so that you dont spend everythihng that you earn on the car month on month. Remember both these cars would need to be serviced properly at the ASC for long trouble free life, as outside mechanics cannot do justice to them.

So I suggest go ahead and buy a Maruti. May be an esteem or Baleno if you so want to have a sedan. Don't look any further.
Yes first car, but we already own Esteem, NHC...its about what I should have, my thing!, the beauty i take care of, through my own money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Mondeo all the way.... unless you are concerned about maintainance costs
catch 22?

Last edited by Dippy : 26th November 2009 at 17:36. Reason: Post edited: Please use a maximum of two smilies per post. Thanks.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:51   #13
BHPian

you should also take into consideration that modded cars (especially high maintenance chics like mondeos) dont have a huge market for resale. So be prepared to get stuck with it or sell it at the price of peanuts whenever you feel like upgrading. this may also help you bring down the price of the car by a bit.
try looking around for an old accord or maybe cedia.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:53   #14
BHPian

Buy a well maintained Baleno :-)
You will get it for 2.5L-3L. easy maintenance and also fun to drive
Old 26th November 2009, 13:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post

Yes first car, but we already own Esteem, NHC...its about what I should have, my thing!, the beauty i take care of, through my own money!..
Since this is your own money, that is why I suggested. A colleague of mine bought a 7 yr old Opel Astra way back in 2003. He like me had been working for 3 yrs at that time and was earning similar to what you are earning today. Prior to the Opel, he had owned an used Matiz for 7 months. He wanted the Opel because of its size, stature and what not. He bought it and within 3 months he was tired with the maintenance issues. So in 6 months sold off the car, thereby losing about 65k and bought a brand new Santro Xing!

I can see a similar thing happening here. But end of the day its your money and your life.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks